education in Indiana - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: education in Indiana

no longer an is to it vike: its happened. i could have retired at 55 10 years ago, if the world still worked the way it did at the turn of the century. now im already certain i will work till 70 at least. my mom keeps saying, "well keep saving john. i did it on my salary. " she fails to realize that with inflation and such. a say, 50k salary isnt what it used to be. i have two kids 50% of the time, and have little to no debt, yet im still stuck with barely being able to put $50 a month in the bank. sad really.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    YES! I want to go back to 80 hour work weeks, unsafe working conditions, cronyism, no medical coverage, no representation, no voice.
    Join the military, you got everything but the lack of medical. Though the medical is pretty poor as their purpose isn't to make you better but to get you working as fast as possible using as little money as possible.

Welcome to the new American Way.
    Where the middle class is becoming extinct...

Quote Originally Posted by NightFallArts View Post
    Welcome to the new American Way.
    Where the middle class is becoming extinct...
    Not extinct per-se, but the gap between upper and lower class is seemingly* becoming larger and larger. As the economy got better and the markets opened up it suddenly became easier for more people with money to invest and spend it making even more money.

*I havn't seen the numbers for it yet

Quote Originally Posted by StarFyre View Post
    I'm actually glad unions are disappearing...if only that would happen here.

Sanjay
    jeebus

we got screwed by our bosses at work with pay. they owe me something like £10k over a period of 6 years. our union is helping us fight to get that money back. i wouldn't say remove unions..ever.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I agree, unions are a good thing but they sometimes cause more harm that good. Like when they support a strike for airport personnel in the peak of the holiday period.
    It just turns the public against their cause and gives bad publicity for the union.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    jeebus

we got screwed by our bosses at work with pay. they owe me something like £10k over a period of 6 years. our union is helping us fight to get that money back. i wouldn't say remove unions..ever.
    Well, Sanjay is what? In his early 20's? Working in tech or some other field where unions are rare? He probably thinks his employer needs him due to his amazing, unique and irreplaceable skills. So he can be forgiven for not understanding the value of unions... but I'm not sure why he thinks nobody else should have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedwrekka View Post
    Not extinct per-se, but the gap between upper and lower class is seemingly* becoming larger and larger. As the economy got better and the markets opened up it suddenly became easier for more people with money to invest and spend it making even more money.

*I havn't seen the numbers for it yet
    It's not seemingly, the numbers do bear it out...don't want to drag this thread off into the economic data wilderness but suffice to say the data is all out there in various forms from a variety of sources. Nobody disputes the fact that the gap is widening, just whether it matters. One thing I did run across that is directly relevant to this discussion however is the following chart (alas only with data up to 2005, though the EPI has updated data through 2007):

http://www.frbsf.org/news/speeches/2006/1106bb.gif

Education is more critical now than it has been in my entire lifetime (though I'm only 36) and all these states are hamstringing kids chances at a better life in 20 years by cutting education funding. If I were more cynical I'd say that they see the falling wages for the uneducated as a good opportunity to lower expenses and increase profits for their corporate masters. I don't quite believe they're that evil though...yet.

I think I need to go look at pictures of bunnies now, this stuff always raises my blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by No Such Agency View Post
    Well, Sanjay is what? In his early 20's? Working in tech or some other field where unions are rare? He probably thinks his employer needs him due to his amazing, unique and irreplaceable skills. So he can be forgiven for not understanding the value of unions... but I'm not sure why he thinks nobody else should have them.
    i think he's my age, ie around 30 (i'm 29). could be wrong
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    i think he's my age, ie around 30 (i'm 29). could be wrong
    I'm only 26, working in IT, and I still find the unions valuable. (and no, we don't have one)
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Blog Entries

Whilst I believe unions have value, I don't think it is as high as they do. Especially in terms of my paycheck. When the union president makes more from our dues in a year then most of us will see our first 15 years from our employer, I smell a problem. I also feel unions lead to a mentality that the value of the employee is more sacred than the value of the company even to a point that the company fails.
    I find it sad that during our last round of lay offs people were amazed that the senior citizens who qualified for retirement took that option to save the jobs of the employees they worked with who had families to support. That single rich (enough) men were ready to quit the job they enjoyed so that family men could provide food for their families has become an nomaly instead of the norm. That is what I find sad. Not directly union related but in some ways it was.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboyjjb View Post
    I find it sad that during our last round of lay offs people were amazed that the senior citizens who qualified for retirement took that option to save the jobs of the employees they worked with who had families to support.
    That is really admirable. I like to think that in that situation I'd offer to retire early to make sure a younger worker (family or no) could keep their job... after all isn't retirement something to look forward to? But who knows, times are tight

I was again reminded of my union's usefulness when I looked up my paternity leave benefits, and discovered I will be "topped up" to 95% of my salary... thus allowing me to be able to AFFORD to take time off work to help my wife. If I was stuck with the unemployment insurance benefit level (55%), it'd be a choice between losing money we'll need more than ever, and leaving my wife to struggle alone all day with a new infant :P

Ahh the evil labor movement, those horrible folks who gave us all the weekend. (end sarcasm).

Wow, I find this really sad... a manager at f*cking Arbys is more appealing than being a teacher. WTF sorry Uber
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 04-04-2011 at 03:16 PM.

elly i know....but it is what it is. my paternity was and has always been 3 days off. i have to use my other days for the rest. my ex got 10 days and then had to use her own vacation days for the rest. but thanks to mitch daniels we may not even be able to use those. lol doesnt matter, we use most of them every year anyway.

Here is my ranking:

Ah sorry to that Uber, but good luck with your new job

Elly3438
    Wow, I find this really sad... a manager at f*cking Arbys is more appealing than being a teacher. WTF sorry Uber

A little over 2 years ago i started my first real job outside university to earn some money. I conducted anonymous telephone interviews over the telephone ( politics, market research) for a big institute. I started talking to a co-worker, turned out she had a college degree, was giving lectures at one of Berlins universities and nevertheless money was so tight that she neede this stupid job to meed ends. And she wasn´t the only one. We had psychologists, political scientists, ... . At my new job ( service hotline for a big german online store ) we have a guy who is actually a process engineer - now he takes customer complaints at the phone. As you see , his 5 years of college really paid off.

My point is, that it is sickening to hear politicians go on about the importance of education and at the same time, stuffe like this is happening. Cut backs everywhere and waste of highly trained people.

@No Such Agency

I think we can talk politics, as long as we keep it civil and rational. Main problem in the US seems to be the fact that some people ( not all ) seem completely unable to solve problems in open debate and instead believe that political discussions should mainly be name calling and/or fear/hatemongering - at least taht how it looks from my side of the pond.

Anyway, that´s my two cent, and again all the best with the new job Uber.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 04-04-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    • Let me put forward another suggestion: That you are nothing more than a lucky species of ape that is trying to understand the complexities of creation via a language that evolved in order to tell one another where the ripe fruit was?

-Terry Pratchet, Death and what comes next

farin: fear is the single most stupid thing that americans suffer from ALL the time. my union rep keeps sending out doomsday scenarios of what next year will be like. i asked her to take me off and she said no, im part of the union. so i terminated my membership. sorry but they havent done anything for us in years. the teachers union for my town costs almost 2k a year, and i havent gotten a raise in 5! screw that. ntm, insurance, rights, all that.....they totally castrated.

Here is my ranking:

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

I for one, am going to miss ubies yearly "summer break' taunts ..........
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 04-04-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    " So remember that, when they're beating your ass with a metal shovel while you're dressed as Little Bo Peep - it's not deviant...it's art.