USA Little Boy Bowl Haircuts

Thread: USA Little Boy Bowl Haircuts

Default USA Little Boy Bowl Haircuts

Hi guys, I don't think I've brought this up before

These little boys on TV I keep seeing with bowl haircuts. For example Shane in Weeds or that nauseating brat in the recent Star Warts films and many others who utterly fail to spring to mind at the moment Is it just televisual shorthand? This haircut = prepubescent boy? Presumably as most 8-10 year olds will be acted by small 13-14 year olds it's an extra bit of costume that is recognised nationwide as meaning young boy? Are there really primary school playgrounds across the US stuffed with (straight haired) little boys with godawful bowl haircuts? Please tell me it's just TV

You just don't see it here in the UK, either in real life or on TV, with the same seeming ubiquity.

It occurs to me that the grotesque Justin Beiber, who I couldn't have given a fig about until I accidentally saw him interviewed and was almost overcome by the urge to punch the TV screen, has the same bloody haircut. He must be 15 or so? So the shorthand of bowlhead = young also carries over to cute/innocent? Do parents feel safer letting their daughters moon over this particular teenage boy than one in a boy band who has spikey hair? Does this mean that Beiber cutting his hair is a major marketing moment that has to be carefully controlled for maximum profit? If he does a Wayne Rooney & pays an elderly lady for recreational sex, will the power of the iconic hairstyle outweigh the misdemeanor?

None of you have inflicted this on your own kids have you? :the horror: ;P

Or am I just imagining things?

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

It's always been a little boy staple. I had em growing up, and I have the pics to prove it.

It has enjoyed a bit of a resurgence with the canadian horror though. Ugh.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I grew up detesting the bowl hair... Though I grew up having a mullet so my opinion might not count...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Moe Approves:

Name:  bowlhaircut.jpg
Views: 293902
Size:  21.7 KB

It was something you'd have been mocked in the playground for when I was little, rather like my dark brown National Health glasses with a plaster over one lense

I've also seen it recently on the mini that CreganTur commissioned I now remember.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Maybe we should give the 10th anniversary mini of chern a bowl haircut.

I think it was quite popular in the late 90's but not so much anymore, I believe the faux hawk has gathered quite a following though. sigh........

yep...i had a bowl haircut. my two boys have had them.....and being a teacher......yep....its a right of passage. thank god the mullet is dead.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    . thank god the mullet is dead.
    My mullet is free flowing, and begging to differ!

Well I was dragged up with the old Short Back and Sides.
    Grew it out when I was older, but now it's mostly grey keeping it as neat and short as I can.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Well I was dragged up with the old Short Back and Sides.
    Grew it out when I was older, but now it's mostly grey keeping it as neat and short as I can.
    A bic would get it shorter

The mullet is most definitely not dead. At least not here in the States. Heck, it's a badge of honor is some parts.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Mullet as a strange yet somewhat sexy fashion statement:
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    I grew up detesting the bowl hair... Though I grew up having a mullet so my opinion might not count...
    You don't choose the mullet. The mullet chooses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuggoth View Post
    Mullet as a strange yet somewhat sexy fashion statement:

She rocking the newest redneck rage: The BOWL MULLET!!

The Bowullet!

Man that video was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    Hi guys, I don't think I've brought this up before

These little boys on TV I keep seeing with bowl haircuts. For example Shane in Weeds or that nauseating brat in the recent Star Warts films and many others who utterly fail to spring to mind at the moment Is it just televisual shorthand? This haircut = prepubescent boy? Presumably as most 8-10 year olds will be acted by small 13-14 year olds it's an extra bit of costume that is recognised nationwide as meaning young boy? Are there really primary school playgrounds across the US stuffed with (straight haired) little boys with godawful bowl haircuts? Please tell me it's just TV

You just don't see it here in the UK, either in real life or on TV, with the same seeming ubiquity.

It occurs to me that the grotesque Justin Beiber, who I couldn't have given a fig about until I accidentally saw him interviewed and was almost overcome by the urge to punch the TV screen, has the same bloody haircut. He must be 15 or so? So the shorthand of bowlhead = young also carries over to cute/innocent? Do parents feel safer letting their daughters moon over this particular teenage boy than one in a boy band who has spikey hair? Does this mean that Beiber cutting his hair is a major marketing moment that has to be carefully controlled for maximum profit? If he does a Wayne Rooney & pays an elderly lady for recreational sex, will the power of the iconic hairstyle outweigh the misdemeanor?

None of you have inflicted this on your own kids have you? :the horror: ;P

Or am I just imagining things?

Cheers, B.

Alls I have to say to that is... "Harry Potter". Nuff said!

Alls I have to say to that is... "Harry Potter". Nuff said!
    Are you refering to the British books or to the American films?

B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...