State of the hobby business

Thread: State of the hobby business

Default State of the hobby business

Where do you see the small hobby store trend going? I am late coming back into the hobby but it just seems like they are all barely hanging in there or is this just how hobby stores like to look? They are only a few that i find scattered far and wide and they are normally small and dark. I did find a really cool place that is 40 min away were i play malifaux and was a little worried about how they were going to do since they just moved to thier new location and stock levels were low and website updates are slow. Then suddenly this week i go and major stock increase of GW malifaux, hordes, warmachine, some board games, plus tons of those card games . Talking to the one guy behind the counter he tells me things are going great they are getting 3 or 4 people a day that stop in to see what the store is all about and chances are some of them are buying. Now i know the old saying "location location location" but do you think we could be seeing an upward trend coming? Or has it been going and im just noticing?

as a part owner of a LGS. I would say we are going to be fine. Its much like people that got into computers a long time ago. If you didnt learn about them, then you were left in the dust. We break up battleforces and sell them online, we sell magic the gathering and offer a lot of things at 20% off. We dont make a crap ton of money, but enough to keep us going. My friend who used to run a store, easily made 50k a year off of ebay auctions. he knew what to do. He sold online 75% of product and 25% at the store. Thats how ya do it.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    as a part owner of a LGS. I would say we are going to be fine. Its much like people that got into computers a long time ago. If you didnt learn about them, then you were left in the dust. We break up battleforces and sell them online, we sell magic the gathering and offer a lot of things at 20% off. We dont make a crap ton of money, but enough to keep us going. My friend who used to run a store, easily made 50k a year off of ebay auctions. he knew what to do. He sold online 75% of product and 25% at the store. Thats how ya do it.
    Just spoke with the owners of our LGS on Sunday and they gave a similar account. Most of their business is online.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    Just spoke with the owners of our LGS on Sunday and they gave a similar account. Most of their business is online.
    yep. its really a no-brainer. and you have a million times less overhead. we almost exclusively do "to order" GW things.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Yes its going that way more and more
    Last edited by barbados wild; 05-23-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Aaron Brown
    Black Crab Sculpting Studio
    www.blackcrabsculpting.com

Well funny enough my local NJ game store has been holding strong for over 5 plus years. Sadly they too need to grow...

I must confess, I am an online shopper, and have had better than average results online. Who knows what the state of the classic "hobby shop" will be in the future? Kind of a shame really.

My store recently celebrated its tenth year in business. Very little of our business is online.

MY LGS is great. Combination hobby, board game, comic, collectible, Magic store. They built a community, have a large open space, helpful staff, run events, and stay invested in their customers. They would probably make a bunch more money if they did online stuff, but they are more about face to face interaction and events.
    Only Truth in Truth

I worked at a LGS for a couple years, recently left (2 years ago) but I still stay in contact with the management and things there are going fine. The store owner diversified his store with alot of board games and puzzels as well as the mini's and card games. The store has a great downtown location and that certainly helps as they have constant walk ins. I remember during the busy months after Thanksgiving-Christmas they would gross 180-220k per month and during the slow months around 50k.

Wow that would make me want to get into the hobby biz, what city/state is that store located nosirrahkcaz? The one store near me is moving to a larger location. And they are wanting to expand the types of games they sell. I see game workshop is loosing it's grip. It does seem like all of those card games are the main draw with kids though, Don't know the profit margin on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock777 View Post
    MY LGS is great. Combination hobby, board game, comic, collectible, Magic store. They built a community, have a large open space, helpful staff, run events, and stay invested in their customers. They would probably make a bunch more money if they did online stuff, but they are more about face to face interaction and events.
    ^ ditto. The Dragon here in Guelph recently moved to a slightly upscale new location (downtown mall) and does a LOT of business in comics, graphic novels and collectibles. Even kids books, comic-y ones like Tintin at least Very community-oriented.

I do wish their miniatures section wasn't exclusively GW... but that's the market *shrug*

sorry for the late response But it was in Indiana. Its a town dominated by a college with no competition, its the only show in town.

Blog Entries

Gross vs. Net. Important difference, worth remembering
    Please feel free to check out my hobby blog, IMMATERIUM PRESS. Rumors, hobby articles, community building and tournament organization. Many thanks