TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 40
Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

Then I think that using the sponge technique would be the way to go. Lightly sponge on scuffs and scrapes where such would naturally show up. And the a brown oil wash with a bit of added varnish where grease and old polish would pool up or leak from the joints.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Well, any battle damage might be considered to be recent hah, be it scratches, bullet impacts etc etc. That's why I put nu rust on mine, just dents & scratches.
    I'd definitely for for some light and coherent scratches where the plates might scrub together or against the scenery. Elbow joints, knees, fingers, knuckles, some scratches on the shoulder pads and lower leg armour, some wear & tear around any small panels and plugs. Once in-theatre, Marines can be expected to stay in the field for days or weeks on end without any decent support so any use of weathering due to usage is OK hah, but neglect-weathering is a no-no.

Also, some oil or grease marks around the joints might look good.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Well, any battle damage might be considered to be recent hah, be it scratches, bullet impacts etc etc. That's why I put nu rust on mine, just dents & scratches.
    I'd definitely for for some light and coherent scratches where the plates might scrub together or against the scenery. Elbow joints, knees, fingers, knuckles, some scratches on the shoulder pads and lower leg armour, some wear & tear around any small panels and plugs. Once in-theatre, Marines can be expected to stay in the field for days or weeks on end without any decent support so any use of weathering due to usage is OK hah, but neglect-weathering is a no-no.

Also, some oil or grease marks around the joints might look good.
    Good points. I may have to go look at oil paints today if the weather holds. Hard to do oil and fluid leaks with acrylics.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Well, I've got the second Forgeworld painting book (brilliant stuff in there btw) and there, besides oil paints, they also use brown ink mixed with gloss varnish (like Klear) to simulate oil or grease, which kind of perplexed me at first. Still, oil paints do look better though. And they're correctable until fixated, which is a huge, huge bonus.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Got the black tamed, and added the highlight. It's still a bit hard to see in these pics, but it's more noticeable in person.

I picked up a couple oil paints (Transparent Red Iron Oxide and Van Dyke Brown) for weathering, along with some Ivory Black dry pigment for soot work. Time to get oily!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Blog Entries

van dyke brown is an amazing color for shading metallics or just about anything. Good call.

Last update for tonight - I didn't get to the oils, but I did block out all the parts that weren't staying blue (apart from the rivets, and the shoulder decorations).

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Nice one! That's a good shade of blue.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

looking smooth there trys real smooth, Meph's going to have to pull his finger art lol.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Only thanks to your flawless sculpting Cass

There are a few hazy spots, but they'll be cleaned up with the weathering process. Which I hope to get to today. Yay!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

First thing's first - oil paints! Where have you been all my life!?

Okay, now that that's out of the way. They grey is just a base coat. Those parts will be white. I'll probably give the grey a wet sand to remove brush strokes and then add white as a glaze until I get the color I want. I can shade it that way too. Next up, metallics and weathering?

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Looking gooooood!
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”.
    George Orwell

Nice Trys!!! If you're planning on using pigments for weathering it will be easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    First thing's first - oil paints! Where have you been all my life!?
    Another one sees the light! Hallelujah!
    Although it's probably handier to use oil after the weathering and metallics, then they can enjoy the oil love as well.
    But looking good man, you is goin' faaaast!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

I wanted to get more done today, but masking the shoulders took a long time. It just wasn't going to work trying to brush those surfaces.

And for those who hadn't seen where this guy came from:
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Looking great, green for the eyes?
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

For some reason a brand new, freshly washed, shining car comes to mind....

....and birds gather in a nearby tree to plot their course and trajectory. The first notes of Ride of the Valkyries float through the air, growing louder, with the rapid approach of a freak thunder-shower.

its really coming together nicely trys
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

This will be the last update for a bit, as I leave town tomorrow and won't be back until the 18th.

I toned the white knobs down, and got the idea to make them sort of little radomes and other areas you would hide sensors. Hence the little rivets.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460