By Crom!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: By Crom!

Default By Crom!

I was very disappointed with Thor. This looks like it might make up for it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/summer-movie...ian/1809953260

What do you guys think?

Arnold is Conan. Conan is Arnold. 'Nuff said.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Conan without Arnold?? Sacrilege!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I actually watched the trailer. If they called it anything other than conan, it'd be straight. But, yeah. Besides, Conan wasn't a hero.
    Mongol General: What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonbuddha View Post
    I was very disappointed with Thor. This looks like it might make up for it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/summer-movie...ian/1809953260

What do you guys think?
    How bad are we talking? Was Thor a 5/10 and it just wasn't all that great, or was it more of a 2/10 and we should make an effigy and burn it.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Arnold is Conan. Conan is Arnold. 'Nuff said.
    This.

*text too short text*
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I actually watched the trailer. If they called it anything other than conan, it'd be straight. But, yeah. Besides, Conan wasn't a hero.
    Mongol General: What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
    Agreed but calling him the protagonist in the trailer won't bring in the audience.

I loved the books but I doubt anyone will ever get a screenplay close to them. But there's always hope.

I was hoping they'd return to the darker actual Conan stories....but it looks like they decided to go the over the top action hero crap.

The Arnie Conan wasn't quite Conan either, but at least it 'felt' better.

But, I'll reserve judgement until after I see it, next year via Netflix. lol

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Agreed but calling him the protagonist in the trailer won't bring in the audience.

I loved the books but I doubt anyone will ever get a screenplay close to them. But there's always hope.
    And that's the problem with the movies nowadays. Everything has to be black and white, and the hero has to get the girl. Robert Jordan would cringe to see what they're doing to Conan.

Even though I didn't like the movie overall, I have to admit I was a big fan of the way "No Country For Old Men" went. And I love "Requiem For a Dream". I just can't watch it too often lol.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

And that's the problem with the movies nowadays. Everything has to be black and white, and the hero has to get the girl. Robert Jordan would cringe to see what they're doing to Conan.

Even though I didn't like the movie overall, I have to admit I was a big fan of the way "No Country For Old Men" went. And I love "Requiem For a Dream". I just can't watch it too often lol.
    Robert Howard.

Robert Jordan wrote the Wheel of Time.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    Robert Howard.

Doh! I am suitably ashamed.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

i think it could be ok. i shall watch it with no preconceptions
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    i think it could be ok. i shall watch it with no preconceptions
    That's the trick isn't it? Judging a movie on it's own merit and not on previous installations. Hard to do sometimes, though.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Blog Entries

I wanna see a good movie about an anti-hero. One where you know the protagonist is a bad guy, but you end up rooting for him.

Kina like Darkblade. Lets see the bad guys win more often, and less steriotypical bad guys while we're at it.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I think that when it comes to actors, Jason Mamoa is probably one of the better choices for Conan, if not the best at the moment. He played Dex in Stargate Atlantis, and is currently playing Khal Drogo in HBO's excellent Game of Thrones rendition, so he has some experience playing the barbarian but still acting while doing it. Which is something I don't think a lot of the other candidates had. The physique seems to be antithetical to acting ability in a lot of actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    I wanna see a good movie about an anti-hero. One where you know the protagonist is a bad guy, but you end up rooting for him.

Kina like Darkblade. Lets see the bad guys win more often, and less steriotypical bad guys while we're at it.
    Dr Horrible per chance? Though it plays on stereotypes a lot. I suppose that there are no non-stereotype blackhats anymore. Some may be new hashes on a stereotype, but there's a lot of stereotypes out there.
    Personally I'd both like to, and dread seeing a rendition of "To Reign in Hell" just because it's such a different view on the "bad guy" perspective.
    Last edited by Dedwrekka; 05-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post

Like the Vin Diesel character of Riddick. In PITCH BLACK they did a wonderful job of making you both hate and root for him. Not so much in the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Like the Vin Diesel character of Riddick. In PITCH BLACK they did a wonderful job of making you both hate and root for him. Not so much in the sequel.
    I was just thinking along those lines vike. Just making the hero less Disney would be a start. A reluctant hero, or one who's in it for self-serving reasons.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Blog Entries

Yeah, kina like that , Vikey. Good example.

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    Robert Howard.

You both are sort of right. Robert Jordan wrote several books in the 80's featuring Conan. But Robert Howard was of course the original author back in the 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    You both are sort of right. Robert Jordan wrote several books in the 80's featuring Conan. But Robert Howard was of course the original author back in the 30's.
    Holy hell. He did from 82-84, and I never knew. I owe all apologies to Trystan.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat