Crystal Brush Online Voting Pictures

Thread: Crystal Brush Online Voting Pictures

Default Crystal Brush Online Voting Pictures

Justice was not served to most of those models due to photography imo.

well yes - the photos are shockingly awful - but at least the online element wasn't 100% of the result - hopefully the judging in the flesh helped make sure the decent pieces placed

Voting widget broke after about 45 entries for me and it told me the artist name and entry number rather than giving a rating option....

Worrying.

Not only the quality of pictures isn't great but it is also very uneven. There are pictures that look almost perfect, there are other that are of rather poor quality. That makes judging essentially impossible. Considering that I saw several of this minies "in flesh" I am not sure that making any completely unbiased vote is really possible. Essentially, I can separate miniature in two groups - those that look well and those that don't and vote 8-9 for those that look fine and 1-2 for those that don't.

Second problem is organizational. It is, of cause for organizer to decide how to best organize competitions like this but when 18% of miniatures in one category come from the same person one should wonder ...
    In general, I am surprised with such a low representation here. Is it all entries or only "final group"?
    Last edited by skeeve; 04-03-2011 at 03:24 PM.

I was surprised with the amount of entries as well. Fantastic work there but I was expecting way more artists to enter, or maybe it was narrowed down? Also I didn't see an option for where to vote... I'll take another look.

Ok back from second look, in the gallery section I only see the photos, artist name and ID#, but no place to vote at all. Is it somewhere I'm missing? (Sorry sometimes I'm not the most spotty with this stuff)

Ah I think maybe its the time difference, I'm noticing the post time as past voting time.. sorry!
    Last edited by Minicreatures; 04-03-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spot check failed

As a contestant I was pleased with the pic quality (at least for mine). It's not perfect but that would have been impossible with the set-up they were using. Next time they should use a light tent probably. I was off-line for the weekend at the con so I have no clue how the voting went here. I just know I'm disappointed to see no comments on the vast majority of entries. I was hoping for some feedback which is why I entered, and why I'm here now.

Default Voting

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain_Aerion View Post
    As a contestant I was pleased with the pic quality (at least for mine). It's not perfect but that would have been impossible with the set-up they were using. Next time they should use a light tent probably. I was off-line for the weekend at the con so I have no clue how the voting went here. I just know I'm disappointed to see no comments on the vast majority of entries. I was hoping for some feedback which is why I entered, and why I'm here now.
    True, the photography was sketchy on more than a few minis but I could still make out most of the details. The problem I had was with the comments in that, I could not enter any at all. It was grayed out. I do wish I could see the judges' voting sheets for the contest. I think it would increase the contest's transparency and thus it's winners validity. I believe most participants want to be recognized for the quality of their work. More importantly they want to be recognized as the best. They want a legitimate win. Having said this, I do feel the online voting was conducted very well, aside of the glitches. It will only improve. Now, I believe I may give next year's a try. I sincerely hope many more will also.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”.
    George Orwell

True, being there and seeing the minis in person I noticed a lot of the fine highlighting got washed out in the lights. I'll make sure i bring my diffusion filters and lightbox and offer them up to the guys next year if the photography setup appears the same.

The camera equipment was fine, I believe it was a 12-35mm zoom lens on a DSLR. So the options are: operator error or subterfuge. Knowing that they knew day 1 photographs were garbage and reshooting all the models on day 2, I lean towards one more than the other. The pictures should have been taken while the models were in the display, that lighting was as good as it would get, along with a nice blue background. Max aperature and every picture would have been solid. Every model would have looked as it should. How can you base 50% of an entry's score on a photograph where 1 in 10 figures is in focus?

I did not hear of a cut on day 1 so that was every model that was entered. You could enter two entries per category, unless they changed the rules late.

I left there thinking one thing: DeMarini doublewall.
    Last edited by supervike; 04-06-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: borderline inflammatory statements.