TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 73
Page 73 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2168

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

Damn, my last post got lost. Now I have to type everything again... ARGGG

SO, you could try to shade the mini down with the complementary color - red. By this you desaturate the shadow and as we learned: Highlight colors are more saturated than shadow colors.

As for the pinning: I would suggest to ALWAYS pin a big miniature at least on two spots. If the miniature only touches the ground on one spot you could also pin it somewhere you will later not notice, like under the crotch. When you are ready with painting, you just clip this pin as short as possible and paint the remainder black. Quick and dirty, but none will notice.

i had this cow glued on the base that's included the whole painting process HERE. depends it you want to use that base though. he is so skinny tall it works basing him before painting.

I hadn't thought to pin the other foot. That's a great idea. I was shading the green down with black, which is why it didn't really stand out. I shall try some red and see where that gets me. I want to keep a dark forest green overall, but with enough contrast to not look flat.

Skel - I don't know how I didn't notice him in your WIP. Maybe I did and just forgot. I haven't figured out the final base plan (he won't be alone), but I do still have his rock around, so maybe that's the answer.
    Last edited by TrystanGST; 04-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Looking good so far! Really liking this guy... but Mold line alert on his fingers! As your painting is progressing you'll definitely want to start taking a lot of extra time prepping your minis as errors, crustiness, and mold lines will stick out that much more. Just keep that in mind as you're jumping to a new level of painting.
    My Rank -

You could also try purple for taking green down to a darker shade which adds depth without flattening the green, but it can get pretty dark pretty fast so maybe only in the deepest recesses?
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Looking good so far! Really liking this guy... but Mold line alert on his fingers! As your painting is progressing you'll definitely want to start taking a lot of extra time prepping your minis as errors, crustiness, and mold lines will stick out that much more. Just keep that in mind as you're jumping to a new level of painting.
    Yeah - basing and prep work are definitely my weak points. There's a few mold lines that have become apparent as I lay paint. I will endeavour to remove as many as I can before it's all said and done. Good catch though.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Been a productive weekend, despite some RL setbacks.

The glare is a bit heavy, but that's because I used my phone to take the pic and not the camera. Got the base painted up (but not done). I started work on the larger base that he will sit on. I'm a bit concerned because all the shading I did for his skin was assuming he was standing on level ground, and as you can see he isn't. Hopefully it won't be that noticeable.

Also,

The pic makes the legs a bit too yellow, as I sprayed with bubonic brown. But that's my phone for you. Got the hair highlighted, and the head and collar attached. Need another coat or two on the legs to smooth things out. Also, the legs aren't attached.
    Last edited by TrystanGST; 04-14-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

These... these are her 'legs'??? oO Damn japan, you're creepy!!!

Can't comment too much on the minotaur so far, because the lighting is a bit heavy. :/ Can't tell where highlights and shadows are painted.

Without getting too detailed, no. Those are called Striker units, and they enable her to fly and shoot down aliens with magic and big machine guns (did I mention she's a witch?). Her legs are inside.

As for Ahnamoth, hopefully these are a bit better. The horns and hooves are just basecoated. Was playing around with colors on the trophy. I think it's an interesting look.

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Whats colours did you use for the rocks on the base, I like the blue/green look of the greys.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

10 - I based it with Coal Black from P3, then shaded down with black and back up with codex grey.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Very nice, I would of bet there was greens/blues in there!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I really have to thank you guys for recommending the P3 Coal Black. I am really finding it useful for that dark hint of turquoise in different applications. Now I need to try it on rock after your impressive effort.

I think I got the tip off originally from Kathrynloch. It's certainly useful for giving black that little extra. I just didn't want plain grey rocks, and while coal black was actually too light to serve as the darkest color, it worked out.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

A good effect will have a go myself with that combo... er what ever happened to kathrynloch? I havent seen her on the forums for ages?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I still chat with her occasionally - she's busy becoming a best selling novelist on amazon. I keep trying to draw her back over here, but no luck so far
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Great work as always Trys. Are you going to make a base for Fran? I was thinking about Kath the other day and i am very happy she is doing well, although i do miss her. Please send her my well wishes

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Francecsa will definitely need a base, since she doesn't have feet to stand on, per se. Though I haven't figured out what to do, since the obvious solution of supporting rods is not one I'm fond of.

The light/camera is flattening some of the shading, but I used the same colors as I did on the rock to do the leg armor.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Ahnamoth is looking great. You could always make her base a cloud or something. I was planning to do that with Hanna.

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

The cow is looking very nice. In fact, I'm having to sit on my hands to stop myself from buying one. The anime girly is looking pretty much how I imagine she should - I'm not really into the whole bright-and-shiny garage kit scene (which is a shame, as its the one kind of mini I could probably get around here without resorting to t'internet) but you've certainly done a sterling job of keeping things neat and tidy, and highlights seem spot on, too. Moe's idea of a cloud base is a good one, I reckon.

Also - it's good to hear kathrynloch is doing fine - like others I had been wondering how she'd been getting on. I'd be obliged if you could pass on my howdy-do's to her next time you're chatting. Ta much
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer