What miniature painting DVDs to buy?

Thread: What miniature painting DVDs to buy?

Default What miniature painting DVDs to buy?

Hello everybody,

I've been painting for almost on year now and I'm willing to take my painting skills to the next level. I was thinking on buying a DVD (or DVDs) on how to paint miniatures.
    I am particularie interested in the Hot-lead dvd and the Miniature Mentor series.
    Does anyone have any experience with these DVDs? Or do you recomend buying other DvDs on painting Miniatures?

All advice is welcome

Hey Wouter,

I picked up Hot Lead a couple of months ago, and I've definitely benefited from it. I'd say it's a great one to start with.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

I've never watched the Hot Lead series (heard good things though) for me my go to guy is the "Painting Miniatures" by J.B.T. Also, Miniature Mentor offers a subscription service for 70$ish bucks. You can go crazy and download the entire library of the videos (Some are okay, some are great). After that it's up to you if you keep the subscription going. Of the Miniature Mentor series I really reccomend the Wolfen one by Laurent Exposito Mas (sp?) and I really enjoyed the battle damage one by Todd Swanson. Several really good videos in their.

Of course the utmost importance is to practice, practice, and then practice. I also reccomend joining several forums as well as here and posting a work in progress blog as well as getting feedback in the discuss submission sections. Make sure you tell people to be harsh and direct! I find this step to be important. Too many times people have offered some critical advice on a mini only to have the original poster get their feelings hurt and vanish. Good luck!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    Hey Wouter,

I picked up Hot Lead a couple of months ago, and I've definitely benefited from it. I'd say it's a great one to start with.

Get the subscription from miniature mentor if you have an unlimited broadband package. The quality is very good and there is a lot to download to be great value for money, probably better than a single DVD.

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Have subscribed to Miniature Mentor almost from the beginning. Love the painting demos, excellent camera work, you can see the paint dry. Unsure of sculpting ones, not much interest at this time. Also own Alexi-z's dvd, very good but very little in the way of explanation of what she is doing. depends on your budget and interest at this time. If you're looking for something specific let me know and I may be able to direct you to what you want. Good luck, Matt

the 4 best I know of:
    JBT's DVD, the Hot-Lead DVD, and the figurines-tv.com's DVD Vol1, P3-Core-Vol1.
    the first 2 cover lots of topics from colors to techniques and examples.
    the 3rd are just examples but really good to watch.
    The 4th one (P3) is aimed at beginners really, but it has the feel, that it was put together by pro. a company

then comes the MMentor video, where the quality is the best imho, but they focus on small topics like skin, weathering, etc. Also they are really aimed at those who aim for GDemon or similar prizes and can be hard to follow if you don't have
    the basics (and here I mean things like the various techniques explained on the JBT DVD)

I can highly recommend the "Painting Miniatures" by J.B.T. Also I just picked up La grande Serie de la Figurince vol1 although the name is all French it does have a english audio setting. I have only watched about half, but its been worth the 20€ already. Never had the chance to see the Hot lead one but heard good things.

There is also Miniature Painting Secrets with Natalya, sold by this very site. There has been mixed reviews, but again cant talk form personal experience. Now MM. personally I would steer as far away form these guys as poss. I know I sound like a stuck record, but I had a very bad experience so cant warn people off enough.

There is enough out there though to give you a good option. Also dont forget there are loads of good free ones on You tube.

Thank you for all your advice.
    I bought J.B.T.'s DVD as my father decided to pay half of the price if I bought the french version, so I went with that. And there are some great painting channels on youtube indeed: awesomepaintjob, girlpainting, AGproductions, Obsidian Painting, blue table painting (I watch this chanel almost every day, he doesn't really show how to paint but he shows very inspiring projects), ... .

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter View Post
    I bought J.B.T.'s DVD as my father decided to pay half of the price if I bought the french version, so I went with that. And there are some great painting channels on youtube indeed: awesomepaintjob, girlpainting, AGproductions, Obsidian Painting, blue table painting (I watch this chanel almost every day, he doesn't really show how to paint but he shows very inspiring projects), ... .
    Where did you get the JBT DVD? I tried to find it without success so far...

Hi boubi!

Here is a link for the JBT DVD, the site is mostly in French:

http://store.figurines-tv.com/

Have fun!

Newbie, please be gentle internal38's Avatar

Thanks Moradin for the link! I know at least if you are using Chrome as a web browser it will translate the page for you, no idea about other browsers.

Hi, good choice, I have that one and it is really nice. I also use minature mentor they have some realy nice ones also. the JBT do go throu all the basic also. Good buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter View Post