TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 98
Page 98 of 109 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2168

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

I just have to say, Its worth having a go at both I have found either way at my skill level you have to touch up what ever one you do first.
    Dain's face is so good love the amount of contrast its great to see. I might have to get some bones to practice with.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Well done putting the SBS together. A lot of people will find value in it....now show us some competition level work!lol
    I agree - great tute - now let's see some progress on those competition pieces
    My Rank -

Merry Christmas mt Trystan!

T

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Thanks Tommie. I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday.

Well with that SBS out of the way, we're back to Dain. Just some basecoating - you can see there's going to be a lot of gold and steel.

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Soo....
    Someone (who shall remain nameless) recently told me that while Bones are all well and good, my few remaining readers were clamoring for something a little flashier. I'd hate to disappoint - so here's a cloak.

I know it was going to be black, but I've tried it several times, and no matter the amount of glaze medium or the ratio of black to grey, I just can't get it smooth. So I thinned the same purple as the inside with some glaze medium, and hit most of the cloak. Of course the grey provided some pre-shading, so it wasn't a total loss. Then I added a little of the reddish purple to the blueish purple and hit the highs. I've got my freehand picked out, now it's just a matter of actually painting it. That's the easy part, right?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Yeah. I love the way you can work the black shadow into your primary colors so well.

The deep black shadows look nice with the purple. One thing though, the shadow on the far left looks too dark. Maybe it's just the angle, but I wouldn't think that area would be in much shade. I might go halfway between your purple and that black.

What are your freehand plans for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    The deep black shadows look nice with the purple. One thing though, the shadow on the far left looks too dark. Maybe it's just the angle, but I wouldn't think that area would be in much shade. I might go halfway between your purple and that black.

What are your freehand plans for this one?
    You're right - it does need to be lightened. As for freehand, well, let's just say it's some of the KD:M art we've seen in the updates.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I think I'm going to end up scrapping the freehand idea I had. It won't scale properly, and would just look like a mess.
    In the mean time, I did actually put some paint on him. I'm not going to rush, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't just want him done.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I like were your going with the blue armour you've got a good gradual blending going on there! Just one thing though, you have your light placement right and your layering is great its crying out for a bit of colour contrast. The whole colour wheel thing would be invaluable here I think so a bit of glazed red and purple into the highly shadowed bits of the armour will add interest and up the level of contrast beautifully. Just make sure that your glazes are really thin and the brush is only slightly moist. Just my two cents.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I'll have to look into it - if you say it's a good idea, it's worth trying
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

You guys remember Deth and Taxxis? Well the only thing keeping me from taking final pics and submitting them is the base. I'll show you what I've got, and I need your advice/suggestions on how to spruce it up.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

A very small plant or flower maybe - of course then you have to call it Life: Deth & Taxxis. Failing that a small dead tree or shrub to keep that barren look. Either way it feels like he is reaching over or for something in the foreground...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

Blog Entries

Maybe he is reaching for his back scratcher?

This is over the top. But he could be siphoning the life from something living, indiana jones AOC style. half bones half flesh! The the most decay being near his hand. I originaly thought a cow but you could do anything. Cow might be too big.

It dosnt need much imo. Maybe incorporating some of the blue skin colour into the base.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

But how to incorporate the blue? I could do a plant or two like Zab suggested - I do have some nice photo-etch basing stuff from GW Fantasy set. I thought about adding a tombstone or gargoyle (statue) or chest, but I don't want it to look like I just stuck something on there. There's also the matter of Ingrid - Deth was/is supposed to be reaching for her, and that's the reason he's so far back on the base. But I'm not sure I want to add her to the base at this point - I really like the paint on Deth and am not sure Bones Ingrid will measure up. Plus there's the headache of trying to photograph multiple minis on a base. More pondering is needed.

So before you guys crucify me (*cough*Elly*cough*) for straying from the Lion yet again, know that there is a reason (or at least an excuse). Some of you may know that it's been bitterly cold here the last few days - like -40 Fahrenheit wind chill cold. As a result, I have been working from home the last 3 nights and painting/sculpting there. So as the weather is only down to negative 10, I headed into the office. As I was packing up all my painting stuff to slog in, I left behind my Scale 75 NMM set. That's got the colors for both the silver/steel and blue/steel NMM I've done on the Lion Knight. I could get by with my other greys to finish the silver, but I don't want a different shade on one bracer. And I'd still be stuck on the blue. So....

I've had these sitting around for a while, and have been itching to paint them. I've really liked the Corvus Belli line since I first saw them when I joined CMON. I may never actually play Infinity, but I'll have a nicely painted army nonetheless. Tonight Zero gets the nod, since she's one of the few primered already. White is pretty much done, orange is a rough base coat. I'm following box art, since attempts to come up with an equally attractive alternate scheme fell short.

And a scale shot with the Lion:
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Light bulb moment -

I mentioned bits earlier. I have a few tombstone/memorial looking bits from, IIRC, some GW Vampire Counts Zombies box. I don't want to just stick it on there, as it would look out of place. But what if I cut it at an angle, so it leans. I blend it in with some gravel/clump foliage/flock, and use some of those nice photo etch vines to wrap around it? Paint it in a blue/grey to go with Deth.

How's that sound?

I could even put it near/under his outstretched hand.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

-40 blah! Ive been in a caravan in Wales - colder than the surface of Pluto
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.