Step One is to take the first step.... - Page 2

View Poll Results: Horse's Color (will be used in the article series)

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • White Gray

3 9.38%
  • Dapple Gray

5 15.63%
  • Sunburned Black (brown highlights)

5 15.63%
  • True Black (blue/silver highlights)

6 18.75%
  • Gypsy/Drum Horse type (black & white/sabino)

7 21.88%
  • Chestnut

5 15.63%
  • Other (please post below)

1 3.13%
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Step One is to take the first step....

Blog Entries

Cass, are you jesus?! I can SEE! Further to that, I made a right mess of the frog...
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I vote you paint it as a replica of the Cisco Kid's horse Diablo played by Pair O'Dice, just cause he's got such a cool face. Plus solid color horses are too common in the mini world.

http://www.b-westerns.com/hoss9.htm
    Last edited by vincegamer; 04-30-2011 at 06:45 PM.

BOOKMARKED!!!! Great horse!!!

Thanks for the link, Vince! BUT, I do have to ask...are you trying to kill me??? lol! My goal is to finish the article in a couple of weeks, not six months from now.

Dice is going to take a lot of hair detail, which means me pulling out mine. lol! I think I will paint him though but on a different model. This one will definitely work for him.

The resin is 1:32 and is a mini of a traditional scale resin called War Chant. You can see more pics at http://www.boguckiresins.com/pipsqueak.html So it's the same scale as the knight and it's sitting on my shelf waiting for some clothes. Plus, I'll be able to take this one to competitions...I won't be able to take the knight...I don't think, I'll have to check.

Thanks again for the link!

ETA I just realized, Vince, that you voted for the sabino. I wanted to clarify that Dice is an Overo and that's different from sabino even tho they are both black and white. In the case of Dice and the example I put up, they would be two different techniques, I don't know if I could cover them both in one article. But we'll see what happens when I get the horse ready and close the poll.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to sound like I was blowing off your vote. (But I'm still going to paint the horse above like Dice so I can take him to a show! lol!)
    Last edited by kathrynloch; 04-30-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification

Great idea for a project, K.
    I suspect you could find someone willing to paint the rider or just his face
    if you wanted to go that route.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

And welcome aboard.
    I enjoyed my tour of your site.

BTW---I voted Sabino

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cfwheeler58 View Post
    Great idea for a project, K.
    I suspect you could find someone willing to paint the rider or just his face
    if you wanted to go that route.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

And welcome aboard.
    I enjoyed my tour of your site.

BTW---I voted Sabino

Chris
    Thanks Chris! And glad you enjoyed the site, I still have lots of work to do there.

Finding someone to help me paint the rider is an option and one I may take if it turns out I can't do it. But I really want to give it a shot. Before the hyperthyroidism and resulting hand tremors, my figure painting was on the verge of hitting that uptick in improvement. While I know I won't be at the level I was, I really want to work to get back on that path. The only thing I can do is try.

Well, I didn't check the poll results but I will. Folks need to make decisions! lol! Because as things goes, the horse is moving right along.

I've got a couple of Apoxie goobers to get rid of but as things go...he's really close to primer application. Yes, I'll be doing the horse, base, and rider separately for this particular project.

But the color of primer depends on a couple of things, first - the results of the poll.

And there's a second option here I thought about so wanted to run past y'all.

As I noted, this horse is the same scale as my stablemates 1:32. You can see one of them on my messy work table (sorry about that, I always have multiple projects going).

There is a different technique for larger scale using dry pigments and sealer. I know many of you already have these tools at hand. The pigments used for weathering are often very nice horse colors as well. I use Earth Pigments but it's the same stuff...ground up colored dirt. lol! And I use Testors Dull Coat but any quality matte sealer will work.

So which version would you like to see, the horse painted in acrylics or a new technique using pigments?

Okay this is fun...Dapple Gray, True Black, and Gypsy/Drum/Sabino are tied with 5 votes. Chestnut is making a last minute charge at 4 votes. It rained here yesterday so I couldn't spray primer. Get your votes in now because if the weather is nice when I get home today, I'm going to try to slap some on him. I guess if the poll remains a tie, I'll be the deciding vote.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    ETA I just realized, Vince, that you voted for the sabino. I wanted to clarify that Dice is an Overo and that's different from sabino even tho they are both black and white.
    I know they are different. I just cast a vote for my preference from among the ones you offered to do.
    Plus it was a chance to plug http://www.b-westerns.com/hoss.htm which is a great source for trivia (and photos) of old Hollywood horses.

(or you could paint him like the middle horse here http://static.newworldencyclopedia.o...WillelmDux.jpg )
    Last edited by vincegamer; 05-03-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Hi Kathryn, nice to see you back, hope the shakes don't intrude too much with this project I like the very pale end of the Palomino but guess it's not historically accurate? Though this is nice too...

For the rider's face, Oniria has a nice 75mm style that he works onto 25mm. His most recent work doesn't seem to be in the Gallery yet though...
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/oniria

I've found his step-by-step face painting guide a useful resource. A refreshingly different approach to the ultra-precise/smooth CMON standard style...
    http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/...p?f=18&t=20779

Good luck with the project

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Well, the first coat of primer is on the horse and I just checked the poll.

Gypsy/Drum/Sabino wins by a nose with 6 votes! (The others will be covered in the articles eventually.)

Thanks everyone for voting and for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by vincegamer View Post
    I know they are different. I just cast a vote for my preference from among the ones you offered to do.
    Plus it was a chance to plug http://www.b-westerns.com/hoss.htm which is a great source for trivia (and photos) of old Hollywood horses.

(or you could paint him like the middle horse here http://static.newworldencyclopedia.o...WillelmDux.jpg )
    Thanks vince, I wasn't sure if you were aware of it or not. Thanks again for the link, I definitely want to paint Dice soon.

lol! Love the blue horse! I've got a replica of the Bayeux Tapestry in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    Hi Kathryn, nice to see you back, hope the shakes don't intrude too much with this project I like the very pale end of the Palomino but guess it's not historically accurate? Though this is nice too...

*snip*

For the rider's face, Oniria has a nice 75mm style that he works onto 25mm. His most recent work doesn't seem to be in the Gallery yet though...

I've found his step-by-step face painting guide a useful resource. A refreshingly different approach to the ultra-precise/smooth CMON standard style...

Cheers, B.
    Hi BPI! Thank you so much for the links! The one on faces was fantastic!

The light palomino, if it goes toward cremello, perlino, or champagne, what most people used to call albino, it might be period. I'd have to do some research on that. That's usually a double-dilute so I don't know how historical it would be.

And Sundowner is very popular!

Thanks again! We'll definitely see how it goes.

Now off to find a sabino reference that show's both sides of the horse.

Well there's nothing like a good coat of primer to make everything I missed stick out like a sore thumb. So...more prep work on the mini is currently in progress. I hate seams!

But here's some more pics. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any more pics of the sabino I posted as an example. GRRRR! With patterns like that, I really need both sides of the horse - actually, as many photos from various angles as possible. Otherwise the pattern just looks like...well...like I made it up as I went along. I won't (and can't) replicate the reference exactly but having that really helps realism. So, I found a rather striking fellow with tons of pics.

He will definitely be a challenge but it will be a good article that will demonstrate a variety of techniques.

As soon as I get all of the goobers, seams, and everything I missed cleaned up, I'll primer and we'll be off to the races. So, I'll post more then.

Wish me luck!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post

Cheers, B.
    That horse is awesome I want to see this style done, have no idea what it's called tho for the poll Best wishes for the project and conquering the shakes! I know a few friends who have it too, and it can be overcome to make some pretty shiny models in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    That horse is awesome I want to see this style done, have no idea what it's called tho for the poll Best wishes for the project and conquering the shakes! I know a few friends who have it too, and it can be overcome to make some pretty shiny models in the end.
    Thanks Jericho! Sundowner is a grulla - basically a mouse colored buckskin. He has what are called primitive markings on his legs, kinda like faint spidery zebra stripes. That's definitely an advanced technique! But we'll see what we can come up with down the road.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Well there's nothing like a good coat of primer to make everything I missed stick out like a sore thumb. So...more prep work on the mini is currently in progress. I hate seams!

But here's some more pics. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any more pics of the sabino I posted as an example. GRRRR! With patterns like that, I really need both sides of the horse - actually, as many photos from various angles as possible. Otherwise the pattern just looks like...well...like I made it up as I went along. I won't (and can't) replicate the reference exactly but having that really helps realism. So, I found a rather striking fellow with tons of pics.

He will definitely be a challenge but it will be a good article that will demonstrate a variety of techniques.

As soon as I get all of the goobers, seams, and everything I missed cleaned up, I'll primer and we'll be off to the races. So, I'll post more then.

Wish me luck!!!
    Awesome choice. Definitely looks like a war horse.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Blog Entries

Can we keep him? I've already given him a name =(
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Thanks Trystan! He's at a farm in the UK and I love how wooly he is (but glad I don't have to groom him).

lol! Torn...first, is the name repeatable in polite company and more importantly won't get you booted from the forums??

Second...remember, you'll have to feed him and take care of him.

Blog Entries

Ah it's amazing i'm still here at all to be honest. I think the Mods keep me around because they've come to realise people visit for the freak show lol

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Ah it's amazing i'm still here at all to be honest. I think the Mods keep me around because they've come to realise people visit for the freak show lol
    There's definitely entertainment value.

And maybe too because every so often you throw out some great advice. haha!

I will be watching this with renewed interest, since as of yesterday I have my own horse mini to paint lol!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Blog Entries

Phoar! Say that again Kathryn!
    Not often we plebians get praise round these here parts haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Phoar! wip me beat me an call me dirty names n Say that again Kathryn!
    Not often we plebians get praise round these here parts haha!
    your good value alright lol.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive