Sucker Punch sucks - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sucker Punch sucks

I love Hudson Hawk!
    Maybe I'll go see it after all.
    Knowing it will suck means I can just enjoy the flesh fest without trying to follow the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukigod View Post
    I know there's a lot of hate for this movie, but I kinda liked it. Yeah, I'm weird like that - I also liked Hudson Hawk.
    Nothing wrong with that! The important thing is not to equate I like with it's good (or vice versa)

Far too common that, in fact I think it has become the norm for voting, rather than any attempt at giving an objective score.
    ...ponders any parallel with CMON scoring...

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Nothing wrong with that! The important thing is not to equate I like with it's good (or vice versa)

Far too common that, in fact I think it has become the norm for voting, rather than any attempt at giving an objective score.
    ...ponders any parallel with CMON scoring...

Einion
    But how do we objectively measure a movie? What are the objective criteria for rating a miniature, for that matter?
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

The number of people that walk out, throw up, have an epileptic episode?

You know, I liked Hudson Hawk as well. Well I guess there's always 5 dollar ticket days, with buck soda and popcorn!

Oh, fun fact. Studies have been done that the more soda (Caffeine) that a person drinks, the more that person enjoys/ likes the movie.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    But how do we objectively measure a movie? What are the objective criteria for rating a miniature, for that matter?
    I was going to ask the same thing. Good/bad and "like/dislike" are really both subjective anyways. I'm not generally going to consider something I like "bad", just as I'm not usually going to dislike something that I think is "good".
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Blog Entries

I duno, in same vein that I liked the LotR trilogy, I still found myself thinking "Isn't this almost done yet?! My ass hurts...Ah i'm hungry"..."Just f*cking finish already"
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    "Isn't this almost done yet?! My ass hurts...Ah i'm hungry"..."Just f*cking finish already"
    Hehehe...

I have the maturity of a 12 year old.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Howard Tayler, who writes the kick ass comic Schlock Mercenary and who is a painter at coolmini last I checked, liked it. His review is worth reading:
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com:8080...r-punch-review

I think Rocky Horror Picture Show is a crappy movie, but recognizing that doesn't stop me from watching it, or going to the drive-ins when there's a showing....

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    It's only important to try, as opposed to the usual amount of effort: zero

In terms of rating a miniature you could think of it like judging at a show. I don't know about you but I want a judge not to vote with their own taste - where "I don't like it" will automatically mean low score - but to aim to objectively score the work done, whether they like it or not. Finding people who can do this is the hardest thing about picking good judges but IMB it should be an entrance requirement; interestingly it is why some top modellers are never picked to judge, since it's well known they can't (or won't) do this.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    It's only important to try, as opposed to the usual amount of effort: zero

In terms of rating a miniature you could think of it like judging at a show. I don't know about you but I want a judge not to vote with their own taste - where "I don't like it" will automatically mean low score - but to aim to objectively score the work done, whether they like it or not. Finding people who can do this is the hardest thing about picking good judges but IMB it should be an entrance requirement; interestingly it is why some top modellers are never picked to judge, since it's well known they can't (or won't) do this.

Einion
    I think I see what you're saying. Have a set of criteria to score against, versus a gut feeling.

I just got back from Sucker Punch. It was awesome. Well parts were. Overall it was still a good movie, and well worth full fare (to me).
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I am going to have to agree with you TrystanGST. I thought that it was going to be a pretty bad flick. To my surprise I was impressed by the special effects (CVG's whatever!) and that was good enough for me. I especially like the Machined Kreiger style robot and the battle scene against steam powered zombie krautzis!! I even put it above a few JPop flicks such as Tokyo Gore Police or Machine Gun Girl.

Blog Entries

It had its moments ... but overall it was forgettable. Called the plot twists long before they happened.

Soundtrack was excellent, however. Take the money you would have spent on the movie and buy the soundtrack instead.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesndrs View Post
    I am going to have to agree with you TrystanGST. I thought that it was going to be a pretty bad flick. To my surprise I was impressed by the special effects (CVG's whatever!) and that was good enough for me. I especially like the Machined Kreiger style robot and the battle scene against steam powered zombie krautzis!! I even put it above a few JPop flicks such as Tokyo Gore Police or Machine Gun Girl.
    Haha Tokyo Gore Police and Machinegun Girl? That's some high standards you have there! (I've seen both btw)
    The Steampunk Nazi Zombies were my favorite too.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The Steampunk Nazi Zombies
    I'm sold! Gimme Gimme Gimme

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Soundtrack was excellent, however.
    My thoughts as well. I kept trying to figure out which piece of music they were going to use for the next vignette.
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    your my boogaboo. thanks suki.
    Bigshoota.com

Granite City Waaagh! Fest!
    The Big Mek Manual

bullets left and I'm comin' for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Haha Tokyo Gore Police and Machinegun Girl? That's some high standards you have there! (I've seen both btw)
    The Steampunk Nazi Zombies were my favorite too.
    I am unfortunately a fan of Jpop sci fi/horror flicks! I know they are pretty low standard and there are tons I can't even stomach to watch. (Tokyo Gore Police and Machine Gun Girl are about my limit!) There are probably better comparisons but I will buy Sucker Punch on DVD/BluRay one day after it's released just to watch all the fight scenes over again!! There were even orcs (or goblins or hobgoblins) in the movie which came as a surprise to me!
    Last edited by Mon Skallywag; 03-31-2011 at 12:41 PM.

HEY!
    Give a warning!

"SPOILERS!"

Something?!
    I actually might want to SEE it before I know everything about it!

Sorry JesterzUSMC I will remember to do that next time! (Silly me! I'm such a noob!)
    I don't think you will be disappointed if you go check this out for the action and CGI even if I spilled a few beans though.
    Last edited by Mon Skallywag; 03-31-2011 at 06:13 PM.

*Spoiler Alert*

It's a heavily CGI'ed movie with hot chicks in skimpy outfits blowing stuff up.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460