Sarpedon..a bugs life.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarpedon..a bugs life.

Default Sarpedon..a bugs life.

At the risk of boring the kecks off yawl i have another commission project on the boil, as above sarpedon of the Soul drinkers. I once again invoke the powers that be to "keep me right" any ideas or input would, as always, be much appreciated....TAAAA
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Looking forward to this!

From reading the soul drinkers book there is a good bit of info about him in there. I imagine the arachnid legs partly armoured, he is also a librarian so iron collar would look suhweet.

oh and read this, he doesnt have eight legs, rather 7 with a mechanical limb.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sarpedon

Never heard of him......lets see what we can find.

Close up of his librarian Psychic Hood

I'll keep hunting

As the post above. He's a Space Marine Librarian with 8 spider type legs from the waist down. One of the front legs was ripped off and is now bionic. He stands taller than your average Marine because of the mutation.

If you are doing this in the same scale as your termie's this will be one hell of a big model.

Edit: He has no Thorax................I could imagine his 2 normal legs splitting into 4
    Last edited by Talion; 04-19-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of fact View Post
    oh and read this, he doesnt have eight legs, rather 7 with a mechanical limb.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sarpedon
    cheers mucker most helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    Never heard of him......lets see what we can find.

Close up of his librarian Psychic Hood

I'll keep hunting

As the post above. He's a Space Marine Librarian with 8 spider type legs from the waist down. One of the front legs was ripped off and is now bionic. He stands taller than your average Marine because of the mutation.

If you are doing this in the same scale as your termie's this will be one hell of a big model.

Edit: He has no Thorax................I could imagine his 2 normal legs splitting into 4
    talion "THE" go to guy! the legs and the assembly of them and how they connect to the torso is going to be one of the most important parts of the build i would concur with your idea of the legs splitting from the bottom of the hip armour, no large bulbous spider butt then lol

a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

started the chassis lol

This might be of some use: http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/search/label/sarpedon

Continuously amazed at how quickly you whip out such high quality work, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gsr15 View Post
    This might be of some use: http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/search/label/sarpedon

Continuously amazed at how quickly you whip out such high quality work, good stuff.
    I looked at that, but it doesn't look natural. Unfortunatley it looks like a Space Marine Body stuck on some legs.

I think the body will need to blend better with the legs, like a centaur or beastman. The hips getting wider and then breaking up into 2 sets of 4 legs. The description says he has legs like an arachnid, but not actual spider legs. I picture the legs still being armoured on top with the spider look underneath. Hard to explain.A bit like this.

Space Marine body on top expanding at the hip. Armoured outside legs, with hairy spidery types legs on the underneath. You know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by gsr15 View Post

cheers mate thats as good a start as i could wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    I looked at that, but it doesn't look natural. Unfortunatley it looks like a Space Marine Body stuck on some legs.

I think the body will need to blend better with the legs, like a centaur or beastman. The hips getting wider and then breaking up into 2 sets of 4 legs. The description says he has legs like an arachnid, but not actual spider legs. I picture the legs still being armoured on top with the spider look underneath. Hard to explain.A bit like this.

Space Marine body on top expanding at the hip. Armoured outside legs, with hairy spidery types legs on the underneath. You know what I mean
    the sculpt version of paint blending?

whats the general concencus on this chap?
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/153070

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    the sculpt version of paint blending?
    yep, I think the transition between body and legs should be more natural. How is a good question. What about the torso area of the marine where the pipes usually show (just above the belt), having the armour cracked and starting to become fatter to give a bit of a wider base for the legs. Have the skin areas showing through the cracks start to have hair strands showing like on the back of a fly when zoomed in. If I could draw I'd show what I mean.

Edit: conversion in your last post is good but legs are too small and he still looks like he's got a detachable body. Legs need to sprout out from underneath rather than from his belt. Again doesn't look like a natural mutation. Maybe I'm being picky, it ain't even my commission.
    Last edited by Talion; 04-20-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Yeah, it does kind of look like his upper half was just whacked off and stuck onto a set of legs...sounds like you're thinking more along the lines of a drider, minus the abdomen?

so have the spider portion extend from the jock armor?

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    whats the general concencus on this chap?
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/153070
    The fluidity is there, but when I read the books I pictured the spider legs being longer and thinner. But that could just be me.
    I mean look at the pic below. Even ignoring the abdomen, look at the leg to thorax ratio.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

ratio's ok but i think they would need to be beefed up into wall busting badass legs something like starship troopers soldier bugs.

great feed back getting a lot from all this, so anyone who hasnt thrown their hat in the ring ..dont be shy no sensible suggestion ignored.

Put penises on the ends....oh wait....you said sensible...nevermind!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC View Post
    Put penises on the ends....oh wait....you said sensible...nevermind!
    Wet Nurse v2? huh?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

face palm

Name:  Demotivational-pictures-not_Angry.jpg
Views: 3612
Size:  44.6 KB

LMAO!...Priceless!

Spider legs vary quite a bit. Any mention in the fluff about what kind of spider legs they are supposed to resemble? I think the tyranid arms are far too short though.

For the join at the hip, don't forget there is a 4th section of the legs, there's the 3 long sections but that 4th "shoulder" section that is really short joins to the body, it can be angled downwards even though it's hard to find reference, they don't need to be flayed out flat from the body. So if you angle them downwards a little, it will help reduce the appearance of width but the body is going to have to fatten out to a circle slightly wider than the marines hips (where the legs join) no matter what. Pics below kind of show those sections angling downward slightly...but not the greatest:

http://greennature.com/gallery/spide...pinnerets.html

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...-widow-spider/

Oh...and for giggle, spider woman (turtle will not approve but it should be safe for work):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VY-hCSHzFx...ider_woman.jpg