TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 67
Page 67 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2168

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

Blog Entries

Alright! Finally! Great start sir.

Well since half nekkid women aren't exactly the kind of thing I'm going to be caught painting at work, I had to pick something else. I had primed the chaos champion from the dark vengeance set, but after talking to Skel I decided to go ahead and try something with my Sputnik.

I haven't finished the reflections of the red body parts, but I just started basecoating the red.

Thoughts?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

mini-rant time.

I've always been willing to accept the votes of the masses as a true indication of where my work sits, but a 6.9? Ouch. Is it the photos? I've gotten very little feedback aside from Elly, and for a mini that I felt was one of my best to date, a 6.9 sure stings.

*edit* I'm not looking for pity votes, just trying to understand why people voted the way they did.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Blog Entries

if it makes you feel any better this is what shows up to the right when I look at your figure.
    Your Average: 9.0
    Number of votes: 1

That is what I think it deserves sir. A 6.9 does indeed seem very low to my eyes. My very first gold medal figure also got killed in the voting last year so I know how it stings.

Thanks milosh. I can't wait to see how you incorporate the dog into black doggie - the more I look at it, the more the "scene" makes no sense. I'm not sure how I'm going to base it.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    On CMON I feel we are judge on all aspects of our hobby. Painting, Modeling, Behaving/misbehaving photography etc etc
    I think since you joined that you are a dood and your painting has gotten rather ace!
    So here are my constructive thoughts on your last submission so you can go and ace the 9 mark for your next
    Ideas like this can be transfered to any mini i believe (i feel a blog post coming on now)

The Miniature;

The black needs to pop more or have some history added - Highlighting, grime, scarring etc. essentially something to make me wonder "how did he get like that? where and what has he been doing?"
    Grey horns need more attention - Highlight more towards the tips
    Pink horns need contrast and a counter point - Being a sole colour just like the face the pink and the blue complete just a little too much. Fade the pink out to a darker colour towards the tips and paint the tubes under his gun the same pink. This will counter balance the horns and frame the face for the viewer (spot colour)
    The eyes in the tiny head need to glow white (tho this is just some thing i think is cool) to bring even more internal infernal Warpy energy and attention to the face
    The fleshy parts and the armor parts are both rather neutral -either cool out or warm up one or the other slightly (this may be achieved by adding history as mentioned above)
    The nests of eyes need lining with a nice fleshy reddy colour - look in a mirror and pull your eyelids down, copy that colour. It would just be cool with some gloss varnish on it!
    The rocks on the base are too sterile a grey - Go out side and take a very close look at any rock and ask your self how much grey do you actually see?
    Sit the model a little further back and to the right on the base (too late i know) - the balance of the piece will feel more settled this way
    The base needs to be finished neater around the rim (but i would not have stacked it on two) - use a file and craft knife to neaten it.

The Photo;

Light from the front not the top. - some of your painting is lost in shadow Which is a shame because it is good!. BE NOT THE PAINTER THAT GETS CREDIT FOR LIGHTINGS CREATIONS!
    Iron and clean the blue sheet - hairs and bits are not totally tits. Preferably use something less rich in colour and more neutral
    Crop your pictures with Room to breathe - Aim for just over a cm all around the minature when you crop it and 50% more over the minis head.
    Take the picture with the camera a little further away but zoom in a little more - this helps with depth of field and along with the above point stops the mini feeling like its near your nose.

Hope you get stuck into this!

Tommie
    Last edited by Tommie Soule; 03-04-2013 at 07:41 PM.

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Tommie - thanks. You've given me so much to think on. Cheers.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

It's rare I ever type things like this but i got a giddy on for your post

And a YOUTUBE channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Thanks milosh. I can't wait to see how you incorporate the dog into black doggie - the more I look at it, the more the "scene" makes no sense. I'm not sure how I'm going to base it.
    you are right, the scene makes no sense at all, I mean how did her underwear even fall down in the first place, the leash is in the way. I think it would be better to sand off the leash on her legs and turn the dog around barking at her. This would at least setup a scenario where she was startled, causing her to spill her groceries and drop her drawers. Have the leash pointing off the base giving some mystery as to who is on the other end.

Nice info Tommie. You should put that on your blog, very useful stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    you are right, the scene makes no sense at all, I mean how did her underwear even fall down in the first place, the leash is in the way. I think it would be better to sand off the leash on her legs and turn the dog around barking at her. This would at least setup a scenario where she was startled, causing her to spill her groceries and drop her drawers. Have the leash pointing off the base giving some mystery as to who is on the other end.

Nice info Tommie. You should put that on your blog, very useful stuff there.
    That's the confusing part for me too. Why are her undies around her ankles? The only scenario that really makes sense is that she was trying to relieve herself, while carrying groceries AND walking the dog. And who does that? All my friends joking about "where's the toilet?" - ugh.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I've a bit of a dilemma.

I think the chrome is great, but as I'm adding the red it's losing it's chrome feel and starting to just look blue to my eyes. Suggestions?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Maybe theres to much blue losing the effect?
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

The qwestiun here is;
    What colour is chrome and how can we find out?

And a YOUTUBE channel

Are you going all the way up to white? I think you may have too deep of blues in there. Are you going for an SENMM? Also on the lower half it should be more grey and brown imo - check out pics of chrome car bumpers. I think it just depends on the type of "sky" that is reflecting off of it
    My Rank -

@Tommie - Chrome doesn't have a color - it reflects its surroundings?
    @Elly - the problem is that my iphone loves to tint everything blue when I take pics with my ottlite. The ground is actually green/grey.

But in the end, I think I may just re-paint the chrome dark metallic/silver like the studio job. I'll save the senmm for another mini where it's better suited.

On another note - all this snow allowed me to work from home, so I spent some time with my Andrea.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Blog Entries

the skin is looking excellent (like your best skin ever). I se you have her eyes looking the opposite way from where the action is supposed to be happening. You got something special up your sleeve?

seriously top top work on the flesh. I'd love to see a clearer snap of the model.

She is looking great. I do like the subtle skin tones. It looks like a wonderful model to work on.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”.
    George Orwell

The eyes are looking left because that's the way I painted them. No ulterior motives. Though I may have to think of one now

And here's a truer color version of the sputnik. Shall I still remove the chrome?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I like it as a light blue, but do not buy it as chrome. For reflective chrome I would expect some of the red to be reflected...which would be awful complicated.