Posting Figures you have not painted yourself?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Figures you have not painted yourself?

Default Posting Figures you have not painted yourself?

I`m confused. I always thought that you are only allowed to post work that you have done yourself or at least colaborated. Yet in todays gallery there is a guy who sells Figs from various high-ranking artists (and not even stating that he hasn`t done them). Please enlight me.

Best regards, Yuggoth
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

Just had a peek before posting and sorry but that is just rude tbh. If you are posting pictures under your own name and want people to vote on it then at least state WHO painted it in the first place.
    But at the end of the day their greed is their undoing. I don't know anyone who will bid what he's asking for. I think they put too many zero's before the decimal point.

I saw these myself and apart from the over priced minis they are good but I would not pay over a thousand quid of my own money for a single mini no matter how good it is I think it is a damned outraged, the guy will get an over rated ranking for work that he has not done and he can't even be arsed to credit the painter. I only knew who had painte4d the elf because Alexi had her sig on the photo.

Blog Entries

And who are we talking about here so that he may be shamed into ammending his wicked ways and be made to take the Long Walk into the Cursed Earth????

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

The person is called 'salem'

An example

http://www.coolminiornot.com/275023

$2000 and not even his own work

Can an admin check when he registered? I used to see things like this on a vintage amp forum where unscrupulous people would take photo's posted by others and use them in scam e-mail auctions. Is his service legit?

i know that mini. did tommie or ollie kick flip do one like that?

flagged.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...hp?55262-salem

Says join date 3-28-2010.

Just providing the info. I know how dangerous lynch mobs can be.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

You -could- ask Alexi here if she knows about this guy or remembers the mini for example. One of her pics is in the lot.

It's not very nice to spew what in the end might be just trash talk before at least doing some background research. pm him, ask nicely, pm the mentioned artists and form a legit opinion before making an official thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

I have sent the user a PM.

Please allow the Mods to attempt to deal with it before we scramble the firing squad.

It's not very nice to spew what in the end might be just trash talk before at least doing some background research. pm him, ask nicely, pm the mentioned artists and form a legit opinion before making an official thread.
    Hey, I`m german, I`m supposed to be rude! :-D
    Joking aside, I did not want to suggest that he actually stole the pics from the artists or things like that. I guess he has bought from the original painters and is now reselling his collection. I have no grudge against this guy. I just realised that things like this make the whole cmon ranking system kinda pointless.
    On a side note: maybe cmon would benefit from a special section where collectors can show off with their collection. would that be feasible?

Best regards, Alex

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    I have sent the user a PM.

Please allow the Mods to attempt to deal with it before we scramble the firing squad.
    Being sensible and all that. Gah, you're such a downer!
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

my only issue is that he is using the actual pictures the original artists took. but if they say, "contracted" him to sell them for him. who knows.

Here is my ranking:

If hes selling them but not giving the painter credit, he should not be allowed, however someone posting a model they owned but giving full credit to the painter i wouldnt mind, the owner may just want people to see good work.

im rambling

Blog Entries

After looking it seems to be a collector selling his stuff, but it seems strange that there is no text explaining any of this or obviously crediting each artist. A true collector would present the works in a more enthusiastic way if you ask me, I know I would if I owned them, some great pieces there.

dfb

ps - can we lynch him now?

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Well, the way I understand it is there is no reason why he needs to credit the artist. Assuming it was a standard sale the artist has no claim to the piece any longer, and it's the owner's to freely sell. The only way it would be fraudulant is if the seller claimed it was painted by himself, or painted by someone other than the original painter. There is no need to explicitly state who painted it though.

Stating who painted it may increase it's desirability, but it does nothing to alter the quality of the item for sale. By not stating who it was painted by a buyer may determine a value for that mini that isn't caught up in speculation. In this case I would think it's preferable to advertise who the original painter was (to drum up price), but I don't see how there could be a legal requirement to do so. Doesn't a photographer who has sold an image to a stock photo supplier relinquish their rights to the image, and any sales thereafter?

EDIT: CMON may have a user agreement clause that prohibits posting work that was not painted by the poster for rating, but I'm fairly certain posting it for sale shouldn't be prohibited based on my admittedly limited understanding of business law.
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 03-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

well nothing to worry about now. theyve all been taken off.

Here is my ranking:

Even if this individual case is settled my initial question remains:
    Under what circumstances are we allowed to post work that is not our own?
    For me, it is more or less a hypothetical question because my gallery is empty yet. But one that nontheless interests me.
    Could I for example upload pics for an auction and erase them afterwards so they do not count for ranking?
    Could I upload something is I clearly state that I have not painted it? What if I bought from Ebay or can`t rememer the original artist?
    As far as I understood, you could always go to the forums to show stuff you like, but you should not upload it into your personal gallery. Some answers in this thread indicate different views on the subject. Maybe a mod could give us the official cmon policy on this?

As always best regards, Alex

I don't have a problem with posting other peoples work as long as the painter gets the credit they deserve. Plenty of posters do that on here but most of the time they have the decency to do that.