Bin Laden has apparently been killed by US Special Forces.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bin Laden has apparently been killed by US Special Forces.

Default Bin Laden has apparently been killed by US Special Forces.

How do we feel about this ?

I am neither "happy", nor "relieved".
    Not sure how to feel.
    Not sure how much of the official story is even "real".

Blog Entries

Hopefully it's the final page of a particularly nasty chapter in world history. Obviously it won't be so neat and tidy, but clearly this guy had it coming and a lot of people will be breathing a sigh of relief knowing there's one less bad guy out there to worry about.

Hopefully we can start to focus on some more of the domestic issues in North America right now, everything from budgets to healthcare and energy policy. Billions of dollars and thousands of lives have been lost because of what OBL started a decade ago, and now that he's been found and killed, hopefully it becomes a bit easier to get some other issues resolved.

Overall not a bad weekend for Obama... he finds his birth certificate, had a good time at Donald Trump's expense at the White House Correspondents Association gala, and now this I think he just got the PR shot in the arm that he needed.

jericho: osama will not be dead until trump sees his death certificate.

and i would also like to be the first to congratulate obama on a successful reelection campaign.

lol
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Blog Entries

I was wondering how long it would take to switch from "the birthers" to "the deathers" controversy

And how long it will take for them to show photos of the body and/or release any info on the strike itself. This is the kind of thing that people will want to know all the gory details about.

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    jericho: osama will not be dead until trump sees his death certificate.

and i would also like to be the first to congratulate obama on a successful reelection campaign.

lol
    agrees with the 2nd part and i have always wondered how you lose a BC specifically if your in politics.
    and yah i wonder when the book/movie deal will show up
    Now doing commissions! PM me for details.
    wanted: any plastic models from the screamingbell/Plague furnace. PM if you have any.

I suspect that OBL's death isn't the end but rather the reopening of a wound that will continue to bleed. They did issue travel warnings and I don't think without good reason. He's just the head of the snake. Not to be a downer, and definitely not to disrespect the soldiers who have been fighting all these years to make it happen. There is a victory to be celebrated, I just fear for the cycle of violence because it's our turn to be on the receiving end again.

As for Obama, yeah. Did you see how he was careful to take credit for it?

Blog Entries

Good riddance is all I can say. Just left wondering what form the reprisals from the Taliban will come in the form of. Will this break them? My money's on "probably not" , I'm guessing they'll just be really pissed about it and martyr him. I hope, however, this shatters their confidence. I have a funny feeling this might just boil down to the old "man with a stick and nothing to loose" analogy.

One thing i'm not particularly looking forward to (and we know it's going to happen) is the massive "AMERICA! WOOOO! WE'RE THE BEST!" reaction we probably won't stop hearing for a while to come. Yes, so apparently it was a US operation that nailed him, ok, 'grats. But lets not forget ALL of the countries that gave the lives of their armed personnel to get to this point.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

All I need is one word "allegedly" as they said in the good old days "habius corpus" (hope my dodgy Latin hasn't failed me lol).

Blog Entries

"habeas corpus" =P
    Closeus meh nocigaro haha! Beginning to wonder myself, this rabbit hole is probably much deeper than they care to let on at the present time, Alice.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

way to much politics and Latin on this thread for me ...... Nil desperandum!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

At least now we have assets free to continue the search for santa clause.

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Vicis pro a beer mihi reputo

The news just reported that Osama's body was buried at sea - apparently, the US wanted to avoid creating a terrorist shrine with his remains (were he to be buried on land). But what was so disturbing were the shots of folks in NYC celebrating, chanting, and even police officers climbing streetlamps to wave US flags.

While I think Osama had it coming, to celebrate someone's death in this manner, even if that someone is Osama ... I feel a bit queasy. It was like looking at a scene out of the Middle Ages, the burning of an alleged witch. Or the cheering when Saddam was publicly hanged.

If Humanity can celebrate Death like that, is there really any hope for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    At least now we have assets free to continue the search for santa clause.

"we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm View Post
    If Humanity can celebrate Death like that, is there really any hope for us?
    yes without a doubt.
    Even if it isnt true the world needs sometime to get behind and celebrate. death isnt a joke but...well as sad as it is its sometimes necessary. as they say would you kill one person if it meant saving 100? on the flip side i have always loved this qoute from jrr tolkien
    “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”
    Now doing commissions! PM me for details.
    wanted: any plastic models from the screamingbell/Plague furnace. PM if you have any.

I see these celebrations as a kind of catharsis, after all for many Americans OBL was the incarnation of terror.

@Torn BLue Sky: I agree with you, this will likely not be the end for Al Queda, the best we can hope for is some kind of infighting between his followers about leadership that will weaken them even more and destroy their abillity for any big scale attacks.

@Uberdark: you´re dead on with reelction. Not to offend anyone here, but the GOP is already low on potential presidential candidates who might have a chance against Obama ( no matter what one might think of him , the guy knows how to campaign! ) , but this might be the final nail in their coffin.

btw, something tells me that the Soldiers who killed him will never have to pay for a drink again for the rest of their lives.

• Let me put forward another suggestion: That you are nothing more than a lucky species of ape that is trying to understand the complexities of creation via a language that evolved in order to tell one another where the ripe fruit was?

-Terry Pratchet, Death and what comes next

Blog Entries

How many guys you reckon are gonna lay claim to being that soldier? lol

How many guys you reckon are gonna lay claim to being that soldier? lol
    hmm, good question lol
    • Let me put forward another suggestion: That you are nothing more than a lucky species of ape that is trying to understand the complexities of creation via a language that evolved in order to tell one another where the ripe fruit was?

-Terry Pratchet, Death and what comes next

jumping for joy in the middle of the street for the death of bin laden leaves me with mixed feelings tbh. dont know what to think.

edit: what i mean btw is to say, that celebrating killing him maybe shouldnt be what we do, but more over look at the deaths inflicted by this man and his organization, and reflect on the life of those people who died by their hand.
    Last edited by uberdark; 05-02-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

im personally wondering did the yanks cock up his capture as a live terrorist is usually more useful than a dead one especially the top ones (bring on "H") also a trial and imprisonment for crimes against humanity stops him becoming a martyr to his followers he can always die from "illness" later when the fuss dies down.
    Last edited by cassar; 05-02-2011 at 09:03 AM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive