Sculpting a griffon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sculpting a griffon

Default Sculpting a griffon

Hi.

I have been sculpting this griffon for some time. I started this when griffons were somewhat useful in the game too. Now it is just too far away and too cool not to finish. It is on a 40mm base.

This is the first monster I have sculpted. I am pretty happy with it, but I still have a lot to learn. I am using greenstuff and milliputty. The wings are from the Island of Blood griffon.

I would wellcome all tips and commets.

More pics here: http://www.chracian-dev.net/figut/hoeth/griffon/

you appear to be doing everything right, lovely job. the only thing and im sure your going to do this anyway is a wire support for the tail. oh and possibly some small feathers at the base of the back legs. really impressed by the head by the way.
    Last edited by cassar; 03-31-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Wow, what an impressive griffon! I especially love the way his beak is sculpted. The only thing I`m not sure about is the way that his wings are attached. I think he needs a bit more muscle on the front edge, close to where the rider would be seated. But thats a weak point in all GW sculpts too, so thats just me beeing nitpicky. Never mind, a fantastic detailed sculpt! Will you cast it or is it just for your personal use? I can see a market for that guy :-)
    Last edited by Yuggoth; 03-31-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

Fantastic piece of work. Love everything about it, but think the claws looks awesome.

Best regards,

Eelco

Yuggoth, thanks for pointing that out. Now I see it too. I might add some more feathers there to make it look more muscular. I have to think about this. On the other hand, this is indeed getting a rider too, and those pansy elves wear dresses. So maybe it wont show that much when the rider is there.

cassar, do you mean wire support for the tail? If yes, that is the plan indeed. I am goiing to but some fur to the hind legs too, but at that point the feathers are already transformed into hair, imo.

Thanks for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthallas View Post
    Yuggoth, thanks for pointing that out. Now I see it too. I might add some more feathers there to make it look more muscular. I have to think about this. On the other hand, this is indeed getting a rider too, and those pansy elves wear dresses. So maybe it wont show that much when the rider is there.

cassar, do you mean wire support for the tail? If yes, that is the plan indeed. I am goiing to but some fur to the hind legs too, but at that point the feathers are already transformed into hair, imo.

Thanks for the support!
    yes mate weak key skills lol edited keep up the good work.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Anthallas thats just amazing. really good work.

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

I love this. The body looks a little short, but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I could ever hope to do.

Is this a personal project, or are you going to cast it?

It looks plain awesome, if you ever think about casting it, I'd buy one for Karl Franz. Way nicer than the GW ones. Only thing that looks a little odd is the back pair of legs, they look a little too thin from the knee down. Dunno if that's still WIP or not, just thought I'd throw it in.

Cheers,
    Yves
    Greets from Kraut-Land,
    Yves

Thanks for the kind words

I have no plans of casting this. I have done silicon molds and cast stuff in resin, but that has been for personal use only. I would not hope to produce good enough quality for selling them. Also, to be honest, I kinda want to have an unique griffon all for myself

The rear end of the griffon is still wip. Notice the very much missing tail too! The hind legs are going to get toes and some fur. I am not going to leave them as they are. However, do note that, knee is the one joint up. The hind legs get thin at the ankle. I do admit, they do currently look too thin.

This pic has been a source of inspiration for me:

This one has ears. I generally like ears. I am not quite sure though. Should mine have ears?

Screaming Griffon Drawing by Stanley Morrison

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/s...-morrison.html

Top work. I vote yes on the ears.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Top work. I vote yes on the ears.
    I too think ears make the Griffon.

Though I like the back end to be more lion-like.

Really a great, amazing work so far. Ears and tail are missing, ok, but you probably will sculpt them in the same high quality.
    Just WOW

It's a bit a pity you're not going to cast it - but to own such a unique miniature is quite a good reason for not doing so

I will take new pics tonight. I have sculpted the left hind leg, but I need advice! Stay tuned

Some fur added, tail started (has 'ire support!) and one hind leg finished. What do you think? I am not sure about the fur in the leg...

The pics are taken in poor light, so they are not quite as good as the previous ones. Good thing that colors are not important at this stage

Last edited by Anthallas; 04-05-2011 at 03:07 PM.

That is some truly impressive work- great job on your first monster!

Wowee! Looks great. Would like to see how it would look with sculpted wings. Talons are superb.

I wouldn't "worry" about that fur. It looks superb.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.