Crystal Brush voting pics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Brush voting pics

Default Crystal Brush voting pics

I am not sure if any one else is finding this but there seems to be quite a wide range of the quality of the pics that have been taken of the various minis that makes it really hard to accurately judge what mark they should be given.

Now I can appreciate that there are going to be a lot of minis to photo in a short period of time which makes things difficult to get right for every one but, some of the single minis in the pics are really rather small when compared to the overall size of the photo and some seem to be suffering from too much light from a flash ( that might be because they are shiny but, with the small size of pic it is impossible to tell).
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

The pictures are HORRIBLE! No other word, you can't see nothing with the flash, all minis seems to be crap and amateur:/

Really suprised and disappointed about a $14000 worth contest where you don't even have decent photos ...

Yes, I was very excited about this competition, It really is a wonderful idea. But the photos are so small and of such poor quality that I can't in all good conscience cast a fair vote on any of the entries. In fact I very quickly gave up browsing the galleries as I really could not see decent images of any the entries. Very disappointing , given the prize pool at stake. I only hope that a fair judgement is reached in spite of the poor photography. : (
    I would suggest that in future comps the entrants supply their own photos.

I was expecting a lot worse when I read these comments Just in case, I've found that if you click on the image a pop-up bigger version appears (though my internet connection is so slow at the moment it's taking a while!).

Only voted on a few but there's a LotR Numenorean Warrior in desaturated green & beige that really caught my eye. Not a show winning piece I suspect but inspiration for the ones I have stuck in a figure case somewhere

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

I agree that the photos provided to us online for voting purposes are sub-par. I do not feel that I can fairly judge/vote for pieces using these photographs. Not sure who's idea it was to use a reflective velvet background without any light compensation on the camera, but it's turned out awful. They should have went for a white bg. Maybe less "classy" to look at, but it lends itself to better photos.
    I also have to wonder about which miniatures I'm being shown/allowed to vote on. Are we (the online voters) being given access to every model that was entered? It doesn't feel like there was a "first cut" before these were put up, and there really should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by brushmistress View Post
    I agree that the photos provided to us online for voting purposes are sub-par. I do not feel that I can fairly judge/vote for pieces using these photographs. Not sure who's idea it was to use a reflective velvet background without any light compensation on the camera, but it's turned out awful. They should have went for a white bg. Maybe less "classy" to look at, but it lends itself to better photos.
    I also have to wonder about which miniatures I'm being shown/allowed to vote on. Are we (the online voters) being given access to every model that was entered? It doesn't feel like there was a "first cut" before these were put up, and there really should have been.
    I agree... the pictures aren't that great, and I expected to be blown away by the quality of the entries but instead I'm trudging through pics upon pics of tabletop quality minis... a first cut would have been REALLY nice!!!

I managed to slog my way through all of them, and there are a lot of very nice models in there. BUT, I have to agree with everyone else. A first cut would be very helpful before taking and posting pics. Then they could spend more time getting quality pics of a limited number of models. I've got a feeling voting will be heavily skewed toward the first twenty or so entries that come up when you start voting...

Almost all pictures are over-exposed, looks like the camera is left on automatic and is having trouble with the black background.

Newbie, please be gentle avalon008's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I may intervene in the conversation, and already forgive me in advance translate my English through a translator, I have always enjoy the photos of the best artists worldwide for a global contest as The crystalbrusch it was obvious to of professional photography for either amateur or professional work .... so I 'm will refrain from voting and I hope the other will like me
    avalon
    Ce qui ne te tue pas te rends plus fort.....
    il vaut mieux vivre ses rêves que les rêver.....
    my blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/avalon008
    my personnal website: http://www.avalonsmini.com
    associated website: http://www.id-model.fr

I agree on the bad photos and it should definitely have been a cut as it is now the site is far to slow (for me atleast) to go over and vote for everyone and i have yet to see anything that really blows my mind away. Far from the top rated ones on cmon so far, will keep looking for a while longer still.

Well this is the place to say it - the photos are awful - I've taken better photos at events with amateur kit - I assume someone actually tested how this would look before the event?

I refused to vote because I couldn't seriously judge what was good comparably!

The thing that I wonder about is that some of the minis have just one shot and some have three or four (with different angles and what nots). Who is deciding this? seems to me that all the minis should be shot the same way as not to bise the judges (folks online).

Well I guess that this is the first year for this and there are too be some bugs that need to be worked out, Hopefully Chern Ann or someone will start a thread on the things done right and wrong, just for the feed back if nothing else.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

I will vote but the feedback should be taken into account for next time.

agreed with the poor quality photos!

I didn't vote because I felt that the pictures were absolutely inaccurate representations of their subjects. So my voting could have been totally wrong, which would make it a waste of my time.

One thing needs to be said though: the photos make the contest a huge disappointment for me. I expected the Crystal Brush to be the #1 painting contest, bigger than any GD. But what they did was terrible. Just see the comments all over the internet - complaints and complaints. Not about poor paintjobs, but about failure in organization (namely: poor photos which didn't allow for fair voting).
    cheers,
    Mahon

visit Chest of Colors - All About Miniature Painting and Miniature Painting Service

I was skeptical at first because I was unsure how much advertising was put into this. I could be wrong but Im assuming there was minimal work done outside posting the info on this website and a few forums(maybe?) and letting others spread the word.

Im not sure why a competition offering such high prizes would not of received more entries, more people and more interest. It seems that GDs in Europe attract more attention, and perhaps that is the problem, that all the competition is in Europe and not the US.

I could be wrong but perhaps there was an assumption made that simply having the biggest prize was enough for people to go.

They would be wise next year to spread the money around more... Theres no incentive for people to fly from europe for "one chance" to win money, but if there were 10 prizes of $1000 or more, or 15-20 prizes over $100 on top of prize packs and so on, there may be more incentive for people to go, but the bulk will think they have no chance.

The online aspect seemed almost unplanned or untested as it featured many bugs and/or organizational issues. The photos were very poor, and as mentioned does not display a good effort from a "highly acclaimed" painting competition.

However! I do believe that because it was an average start, there is plenty of room to grow!! There are certainly poorer run competitions and better ones, this is a learning curve I believe, or perhaps more effort is needed overall.

Hey guys,

I agree with you on the quality of the pictures. Most of that was the setup of the table for photography. The area was lit by 4 undiffused spotlights with no real reflective surface to get rid of those harsh shadows. The pics taken against the light gray backdrop looked a bit better due to some of the light reflecting back, but I'd definitely suggest a light box and diffusing the lights for the next time around. It would definitely up the quality of the photos.

In response to your query, Legion, there may have been an element of intimidation associated with entering the competition. I spoke with some of the people in attendance and many of us agreed that some first time competition entries might have been discouraged by the fact that they'd be competing against well established, slayer sword winning artists and given up.

Having seen all the miniatures in person I would definitely say the quality of many of the entries was exceptional. The detail and work on Marike's winning piece was absolutely exceptional.

Don't forget as well that April is convention month! Salute! in France and others may have dwindled the field somewhat, but there was a good showing of artists present.

No doubt some of the entries are really good (JRN's, Mathieu's, and a few others were my top picks), but I talked myself out of this competition because of the fact I didn't think I had time to complete something worthy enough to compete with what I expected to show. I was expecting GD France times a hundred... anyways, I'll be giving next year a try, and hope the saturation of great artists is a bit more (I love competing!), and more artists in general. (instead of 11% of the total amount of entries coming from one person LOL!!!!)

My feedback, for what it's worth.

I spotted the Crystal Brush banner on the homepage last week & perused the bare Gallery section to get a sense of how things would work. Pure fluke I encountered it though, the Forums are my default, I rarely visit the front page at all. Next year a giant heads up thread in the Forum would be appreciated.

Email in my inbox announcing online voting commenced received about 5AM Sunday morning (GMT, or possibly BST ). Read it at midday. Did a little voting. Popped out to shops, on return had missed deadline, only managed to vote on a couple of dozen entries. A big fat clock, counting down to online voting close on the right side of the page would have clued me in (and avoids time zone confusion).

Upon commencing voting I was in random mode. Was there a way to view just entries for a single category? I have no interest in squads of blummin' Space Marines but had to plough through them to get to the stuff that interests me.

I generally find the load time for these pop-up picture windows poor, a standard WIP thread on the forum & they take 10-30 seconds. I was waiting up to a minute for them to load in the Crystal Brush Gallery. I do only use a 3G dongle for internet connection though so it may just be me

The pictures, on the whole were better quality than I had anticipated but, as noted by many others, there's room for improvement next year. I did wonder if anyone had taken it into account when choosing what to enter? JRN's piece, for example, is a very simple 2-sided piece that should be easy to get a front & back shot of. Lots of bits sticking out in all directions are always going to cause focus issues, better not to enter a piece of that style?

The Winners. I want a page that I can scroll down to show me the winners like a normal webpage. Having to click on that little drop box to bring up one at a time is frustrating. So I've not even seen them all.

Pimp it more! Seems to have been fairly good exposure on the sites that I visit but barely anything last week? I guess because all of the organisers were involved in setting up for the actual con. Next year perhaps employ an office marketing monkey to sit & post all over the place, hyping the event, counting down voting deadline, etc. (I don't use Twitter or Facebook so perhaps this was done?). A bloggy/twittery update-an-hour from the con would be nice, especially for those of us who have never attended one Lot's of camera phone quality pics of the crowds, stands, entrant queue, on the spot 3 question interviews with "name" painters, distracting stats (40% of attendees appear to be in fancy dress, 2 of 350 CB entries so far with unpainted bases, etc.)

I am disappointed not to have managed to vote on all of the entrants in the end but am not complaining about the top three, well done everyone

Fingers crossed for an even stronger event next year now that a benchmark has been set.

Cheers, B.
    Last edited by BPI; 04-04-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Quote Originally Posted by victoria View Post
    I would suggest that in future comps the entrants supply their own photos.
    think thats a bit unfair, considering that many people are kickass painters but lousy photographers. i dig the idea more that a studio photagrapher is taking all pictures at the place, more fair imo. but then better quality is needed obviously.
    Last edited by SkelettetS; 04-05-2011 at 09:10 AM.