TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

yeah, the slurry itself can be handy if you have a pitted mini, you can wash and then sand to get a smooth finish. but otherwise, talc is brill. you can use it to roll out sheets (like i say, use talc like flour so use it on the work surface and the tools) and rods. great for hard edges
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Proportions fixed, and chest started:
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I think the proportions are working out well, for a first attempt haha.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

So I'm sure you all remember Mr. Milliput there. Well I scrapped him. I watched a great sculpting vid by the Miniature Mentor folks, bought myself some reaper armatures (and some calipers), and mixed milliput and green stuff. Results are below. He's about 37mm tall.

Oh yeah, and I made myself a cooker too. What a godsend that thing is.
    One last thing - Elly3438 stopped by and made me practice NMM. Below is my first attempt at it:
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Nice work so far. The GS mixture you switched to is definitely a lot smoother than the old version. Definitely a good first try at the NMM. Did Elly set an egg timer and loom over you while you worked, firing out quips from Schwarzenegger movies? That's how I remember it whenever we shared painting space.

LOL. I can't say that he did. In fact I would finish my bit while he was still perfecting his example. He truly works at sub-glacial speeds. Maybe that's why he's got several GD trophies and I still haven't even entered a GD.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

if i might be so bold as to make a suggestion...having got the model to the stage its at now would you not be better off taking him apart at the legs and arms this would give you room to sand, file and smooth the limbs and get all those flat sharp edges just right then pin the limbs and stick em back on. must say im impressed with both moonmin and you for trying this my head would have been turned by now lol.

good luck
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Funny you mention that - I was actually looking at the legs yesterday as I was curing the putty. I seem to have made a rookie mistake, and the rear leg should actually be angled out a bit. It's not in an anatomically impossible position or anything, but it looks off, since the waist is turned. If I do end up taking the leg off, I will certianly adjust it.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

YYYyyYyYyYYEEEEAAAGHHH!! Get to da choppa!!!!

im gonna do one of these mini aaatures see how i get on.lol (ooops cant get on for falling off)
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Your Sp@Zmarine it looking a lot better on the second attempt, and at least you notied your mistake before you were too far into it. As a note, I've heard that mixing GS and milliput will give you something that's as easy to work with as GS, but can be sanded smooth. I haven't been able to try this out yet, but I'm planning on doing so for my next commission piece.

The eldar chicks look like they have a good start too- moar progress pics!

This latest attempt is roughly 50/50 standard milliput and green stuff. It takes longer to prep a batch, as you have to mix the Milliput then the GS, then the two together. That and I keep ending up with more than I need. But I've used that to practice other sculpting stuff, like banners, chains, etc.

But it's easy to work, easy to smooth, easy to trim, and it does sand well.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Still needs bulk, but I've already had to stop and cure twice because there is so much mass added. The pic on the left is a preview of where this is going...
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

looking good so far! much smoother now youre mixing :-)

A few problems - the chest logo isn't really centered, and the chest sticks out too far. I'm not going to re-do the whole torso though, so I'm just going to keep soldiering on and remember that for the next guy.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

that is actually good job! sculpting armor is not the easiest thing.

Looking good. The emblem wings are great but the skull could do with more work - mainly the eyes, just a little widening. I find skulls very tricky at that size!

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin82 View Post
    Looking good. The emblem wings are great but the skull could do with more work - mainly the eyes, just a little widening. I find skulls very tricky at that size!
    Yeah, skulls are very tricky, even just to freehand them at that size.

Break out some reference pics, that may help a bit

Yeah - I may just go back and make that one of those stupid gems.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460