Stew's Forge World Khorne Commission
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stew's Forge World Khorne Commission

Default Stew's Forge World Khorne Commission

Hi,

A mate of mine has twisted my arm to paint one of these http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhamme...OF-KHORNE.html for him.

He was a little unsure of what I had planned for the skin so he threw these into the mix for me to test things on.

The blood letter needed some final construction work so I started with the Herald. The skin is done as far as I want to take it until I get some of the other details moving. I also found I have some spikes that I still need to add.

Sorry for the low quality photos.

Hopefully I'll be posting regularly as this progresses.

thats coming on really well look forward to seeing more updates
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Blog Entries

looks to be coming on at a decent rate. Looks to be a bit too shiny to tell what's really going on though =/
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Ky, U.S., Earth, Milky Way, Known Univers

I agree. Not sure if it's the pics or if there is a slight sheen to the paint, but from what I can tell I could stand a little more contrast in the skin tone. That actually may come naturally as the bloodthirster is quite large. Besides, what do I know? I are teh noobs when it comes to painting.
    Very nice start and looking forward to more!

Hi guys thanks for the comments. It does have a little bit of sheen in the hand. How do I prevent that from happening? I'm using the Vallejo Model Airs for the moment watered down with straight water. Would adding in some matte medium help preseve the flatness? The other issue is the client would like it to have a little sheen when it's done. I'll try for some better photos with a more diffuse light source today.

I started out with the airbursh with a reasonably solid (3 coats or so) finish of VMA Intermediate Blue. I covered most of that with VMA Fire Red much lighter coats so the blue still showed in most of the cravices. Then VMA Italian Red, Light Red, Orange and P3 Heartfire from above and progressively lighter. Then i went back in with the brush and folllowed the same progression in thin glazes making sure that the reds dominated. I also added a dot of black to the blue to darken it some. So to get more contrast would it be better to keep layering in the blue black mix until it becomes more of a solid colour rather than a filter as it is now or push the highlights up further or both?

Here's a closer view of his leg where there is less of the shine (from the same pics):

I probably need some mixes of the fire red and blue to soften the blend looking at this. Highlights on the leg only go to VMA scarlet and maybe a light glaze of the orange.

Edit: The pics are making the red look much brighter than it is in reality. I took some more on a lighter background and with diffuse lighting and got rid of the gloss. But the background is oo bright and makes the whole model look washed out. I'll need to take some more against the blue this time though.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 05-21-2011 at 10:13 PM.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

You get to use that SWEET Daemon Prince for a TEST MODEL?!!?!?! That is great! It looks like you are off to a good start, I am looking forward to seeing how he looks when you start adding some color to all the skull bits.

Blog Entries

Ah hah! Much better pic. Skintones are looking grand. Reckon you were right to leave it at that. These sculpts are just awesome, you're a lucky man!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I'm the lucky client.

I've absolutely gushed over the thing in person when I saw it Friday, and I love it even more every time I look at the pictures.

Really though, it's a bit amusing as to how Stew came to be painting this mini as the test. We were sitting in my living room cleaning up the Bloodthirster model (a task and a half if ever there was one) and Stew was describing to me his ideas for the flesh. To paraphrase the conversation, I said that while it sounded interesting, it might be a good idea to run a test on something first (since that's a lot of effort on a massive model if it was a dud idea). Stew replied with "I was thinking the same thing...", which earned a half jesting reply of "well, that's a Herald in the other room". He came back with "Funny you should say that, I'd had a similar thought."

As a side note (and knowing Stew he'll prove me wrong and post tomorrow) it may be a bit before there's another update - when last I saw him he was getting sick, and got sicker than a dog over the weekend.

Blog Entries

Wish I had clients like you lmao.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Wish I had clients like you lmao.

No doubt! I am looking forward to see where this goes.

Yeah,

Unfortunately progress is a little slow. I've started working up the leather straps, wrapping on the axe and the back of the loincloth, but I haven't had the opportunity or really felt like putting in more than a couple of hours and even that was more like hard work than fun.

It's not going to be your standard commission at all. It's my first one. It's for a mate. And I'm more than happy just for the opportunity to paint these two awesome models and to do something for someone else for a change.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 05-24-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Shaping up nicely, leather looks suitably worn on the axe haft.

I thought the haft was a little boring myself so

It still needs alittle work.

Hi,

I started construction work on the big guy.

I've pinned the wings but they aren't attached yet. They also need quite a bit of work around the mold lines. The waist joint is also pretty bad with the pieces not seeming to fit together neatly at all. On the whole though it is a pretty reasonable cast. A few partial chain links needed fixing and the edging of the bracer on is right arm too.

jeez he is a big boy!

Hi,

It's been a slow month. Kids on holidays and a lot of work has left little time for painting. I did manage to get the Blood thirster construction finished. I need to glue a couple of trophies onto some chain I added, give him a wash and he's ready for undercoat.

The only painting I managed was to get started on the claws and spines of the Demon Prince. Any comments and criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

You got some nice models here to paint up and the job so far is a good un. look forward to seeing more.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Looking cool, can't add much more help to the spines and claws I don't think but just a personal view I like the look of the black shading in the grooves maybe carry that further along on the spines?
    "All in the game yo, all in the game."

Hi,

I did some adjustments to the claws as suggested and think they are looking better now (not sure if you can see them in the pics below). I also started work on the manacle on his ankle.

I'm pretty happy with the way the area on the inside of the ankle (top left view) is coming along. The outdise of the ankle (bottom left view) however is not doing it for me. I'm going to change the hot spots but I'm not sure how yet. A much better painter than I suggested some green or turquoise glazes into the mid tone/shadow areas. My wife thinks the whole thing is a little bright and clean for what I am after. That is dirty steel or iron without much rust (rust colouration would be a little lose to the skin colour). The brown's I've speckled on have a little too much red in them (we think).

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 07-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.