Unboxing my Pinchbot "Infestation" statue (with pics)

Thread: Unboxing my Pinchbot "Infestation" statue (with pics)

Default Unboxing my Pinchbot "Infestation" statue (with pics)

Heya. To anyone who has heard of or is interested in 3D printing, or the works of Alessandro Baldasseroni, this might interest you. A brand new company called Pinchbot has released their first statue, which is a limited-run print of Alessandro's "Infestation". It is fully assembled, fully painted, and each is numbered.

This model kind of represents a new niche is statue collecting. "Infestation" is perfect for fans of CG modelers who work in video games and movies. Instead of supporting an established comic book or a movie license, this statue captures the result of what happens when a famous CG modeler works from a great piece of concept art. I do CG at my work station, and this is perhaps the worlds best statue to have on my desk. It is pretty damn inspiring!

I recently ordered mine and just got it in the mail, and wanted to share with you the unboxing. From a CG artists perspective, it is amazing to have discovered this model online and then one day been able to have one in front of me!

The "Infestation" concept was originally illustrated by Francisco Ruiz Velasco, and you can check out his blog at http://fruiz-fruiz.blogspot.com/ . The final sculpt was done by the skilled Alessandro Baldasseroni, and you can see his sculpts at http://www.eklettica.com/ . Here are some WIP pics that I found online.

When I saw the model on Pinchbot.com I was flabbergasted. It was like the model came to life. To me, this model is right in between my statue collecting and interest in CG modeling, making it a must-have. I picked it up at the post office, brought it back to work, and this is what I found!

The packaging is slick and secure. The box itself is a keeper. The printed and numbered base, complete with non-slip pads, is a real plus. I own a lot of statues, and this one is in a league of its own. Check it out.

I am really impressed with the packaging, and final quality of the model. The hand painting is beautiful. The marble finish to the base is the best I have ever seen. Only 99 other people in the world will have one of these, which adds to its beauty.

I hope that this CG model/statue crossover becomes a scene. Instead of comic book fans recognizing my statue it is now the CG modelers, and that is pretty cool. Pinchbot has had a great start with this model, and I am looking forward to what they make next.

Blog Entries

Nice and you have no. 7 as well!!! This kind of product unboxing is nice to see, helps people make purchasing decisions. I like the sculpt but the paintjob isn't doing anything for me. I would have to repaint it.

Dont 'spose you are getting any of the DC Dynamic statues at all are you lol?

(This is what I am talking about http://www.toymania.com/news/images/0909_dcd_batdyn.jpg )

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

It's cool, but I agree with DFB...I'd wanna repaint it, which would ruin the value.

Oh! quite nice. I have seen the CG model on ZBrush site. There are quite a few that I would like to have 'printed' there. Like DFB and Supervike I would also repaint it. Hope they would think to offer one unpainted one day!

Thanks for the pictures and the news about this new company, I'll look them up!

Yes, a repaint would probably look nice, and with only 100 of these in the world it would make it extremely rare as well. For me tho, I find it very relaxing to have a pre-paint because it provides a nice learning experience, it is less work for me, and it holds a little more true to the collectible nature of the thing. Having said that, an unpainted resin version would be pretty awesome to paint! I hope they get some of those!

dogfacedboy, I only have some marvel and alternative statues right now, no DC. I love the DC stuff tho. That latest Black Widow statue looks amazing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    Yes, a repaint would probably look nice, and with only 100 of these in the world it would make it extremely rare as well. For me tho, I find it very relaxing to have a pre-paint because it provides a nice learning experience, it is less work for me, and it holds a little more true to the collectible nature of the thing. Having said that, an unpainted resin version would be pretty awesome to paint! I hope they get some of those!

dogfacedboy, I only have some marvel and alternative statues right now, no DC. I love the DC stuff tho. That latest Black Widow statue looks amazing.
    Yeah, I wouldnt recommend repainting your statue if it is limited edition number 7 even if you did want to. It may affect its collectability.

I know a couple of forums where the some of the guys who sculpt for marvel and dc hang out, its good to see them posting stuff up after they get permission and to see personal projects and stuff. A lot of them are on deviant art as well. For starters look for "trevsolo" on deviantart.com. He sculpts a lot of lord of the rings stuff for sideshow. His stuff will blow you away.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...