Severus: 'Renewal'

Thread: Severus: 'Renewal'

Default Severus: 'Renewal'

Hi guys,

I don't often post here these days, but I thought you might like to see the photos of this one with the WIP photos of the base, and the large size pic.

This is the other mini I did for Auscon '11, a new convention/painting comp here in Australia.

First of all, a HUGE thanks to Bistra Atanassova for the photos, really excellent...! All I've done is cut them out and put them on a blue background. Thanks again Bistra

I've put a 'mega size' pic at the top, for those who are interested....just click the thumbnail. This is on the original white background, at the full size of the original photo I got from Bistra.

OK, here are some of the thoughts behind the creation of the figure:

I wanted to use some different colours to usual on this one, and I wanted the mini to stand out, so I decided to go for a colour scheme built around bright orange robes.

The idea with this one was to push the theory of 'colour echoes' as far as I could. What I mean, is that I wanted to use a clear and strong colour scheme, which would be both echoed throughout the figure and also on the base. The colour scheme I've used on the figure is a tetradic balanced scheme: the dominant (strongest) colours are orange and its complement cyan; the secondary colour pairing is yellow-green and the complement red-purple (violet).

All the colours on the figure are based around these 4 colour hues, and also all the colours on the base incorporate one of these hues. The idea is to complement and support the colour scheme of the figure with the base, forming a complete 'whole' - a composition of figure and base/environment that looks like it should all belong together.

All the stonework on the base is sculpted with super sculpey firm, and milliput for the rocks - I've put some pics underneath that show the WIP process. The tree is made from a root, with those leaves stuck on individually (yes, I did almost go crazy!).

I've also included some photos that show how I create the flat black back and sides to the base, using bits of plastic cut to size and stuck on, with some milliput over any joins.

Lots of fun to create, and I hope you like the figure too.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/280470

I'll do my best to answer any questions or criticisms!

Last edited by automaton; 06-10-2011 at 02:55 AM.
    and the GoH store:

Well that's just all kinds of awesome, beautiful work all around!

was just about to mention that this looked very much like automaton's work, just to realize it is!
    awesome, simply awesome, both the mini and the base is lovely

Yes, amazingly cool. I love seeing the WIP progress.

What are those transparent plastic sheets used for?

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post

What are those transparent plastic sheets used for?
    They are just showing the easy method I use to get a smooth surface when I build up the sides and back of a base. I get the general surface shape, then stick a couple of bits of plastic on to create a smooth, flat surface. Then I just cut the plastic to fit, fill in any gaps with milliput, and voila: smooth flat surface with no need for sanding.
    and the GoH store:

Quote Originally Posted by automaton View Post
    Thanks for the comments, guys!

They are just showing the easy method I use to get a smooth surface when I build up the sides and back of a base. I get the general surface shape, then stick a couple of bits of plastic on to create a smooth, flat surface. Then I just cut the plastic to fit, fill in any gaps with milliput, and voila: smooth flat surface with no need for sanding.
    Great tip! Thanks.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Seb, you make me sick. That base is amazing, and I bet it took you very little effort at all. And the paint is just amazing. I wish I had just a small fraction of your ability, then I could do that! Turns out I struggle with perfecting my much lower skill level, and it is nothing next to this. Anyway, great job.

outstanding work
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Sometimes you can learn so much from simple step by step pictures...........in my case I still have a long way to go.
    Cheers Sebastian and thanks for setting the bar higher each time. Great work.

OH and as for the Steampunk Dorothy you did for Auzcon, she's Beautiful. And I know it'll mean I'll be getting a couple more when she goes to metal.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

out of curiosity, how did you cure the sculpey?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys, it's always great to hear that you like a mini

freak - I jsut put the whole thing, base and all, into the oven and baked as normal for super sculpey. The base is made of wood, so I didn't see it as a problem - the oven temp is only 130 celsius, and it;s only for 15 mins, so it's not hot enough to burn the wood or anything. Although you know, I did have a near disaster: I think perhaps the cork underneath expanded a bit, because when I took the base out of the oven there was a big crack through the brickwork. Luckily it was meant to have a 'ruin' look so I just went with it and incoroprated the crack into the base, but I suppose it might be a lesson to be careful of using cork as an under-structure. Maybe I should have posted a disclaimer, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I wish I had just a small fraction of your ability, then I could do that! Turns out I struggle with perfecting my much lower skill level, and it is nothing next to this.
    I know you weren't being completely serious - and thanks for the compliment - but you know, you shouldn't think like that. My opinion is that with lots of practice, plus some dedication and thought, anyone can achieve the results they want...it's not as if I suddenly painted this way the first time I picked up a brush. I've spent many many hours working on my painting technique, and pushing myself over the years. I think one of the keys to improving is not just 'painting', but having a goal...trying to improve yourself with each figure, rather than jsut being satisfied with thinking something is 'good enough'. Of course, I'm talking about display painting rather than painting for gaming...that is a different story, and there is definitely a 'good enough' level there I think! (ie. "I won't burst into tears if the mini gets chipped by dice impact" hehe )
    and the GoH store:

Beautiful work!! Love the basework and I really like that it manages not to overpower the miniature.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by automaton View Post
    ...I know you weren't being completely serious - and thanks for the compliment - but you know, you shouldn't think like that. My opinion is that with lots of practice, plus some dedication and thought, anyone can achieve the results they want...it's not as if I suddenly painted this way the first time I picked up a brush. I've spent many many hours working on my painting technique, and pushing myself over the years. I think one of the keys to improving is not just 'painting', but having a goal...trying to improve yourself with each figure, rather than jsut being satisfied with thinking something is 'good enough'. Of course, I'm talking about display painting rather than painting for gaming...that is a different story, and there is definitely a 'good enough' level there I think! (ie. "I won't burst into tears if the mini gets chipped by dice impact" hehe )
    No, I wasn't being completely serious. Actually, I know the value of practice, I have come a long way from where I started, or even where I was a year ago. The project I am working on now has been done using a lot of the techniques I have learned from your articles. Hopefully it will be the best I have done to this point. Fortunately, every year I am able to make a great leap in ability, and each new project is better than the previous. The WIP of this one already shows that it is the best so far. Anyway, thanks for posting such an inspiring mini.

Incredible, im.... well speechless, I agree with Avelorn how you made the base so beautiful without overpowering the mini is a genius.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Great stuff Seb and thanks for posting the large pic.

Regards,
    Zach
    www.crookedeye.net

If the mini wasn't so well painted the base could easily outshine it. But the mini is so very well painted that the base is nothing but a stunning compliment.

Awesome. Thanks for showing the WIP pics too.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery