TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 37
Page 37 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

The flesh looks great, the lighting looks interesting - and i bet will make sence when the scene is complete . Its a really nice model. Im interested to see what you do with the wings.

Kath - she's metal, thankfully. Part of the reason she's so heavy. I have plenty of shop towels around thankfully.
    Meph - I hear you there. Though that's the appeal of a succubus, no? Sexy as all get out, but really after your essence!
    Marjedi - It's a fair point. I did contemplate some other options, but I went with the more human look because she's supposed to lure you in. Hard to do with glowing red peepers!
    Ronin - Glove. Good idea. Have lots of those around too. It's a great mini, with a lot of character.
    Count - Your guess is as good as mine on the wings. I haven't gotten that far yet. I do have a wicked scene planned, so hopefully I can pull it all together.

Thanks all!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

So I finally finished my roof yesterday. I can have my evenings back.

The nun showed up yesterday. Unfortunately, she's too small, even at 54mm, to work with Sophie. So I'm going to have to change direction again. Not too big a deal. I have another monster for the nun to fight. Sophie's going to be opponentless though.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Nun??? Guess I missed something somewhere
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

AH yes - I forgot I hadn't mentioned this in the thread. My plan was to have Sophie confronted in the act of spiriting a helpless monk away. I got the Sororitas mini from Velard miniatures.
    Name:  VM5402_1.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  27.6 KB
    But Sophie is 72mm, so the brave sister only comes up to her stomach. I can't really use a forced perspective since Sophie has to face the camera. So I will leave the battle out and just keep Sophie and the portal.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Ok THAT is a baaaad ass warrior nun! Awesome mini! She would look great against some of the badguys and gals from Andrea miniatures

Yup, a stern look that brooks no compromise, wearing iconography and weapons, ready to draw blood and impose faith through violence and misunderstanding, that's a Catholic alright.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

So since the nun is out, I came up with an alternate scene. Unfortunately it's a lot more involved than the nun, and will require lots of time elbow deep in green stuff. I'm not in a sculpting mood, so I broke out this new mini I just got.

So nice to be working back in the 28-32mm range. Yeah the details are smaller, but the large areas are smaller too.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I like the skintone a lot.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks Meph. I wanted to go for a drow look (dark skin, violet eyes, white hair - as if I have to explain D&D to THIS crowd), and I found a perfect base color in P3's Coal Black. It's a color Kathryn had recommended to me, and while it appeared more of a green-black than the blue-black I expected, once I started shading with GW's Astronomicon Grey, it came together. I think I am going to push the leather lows ever lower (brown/purple) and the highs a bit higher (orange/white), and then it's on to the other stuff. Her shield should be fun too - it looks like it's been dissolved partially.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Y'know layering up dryburshed highlights with thinned glazes can produce a really deep effect. A bit like I managed to pull off a bit on my Death Company. Maybe worth a try?
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Actually that's what I've been doing with the red - I started with P3 Sanguine Base, then mixed a shade or two with GW's new Red, then took the red, thinned it a lot, and started glazing. That's how I'll continue to work the highlights and lowlights. Shame I just discovered this technique with Sophie!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

The camera is catching the colors, but unfortunately is getting way too much white. It looks fine in the tent, but the camera is washing things out. Hopefully as I cover up more white it will get better.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Heya Trys! Looks great so far! Sorry I've been so quiet. My back is still giving me fits. grrrr! I keep having to take muscle relaxers for it and those either knock me out or make it so I can't think straight. Anyway, I got a little work done on my stuff but not much and ReaperCon is fast approaching!

Trys, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the Coal Black wasn't really black. It works fantastic as a glaze with regular black. Chad is the one who told me about it. I like you're drow colors though. When you get a chance, we'll get you some Reaper paints. I picked up some more and the more I use them, the more impressed I am with the quality. The Dusky Skin triad and Dark Elf Skin Triad are really nice.

Oh for your Drow, one of the things in that Jen Haley vid, highlight up to a hint of normal human flesh tone - not much, just a little and it really adds a lot to it, especially since these colors have a real cool tone, that helps warm it up just a touch. Plus, I think the human psyche is hardwired to recognize certain colors as skin tones, so using flesh as a highlight makes it more realistic.

Okay, gotta take the meds so my back will stop screaming at me.

Somehow, Kath on muscle relaxants makes me think of the The Beatles' Yellow Submarine animation.
    Hang in there, girl!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Hmmm....pokepoke..is she alive?.....pokepoke......jury is out on that one, but judging by the doped up look on her face i guess she is fllyyyyyiiiiinnnng!!

Hmmm... Kath high on medication... Mental picture, check!

Name:  kitten-covers-funny-27.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  10.6 KB
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Haha that's probably what Kath is seeing right now!

No real progress pics this am - couldn't get into the zone yesterday, and the silver nmm is doing it's best to not work. ><
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

roflmao!!!

OW!

Now if I had some vicodin to go with it, then the pink floyd pic would probably be close to the truth. But muscle relaxers just make me sleepy and when I am awake I can't focus or concentrate. Absolutely no fun at all.

Ah well, just drop in the couch and watch the entire series of 'How I met your mother'. That got me through my concussion. It's legen-! Wait for it... ^^
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project