Golden Demon Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Demon Question

Default Golden Demon Question

How picky exactly is GW when it comes to using things from other companies in a GD entry? I mean, another company's figure is right out. I would guess using barrels from Tamiya or Verlinden (as opposed to the one in GW's accessories kit) would also be out. But what about more minor things? A few examples:

1. If I were converting up a Land Raider, is it not cool to use tank parts from say, a Dragon Models or Tamiya kit?

2. Grandt Line makes injection molded hex bolt heads, as well as studs with a hex nut and washer. If I were scratchbuilding some machinery, would using those bolt heads be oky?

3. Busch Models makes tiny little injection molded flowers. Are those a no-go for basing?

Basing and diorama stuff should be ok. As for models no other companies figs but as long as you heavily convert or cover you should be able to get away with a few vehicle tech pieces if you do it sparingly.

Other wise if your still iffy it's easiest to just not use it. That way no surprises later because finial word is all ways up to the judges.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

#2, the bolt heads, may be okay, I'd say they have been allowed before, and the basing materials are fine. Using other vihicle parts are tricky as it is directly against the rules. That said, if it were converted enought to fit 40K, it shouldn't be a problem. How will they know if you used their static grass, or crappy snow? I say that you should avoid the other companies vehicle parts, but the rest should be fine.

you cannot use anything in terms of modeling form another compony. barrels or anything. only exceptions are things like watering effects basing materials and anything organic/ not cast. if a compony makes casted resin flowers, i would stay away from it. if a compony makes organic flowers out of non cast materials, companies such as woodland scenics and stuff. do not use anything anywhere that is a cast bit from a different compony. the judges will slam you for that. ive seen it happen. its not worth you time.
    -Ansel
    "If you've got what it takes...
    Its gonna take everything you've got."

In baltimor last year they knocked off major points on a diorama because the guy used another companies fern looking plant instead of the one that GW makes. I think the fern they make is a bit from lizard men box or something. The guy was pretty pissed since he came from australia. I may have photo I can post later.

yeah it was kyle morgans dirama, and I dont think that the fern was the problem, becuase if there is a problem like "you used other companies bitz" then it usually just leads to the model being disqualified. it didnt win becuase of other reasons. dont use non gw stuff unless its organic matter. if you buy, for example, birch seeds and use them as leaves thats no problem, but if its like a metal or resin fern in most cases they wouldn't take points off they will disqualify you. they dont want other companies stuff being advertised. plus is a gw comp and they have a right to say, use our stuff. however nobody will ever slam you for using another companies static grass. but if they make a resin barrel... dont use it.
    "If you've got what it takes...
    Its gonna take everything you've got."

Bearing in mind that GW have come down hard on companies making "similar" products to there own ranges I'd stear away from anything that could be identified as not GW this year more than most. That said, little hex bolts could actually be made from a press mold or one of the little rivet molds you can buy (manufacturer name eludes me though) so wouldn't clearly be identifiable where they came from

p.

With regards to basing I would say that it's fair game to use stuff from another company when GW don't make it themselves, such as grass tufts or ivy. For extras on vehicles I would say that things that can definitely be identified as coming from a kit or a cast set of parts are certainly out. As mentioned hex bolts and other such minor detailing would be allowed.
    So in order of your questions.
    #1 - It could be cool to use other companies tank bits but not if you are planning on entering an official GW event such as the GD
    #2 - Yes
    #3 - Injection molded flowers are a no-go
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Kyles Diorama got hit because he used the GW "ferns" but they were not realistic looking , Sad because those kroot were just amazing.... anyways Yah stay away from any cast or etched product from another company. best to just make your own or find something from a gw line that is close to your idea.

This thread seems to be populated by folks in the US but there are differences in the regions as well. Some other countries are more or less tolerant of other manufacturers bits in the entries.

Zach
    www.crookedeye.net

I have no idea about the questions, but just wanted to say HIYA Bexley, haven't seen you in a while.

Vike: Heh. Probably because there's no Iron Painter yet this year.

Everyone else: Thanks for the help. The hex bolts/nuts are the only item I'd really planned on using. In my head, though, they're no different than the tiny flowers Busch makes. Worst case, I could slice up some hex rod and make my own, but being able to trim and glue pre-made ones is a lot easier. I think to be safe, though, I'll make my own.

I believe it is mentioned in the rules, but since GD is ultimately just an advertisement, they want you using *their* stuff.

Considering that the slayer sword in GD france used a entire bigass resin house from a competing company - as big as the skaven bell - I think some washers and a few flowers might be ok.....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/279169
    http://www.tabletop-world.com/merchantsHouse.php
    Fluff Logic only applies in the GW game-iverse and has absolutley nothing to do with reality. It needs to be applied heavy handed and with liberal amounts of fan boy body odour.

Well spotted there Slah.

So it comes down to the fact that either the judges didn't know it was a kit from another company ( probably quite likely given the narrow field of view that most GW staff have) or that they did know but didn't care.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Quote Originally Posted by slah View Post
    Considering that the slayer sword in GD france used a entire bigass resin house from a competing company - as big as the skaven bell - I think some washers and a few flowers might be ok.....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/279169
    http://www.tabletop-world.com/merchantsHouse.php
    Quote Originally Posted by nels0nmac View Post
    Well spotted there Slah.

So it comes down to the fact that either the judges didn't know it was a kit from another company ( probably quite likely given the narrow field of view that most GW staff have) or that they did know but didn't care.
    If you read the speil underneath the picture he says the scenery is scratchbuilt.....so unless the contest got changed to 2 day event instead of one for longing judging, things like this will get through.

I remember a Macharius (202618) that uses custom designed brass etch detailing...
    It won Gold in the UK...

A loophole? The answer to your question?

at the very least a great model, deserving it's win
    "The purpose of life is to be remembered, the meaning of life is to remember those that came before you." -Mourner

My personal motto when it comes to painting:
    "Try everything, and find what works for you."

My personal motto when it comes to life:
    "You can do anything you like, as long as you do it right."

On the other hand i remember marvelous diorama that was riped from GD due to one stone pillar that was from the diferent company,

Quote Originally Posted by Mourner View Post
    I remember a Macharius (202618) that uses custom designed brass etch detailing...
    It won Gold in the UK...

A loophole? The answer to your question?

at the very least a great model, deserving it's win
    For me that is not against the rules... although it depends on your interpretation of "Custom designed brass etchings". To me it suggests that the person in question drew them up and had a company produce them for him as a one off, not that they were "off the shelf" components. The Souldrinker Librarian that got me bronze in last years UK GD had custom made brass bits on as well.

As for the resin house he described it as "scratched" .. a rather loose term perhaps to cover his back... although to be fair the original kit has had a lot of work done to it to get it to look like it does in his diorama. I'm presuming that the rules for the French GD are the same as those for the UK GD?