Sculpting a griffon

Thread: Sculpting a griffon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sculpting a griffon

Hi.

I have been sculpting this griffon for some time. I started this when griffons were somewhat useful in the game too. Now it is just too far away and too cool not to finish. It is on a 40mm base.

This is the first monster I have sculpted. I am pretty happy with it, but I still have a lot to learn. I am using greenstuff and milliputty. The wings are from the Island of Blood griffon.

I would wellcome all tips and commets.

More pics here: http://www.chracian-dev.net/figut/hoeth/griffon/

you appear to be doing everything right, lovely job. the only thing and im sure your going to do this anyway is a wire support for the tail. oh and possibly some small feathers at the base of the back legs. really impressed by the head by the way.
    Last edited by cassar; 03-31-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Wow, what an impressive griffon! I especially love the way his beak is sculpted. The only thing I`m not sure about is the way that his wings are attached. I think he needs a bit more muscle on the front edge, close to where the rider would be seated. But thats a weak point in all GW sculpts too, so thats just me beeing nitpicky. Never mind, a fantastic detailed sculpt! Will you cast it or is it just for your personal use? I can see a market for that guy :-)
    Last edited by Yuggoth; 03-31-2011 at 09:08 AM.
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

Fantastic piece of work. Love everything about it, but think the claws looks awesome.

Best regards,

Eelco

Yuggoth, thanks for pointing that out. Now I see it too. I might add some more feathers there to make it look more muscular. I have to think about this. On the other hand, this is indeed getting a rider too, and those pansy elves wear dresses. So maybe it wont show that much when the rider is there.

cassar, do you mean wire support for the tail? If yes, that is the plan indeed. I am goiing to but some fur to the hind legs too, but at that point the feathers are already transformed into hair, imo.

Thanks for the support!