Sculpting a griffon - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sculpting a griffon

i think its a shame you dont cast this, you could earn big bucks!

Well, lets take the possibility of casting this in consideration. There are several things I would have to find out, and changes to make for it to be possible.

1. I would have to saw the griffon into bits, to make it physically possible to fit it in two part mold. This is of course not impossible, but I have not been sculpting the model with this in mind, so it might prove difficult on some parts.

2. The wings are from Games-Workshops Island of Blood griffon. I think that GW would mind, if I recast their wings. It is only legal here (Finland) to reproduce stuff for own personal use like that. So I would have to sculpt new wings. This is not at all impossible.

3. I would have to find a professional partner to do the mold and cast the models. I have done some casting myself, but I think that the quality would be much better if done by professional. I would not like to sell crap, you see I live in Finland, and... well shipping this thing to US (for example) might be a little tedious.

4. I have a job, that pays well enough. I don't want to start a business to sell the figures. I like to keep my hobbies... well, as hobbies

yess really good job for a first sculpt! i just regret the form of the plume on the body, the tip pen are a little bit rounded (i hope you understand my english) but it's details and your griffons is really nice!!

This is not my first sculpt, just my first monster sculpt. I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by plume and tip pen? Are the feathers too round?

ok excuse my english, yes the feathers on the bodyseems too round at their extremity in my opinion but it's really a detail, your griffon is really nice

No, I totally agree! I started this ages ago before island of blood was released. Then I realised that I can use wings from that griffon. The annoying detail is that my griffon already had round feathers and the wings have rather sharp ones. Ok, I can imagine that a beast like this might have different kind of feathers, but at this point I would have liked sharp feathers on rest of the griffon too.

ok i understand Anthallas so keep up the good job!

I completely love every single bit on this guy! Though one thing with the new pics bothers me, why does it look like there's a mould line/gap running along its back?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

The line in its back is there because I made it there to indicate where the spine would be, and to help sculpt the legs. I have already filled it in, so don't worry, you won't see it in the next pics!

aha! that makes a lot more sense.
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Well, here we go guys. The griffon is practically ready. I will still touch up some details, but nothing drastic.

I would like to start painting this, but it might be better to sculpt the rider first...

LOVE IT!
    The ears look Really good!
    Digging on it man!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC View Post
    LOVE IT!
    The ears look Really good!
    Digging on it man!
    Agreed. This thing is awesome.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Indeed. Well done!

not much i can add other than ditto!
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive