Decent Skeletal Horse Minis?

Thread: Decent Skeletal Horse Minis?

Blog Entries

Default Decent Skeletal Horse Minis?

As the title suggests, I am trying to find a decent skeletal horse mini to replace the garbage plastic ones in the GW Khemri range. I will be needing at least a dozen so price does matter unfortunately.

I figure with all the knockoff companies (Thunderwolves anyone?) and the legit ones as well, somebody has to make a decent skeletal horse

Bout the best I can think of are Gamezone, but you'd be buying a whole undead cavarly regt as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 05-01-2011 at 03:11 AM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

Hrm, the Gamezone ones are pretty decent as Vampire Counts figs, still not much out there that looks good for Khemri.

Crocodile Games actually has a couple chariot horses from their Wargods of Aegyptus line... not undead but they fit the imagery. And I kinda liked some of the old fluff where some Kings were allowing small numbers of living tribesmen etc. into their cities to give them a feeling of the good old days, rather than just ruling over a barren wasteland. If I can track down some Al Mukhtar's Desert Dogs that could be a fun project too Love the old Dogs of War.

You could always use the GW skelly horses to modify a "living" horse. If you use a GW horse there'd never be a question about being tournament legal. It'd only take one skeleton horse to customize several fleshed out horses, depending on how many bones you'd want exposed (so you wouldn't need to buy more and you'd have a few left, most likely). Super simple with the plastic horses, cut a hole in the chest and glue a ribcage behind it, cut off a leg at the knee and glue the bottom half of a bone leg to it, replace the tail/head, etc (just be sure to compare the sizes, might need to compensate with where you cut or which horse line you choose).

There is also some good looking skeletal horses from RAFM; the Death Wind Hussars, the Reaper Cavalry and the Death Knight horsemen, they are a bit costly (about 7US$ for a pair) but could be used for your troops leaders. I have the Death Wind Hussars and they are, IMO, quite good sculpts for skeletal horses. They amount to 3 different types, one of which could be converted to a mummyfied horse.
    Quite a few years ago, one could order only one piece in quantity, you will just have to ask RAFM if they still do it.

Here are the pictures:

Name:  04491-SkeletalHussars-RAFM.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  29.0 KBName:  04489-DeathKnightHorsemen-RAFM.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  30.6 KBName:  04490-ReaperCavalry-RAFM.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  28.1 KB

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Moradin; 05-01-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Hrm, most of these guys all seem to have a decent amount of barding on them, which presents a bit of a problem as I mostly want these guys for Chariots. Thanks for the help so far guys, I now have a few things to consider ... still hoping someone will step up and release some pseudo Khemri figs for conversion packs

Reaper do some skeletal horses. Tbh, I'm not that impressed with them but I will link them in case you do, they can also be brought seperatly.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...e/latest/14149
    http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...e/latest/02361

Mantic games make some really nice ones, unfortuantely they are not what you are after being zombie horses with armour.

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home...0-Figures.html

Btw I googled undead horse and some of the images freaked me the hell out. I can look at the goriest of human pictures and not blink an eye but the horse ones got to me. Not to say I didn't like them, they looked cool.

Newbie, please be gentle Mr. Helgren's Avatar

E-bob makes some pretty nice skeletal horses - it seems they're currently out stock though...
    http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/fantasy.htm#

Blog Entries

Saw those Ebob ones when I first googled for horses... they do look respectable. Shame they're out of print or whatever. Still questing for that perfect option I'll let you know if I find any more.

Thanks again guys.
    Please feel free to check out my hobby blog, IMMATERIUM PRESS. Rumors, hobby articles, community building and tournament organization. Many thanks