The Royal Wedding.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Royal Wedding.

Default The Royal Wedding.

Maybe it's because I'm American, but I don't 'get' the excitment of all this.

What am I missing?

Plus, and not to offend any of our British friends....who foots the bill for all this? Why are Royalty tolerated at all? It seems very odd.

You're not obsessed with the wedding because you more than likely:

1) Didn't care about the Princess Diana and Prince Charles wedding.
    2) You were not raised on Disney fairy tales and/or the Princess Diaries
    3) You have completed the long 230+ year transformation of being a British subject into a non-British subject.
    4) You are the type of person who would prefer a small and sensible wedding as opposed to a grandiose monstrosity.
    5) You are not obessed with wedding dress designers, tiaras, and being 'posh'.
    6) The most enthusiastic remark you can drum up for the whole thing is "Well, she's cute".

For an amusing Brit perspective, read this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-c..._b_854188.html

EDIT: After using my Google-Fu to devestating effect I have discovered this:

The British Royal Family will pay for the majority of the wedding out of their reserves, the taxpayers will pick up a sizable but not majority portion of the tab, and the Middletons have insisted on contributing (Though they don't have near the capital. It's tradition for the bride's family to pay?) All in all the event is expected to take anywhere from $20-25 million.

At least the engagement ring was paid for. And supposedly a Tiara.
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 04-28-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Google-Fu
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

It's got nothing to do with you being American. From what I can tell there seems to be at least as much fuss about the thing as over here. As to who foots the bill, it's a mix between the families themselves and us taxpayers. The royalty are tolerated because they bring in tourism money, which I think outweighs the bill for them. Incidentally, I will not be watching the wedding. One Royal wedding in a lifetime was enough and back then I was just 7 years old and we had a street party, which was rudely interrupted by some fuss over a big poofy dress or some such.

We're only doing it for you Americans, you can't move in London at the moment for bloody Yanks

Seriously, the only interest many of us Brits have in it is that we get a day off work.

Personally, I'd shoot the bally lot of 'em.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

I can't believe even CMON has been infested now. Argh. LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bunting View Post
    . The royalty are tolerated because they bring in tourism money, which I think outweighs the bill for them.

Ah! Thank you for that. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by finn17 View Post
    We're only doing it for you Americans, you can't move in London at the moment for bloody Yanks

Seriously, the only interest many of us Brits have in it is that we get a day off work.

Personally, I'd shoot the bally lot of 'em.
    Damn right.

Need any help.

Blog Entries

Can't say i've had any vested interest in the royal family at all really outside working for them at a few points in life. As far as I was concerned then, the Queen was god, because the boss said so...And that whole oath of allegiance thing...
    I will be enjoying the celebrations in so much as I usually do on weekends, i'm scottish, I don't need a f**king reason to party.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I ain't up for shooting, but getting rid of the monarchy is something worth aiming for. Just, not with a gun.

There's just no excuse for them. They cost a ridiculous amount, don't bring in significant tourist monie or significant trade - we've tourist and trade departments for that, don't actually work hard or do any of the oft bandied about excuses to keep them in well paid "jobs" for life. Let them go, dissolve the monarchy, retain the powers of the crown by parliament as it already exercises them.
    http://www.republic.org.uk/

Its even worse here. There are two sides of the community. Those twant to celebrate those that dont and a third who wants the day off to play call of duty and blood bowl!!!! (me)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmypops View Post
    I ain't up for shooting, but getting rid of the monarchy is something worth aiming for. Just, not with a gun.

There's just no excuse for them. They cost a ridiculous amount, don't bring in significant tourist monie or significant trade - we've tourist and trade departments for that, don't actually work hard or do any of the oft bandied about excuses to keep them in well paid "jobs" for life. Let them go, dissolve the monarchy, retain the powers of the crown by parliament as it already exercises them.
    http://www.republic.org.uk/
    You miss the point made, the tourism industry DOES count a lot on the royal family. The tourists are here to see THEM and all things associated. Tower of London, Crown Jewels, Dungeons, the palace etc etc. Scotland doesn't need that though, everyone just loves us. More so since Braveheart was released lol
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Even though William Wallace was French *runs*

Nah, the royal locations aren't up there on the list of the most visited tourist attractions. And not exactly a way to shape ones constitution eh.

I lost hours on that republic site. Made a change for me though, losing hours on the internet and not finding it a waste of time nor causing, um, physical discomfort.

i'm pro monarchy but don't give a shit about the wedding
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noneedforaname View Post
    Even though William Wallace was French *runs*
    No he wasn't , he was american. Pfft, you clearly don't pay attention to the marvels of the moving pictures.

He was born in Ayrshire to a Scotsman from Ayr though. Somewhere near or around Killmarnock from what historians can fathom. I live in Wallace country, incidentally. That makes me special somehow, i'll figure out the how, what , where ect when I think of something witty and believable...

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    when I think of something witty and believable...
    Statistically possible, but I'll put 5:1 odds against it. Any bets?
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 04-28-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Blog Entries

I'll bet against it.

why are we discussing a wedding? i dont get it. one bit. i would rather watch kate beckham go in for boob surgery than know a bout this. lol
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    why are we discussing a wedding? i dont get it. one bit. i would rather watch kate beckham go in for boob surgery than know a bout this. lol
    We're discussing a wedding because Supervike wished to understand why some people are appealed by it. He also had a logistical question on who will be paying for the service. To some it's an interesting topic, and to others it seems to be an interesting topic to display there lack of interest. (which infers they have an interest in appearing uninterested.)
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 04-28-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

I'm with Freak......I'd hate to get rid of the Monarchy, just for the history that is attached with it.

I love watching "Trooping of the colour" for the queens birthday. I'll watch the wedding as far as when they walk in to the ceremony, just for all the pomp and circumstance.

I'd rather keep the queen and scrap the prime-minister or any president, they are even more worthless.