Pics of Citadel Finecast GRRRRRR - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pics of Citadel Finecast GRRRRRR

To sum up, I bought two finecast models today.

Its working properties are the worst of both world's between plasticene and a Jacob's cracker. Sometimes it warps and resists cutting, other times it breaks away in shards and leaves holes; details can be lost and would take a master to replace with green stuff, not to mention hours of precious time.

Even though I inspected both models before I left the store when I got them home I found there was a bald patch in a cloak and two channels running through the feet of the wood elf mage.

Strangely when I asked the store manager if the models had been repainted by the eavy metal team (hehe, nearly typed eavy mental) he said 'no but the first casts are always done in resin'

Any one know if this is true?

Sounds awful. I had better luck as I described earlier, could the mixing of the stuff be an issue? I saw some Mandrakes the other day with swords like rubber. Really hope they manage to fix these issues.

Yes the eavy metal paints resins, but the ordinary kind last time I heard.

Any chance the finecast stuff is just going to be a phase, or does it seem they're going all the way with it with (apparently) very little real world research into how well the models will hold up?

No clue if they'll ever turn back from resin, but atm i'm just getting my hands on whatever metal miniature i had on my shopping list for a while. Guess as soon as new models start to appear as slimecast only, i'm out of the way. Their loss, been buying their minis for more then two decades, that must be an awfull lot of cash

FINE=
    F - F*cked Up
    I - Insecure
    N - Neurotic
    E - Emotional

I recently bought a copy of yarrick, had to send off for another one to get enough bits to make a whole one.

Although some there are down sides at lest with resin its a heck of a lot less prep work on a crappy model than on a metal one. That said, the two i got were 10x worse than any resin mini I have bought off any company ever. If one man bands can manage it, so can a large company like GW

Quote Originally Posted by alextheartist View Post
    If one man bands can manage it, so can a large company like GW
    That yet remains to be proven.

Ebay has been the only beneficiary of this whole silliness, he typed as he browsed Ebay...
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by alextheartist View Post
    If one man bands can manage it, so can a large company like GW
    One would like to think so, but it of course pre-supposes that a big company bothers to care as much as a smaller manufacturer.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    One would like to think so, but it of course pre-supposes that a big company bothers to care as much as a smaller manufacturer.
    Guess we'll have to make our wallets bother for them so.

sounds like a money issue to me. the cost of raw materials is constantly going up. It may be that they dont think metal is as cost effective anymore.

Or it could be as someone pointed out to me that resin holds more detail than metal. Ive had orcs with blobs for hands where it looked like the metal cooled before it completely filled the cavity.

With that said, ive always prefered metal over resin.

quality control- this is why i like smaller companies. I like the fact that all kinds of mini, one to two person shops are poping up-it shows the whole industry is growing, not dying like the resin model kit industry and other hobby/craft, etc.

even still, id go either way

just injecting some optimism

Welp I bought my first finecast today. It was a second run Vlad von Carstein. And it's amazing. slightly bent sword, and that's it.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.