Good Painting Light - Comparison of four.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Painting Light - Comparison of four.

Default Good Painting Light - Comparison of four.

So I've recently been thinking of upgrading to a better quality lamp for painting under - more light, better light for less eye strain and better colour matching etc.

I've narrowed it down to these four models. If possible, maybe you know about the manufacturers or maybe you've owned one of these before or even if your really knowledgeable about lights, I'd really appreciate any comments on trying to narrow it down to one of them.

Here are the contestants;

Tbh the four that I'm choosing between are the following, they all have had great feed back;

Actulite Lamps - The polarization sounds quite good, need to look a little more into it.

Ottlite - Had good feed back from a few painters and their site.

The Daylight Company - If the bulbs used here are very good daylight bulbs then this lamp will probably be the most effective of the four given that it houses 3 bulbs, unless the Actulite Lamp polarization trumps it.

From Day Light lamps UK is also a good looking contender.

Your views and opinions are much appreciated. However please don't post if all your going to write is: "I just use a normal Argos lamp and it does me fine". If thats what you use then fair enough, however this thread is being put up with the intention of discussing the above lamps and their qualities.

Particularly the " Polarization " of the Actulite brand would be something I'd really like to know more about? IE Are all daylight bulbs nowadays Polarized? If so would tha make the third lamp linked king for example.

All the best and happy painting!

I only have experience with the Ottlite, but I have to say I'm happy with it. I used to just paint under this cheap-o LED light, but after Elly showed me how things looked under his Ottlites, i had to get one. Now I paint under the combination of the Ottlite and the LED light. It works well for me.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I started painting under a daylight bulb and now that I have an Ott Light, I'll never go back. The colors are much truer and you really do have a better spectrum. I have the desk light and above my table a ceiling fan. In the ceiling fan I use Reveal blubs which help a lot too.

The funny thing is, it's so nice that I painted a gorgeous buckskin horse and when I take it to a show hall with crappy lighting he has a green tint to him.

Blog Entries

I used to use an Ottlite, but then I upgraded to one of THESE bad boys!

Where did I get it? I MacGyvered that shit. Provides excellent light.
    You can't be me, i'm a rockstar.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Ky, U.S., Earth, Milky Way, Known Univers

Lmao that's THE most badass light I have ever seen...EVAR!

hahaha - epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Where did I get it? I MacGyvered that shit.
    Let me guess, an old lamp, one paper-clip, the foil wrapping from a chewing gum and some duct tape plus a whole lot of ingenuity? lol
    "All in the game yo, all in the game."

Blog Entries

Something along those lines ;D Nuffin a good dose of British ingenuity can't fix!
    My filter is actually two paper clips and a bit of kitchen roll.

I know, I know. I'm godlike, but humble.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Back on track though - does anyone have any reviews on the Actulite Lamps?

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    I started painting under a daylight bulb and now that I have an Ott Light, I'll never go back. The colors are much truer and you really do have a better spectrum. I have the desk light and above my table a ceiling fan. In the ceiling fan I use Reveal blubs which help a lot too.

The funny thing is, it's so nice that I painted a gorgeous buckskin horse and when I take it to a show hall with crappy lighting he has a green tint to him.
    That is an issue, we work under all these fancy lights then we go to the hobby store which is dark and all the cool 2nd and 3rd shadows and highlights get lost. I went to a model show that was in a gymnasium, talk about bad light, lucky for me my category was over by the windows.
    If you have the option paint under 2 different bulb types.

Quote Originally Posted by uglybug View Post
    That is an issue, we work under all these fancy lights then we go to the hobby store which is dark and all the cool 2nd and 3rd shadows and highlights get lost. I went to a model show that was in a gymnasium, talk about bad light, lucky for me my category was over by the windows.
    If you have the option paint under 2 different bulb types.
    Exactly and that's what helps about having the Reveal bulbs in the ceiling fan and the Ott on my desktop. Another thing to remember is painting for photography is different from painting for real life. With my horses, I've gotten to the point where I take them from room to room every so often and even outside to see how they look in different light.

I just use an Argos lamp and...

I think the problem here is you're not going to be able to find anyone who has used more than one of them and certainly not all four, to be able to give comparative feedback. And anyway it would be their opinion, which could be markedly different from yours - lots of people swear by OttLites but others find them too dim for example. This could be down to how closely they can work under them due to desk layout, the general room lighting and wall colour, but differences in eyesight/accommodation are a significant factor.

Recent post of mine from pF:
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/s...387#post405387

There is a fair bit of info on the subject online now if you want to get up to speed. Ideally what you want is a bulb or tube where the CRI and colour temperature are specified by the manufacturer. The Colour Rendering Index is very important for good colour across the spectrum (aim for 90 or higher) and you want this ideally at a higher temperature (e.g. 5,000-6,000°K). Personally, I'd also like to see the spectrum for myself but this information is almost never provided.

If at all possible don't go only by the manufacturer's own info - like with any product, they're going to talk it up.

Just to mention, in brief tests I've been able to do at a couple of modelling shows I found the light they put out to be irritating; talking to some users they have mentioned they needed time to adapt.

That looks awesome. But expensive as hell. In theory you could cobble together lighting that was as good for maybe 1/2 or 3/4 the price.

Einion

I've only just switched to this light http://www.daylight-lamps.co.uk/art-...st-lamp-d33707 after saying for ages that I need better light. Having to work on my computer desk with the computer on as well as the room light this is a god send cos it is stronger than both of them and gives a good block of white light to work under (or even to the side of).

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Just to mention, in brief tests I've been able to do at a couple of modelling shows I found the light they put out to be irritating; talking to some users they have mentioned they needed time to adapt.

That looks awesome. But expensive as hell. In theory you could cobble together lighting that was as good for maybe 1/2 or 3/4 the price.

Einion
    When you say irritating, do you mean it flickers or produces a lot of glare? When people get used to it, do they then find it more comfortable to use and that it renders colours better?

Thanks for the comments guys, the more people's opinions I can get the better

Quote Originally Posted by skraaal
    When you say irritating, do you mean it flickers or produces a lot of glare?
    Sorry can't really be more precise, it just irritated my eyes in some way - this was a few years back, plus it might not have been anything I could put my finger on. Often when people talk about having to adjust to a light type, they can't specify quite what it is although obviously there's something about it that the eyes need to accommodate to.

Quote Originally Posted by skraaal
    When people get used to it, do they then find it more comfortable to use and that it renders colours better?
    Definitely that last bit, presume the first one too but don't know.

Einion

Blog Entries

My advice is always to simply photograph minis under the same light you use to paint them

That bein said, I use fluorescent desk lamps with elbows from Ikea, with some kind of pure white or daylight shenanigans fo bulbs. It's been so long I don't remember the brand. If one dies I have to buy 2 new ones lol.

Random side note: as your eyes age they filter out more blue light, which gives you better UV protection but makes things appear more yellow. Maybe that's why we remember things being so bright and vibrant in our youth! That and the world hasn't crushed our hopes and dreams yet.
    Last edited by Jericho; 05-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my hobby blog, IMMATERIUM PRESS. Rumors, hobby articles, community building and tournament organization. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Sorry can't really be more precise, it just irritated my eyes in some way - this was a few years back, plus it might not have been anything I could put my finger on. Often when people talk about having to adjust to a light type, they can't specify quite what it is although obviously there's something about it that the eyes need to accommodate to.

Definitely that last bit, presume the first one too but don't know.

Einion
    Thanks, I mean the two I'm really looking at are the triple bulb one by the daylight company and the Actulite - but like you said they're both very expensive. If I were rich i would get both! As it is though still need to save up for a while to afford one!

The simplest and cheapest solution here, in case it's not obvious - just the better bulbs.

In the US it's much easier to find bulbs that list the temperature and maybe the CRI (especially if you use the manufacturers' websites for reference, plus you can find independent comparisons) but it's still worth having a look in the UK.

The Daylight company's tubes/bulbs aren't completely over the odds though so they are an easy option - get the lamp(s) from Argos or Ikea (or one you already have!) + Daylight bulb and once you match the wattage you've got the same light as if you'd bought their lamp. Seemples.

Einion

Blog Entries

^

This is what I did with my awesome lamp.
    When the day of judgement comes, only the super smart like me will survive!