So am I forgiven?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So am I forgiven?

Default So am I forgiven?

Well about 6 months ago I posted my first ever topic on here (The Inaccuracy of Voting on CMON) and was given a sound thrashing by some because of the way I\'ve interpreted the voting system here...

Since then I noticed that my minis that were doing OK plummeted in scores so I decided that I was clearly being targeted because of my posts. Whether this was true or not it turned me off CMON for a good few months...

Now I\'m back and I realise I don\'t really care any more. I\'m going to keep voting the way I do and not care if it results in some small minded individuals venting anger on my minis! :D

I\'m going to use CMON to simply get better at painting. So what\'s the chance this estranged member will be welcomed back into the community? :)

Yeah, some new people are scared of the \"low\" scores their minis get. If the picture is good, then a mini that has a score of 7 is very good, above 8 is excellent quality and everything above 9 is amazing. The 6-7 range is for good quality gaming minis.

Vote on other minis, and participate in the forum discussing new techniques or asking for advice, and then apply what you\'ve learned to your minis and you\'ll see your score increase.

Good luck!

Indigo:
    So what\'s the chance this estranged member will be welcomed back into the community?
    Of Course, You just have to pay the penance. Free mini\'s for everyone. ;)lol

Welcome back.

The forums created some heated discussions sometimes but very rarely does it get personal. As for scores getting \"sniped\" Welcome to the club, it\'s a sigh of good quality to get a figure hit by a \"Low Score Sniper\"

?So why do they target me? ???

The more the merrier :)

By the time your posting freak like these guys you\'ll forget all about it and your scores.
    You end up with so much quality concern here and assistance and moral support.

Welcome back
    from a newbie here also

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

come on in, the water is fine. We were all new posters here at one time, even Finn. (but I think he was born full-grown with 1000 posts).

Your scoreboard and trolls are looking pretty good. But you will not score much above a 7 without display bases. (tough crowd, but that is the way it is.) I do \"for play\" pieces as well, so I understand about not using display bases.

Is it true what I\'ve heard about this place? Namely to stand a chance of getting anything remotely more than a 7 or 8 you need to use NMM, be able to blend/layer like a god and adorn everything with a display base?

I can\'t say I personally like NMM really, it has it\'s uses but it\'s waaayyy overrated!

To get above a 7, I think you need to be very clean and start to do some things that make your minis stand out from the pack a bit ... whether that be some freehand, a cool base, etc.

To get above an 8, there can\'t be any \"mistakes\" on the mini and it MUST have some real flare ... interesting color combos, nice freehand, a cool base, etc.

Beyond that, it\'s all a matter of taste ... if you\'ve done everything can with the mini, and it\'s something that resonates with a large portion of the crowd here, you can get into the top scores.

But, you should ignore all that ... don\'t paint to get high scores. Paint what you like to paint and see how it goes. If you want to experiment with the \"advanced\" techniques, do so, but because you\'re intersted in learning them, not because you think you\'ll score better.

About NMM ... I have plenty of minis above 8 ... very few are NMM. So, you can get high scoring minis without doing NMM.

Best of luck,
    jim

Originally posted by Indigo
    Is it true what I\'ve heard about this place? Namely to stand a chance of getting anything remotely more than a 7 or 8 you need to use NMM, be able to blend/layer like a god and adorn everything with a display base? Nah just start small and make a good clean job and try to listen to all the sensible advice. (if there is such a thing here!) Pick a mini you are happy with and go for it.

I can\'t say I personally like NMM really, it has it\'s uses but it\'s waaayyy overrated! It\'s a horses for courses thing, if you can master NMM then you can master any paint method. It\'s a good way to learn/teach yorself to control the strength of your layers/blending. Try NMM techniques on metallics. There are some very good effects that way.

Nononono.. though CMON voters are a tough crowd you can get 8s with a hello kitty space marines :rolleyes:

But I (finally) managed a 7 with my newest, just a simple paintjob.. although i think the freehand, yet simple has helped. But I emphasized a lot on the main two parts, armor and skin. And i think it\'s because of that i got a 7. But i spent a lot of time on him, 12 hours.. a lot on my standards :)

We are a forgiving bunch really :) Everyone gets frustrated about the voting sometimes, but for me, it\'s not important (until I sniped for the first time I guess).

I come here for the banter, hints and tips and inspiration :D

Welcome back and enjoy!

Default This isn\'t a \'tough\' site...It\'s just the biggest

There are over 35 THOUSAND images posted on this site. Lots of people come here sometimes and some people come here lots. There are posters in this forum who have nearly voted on every image here...just think about that...

Also bear in mind that \'10\' is perfection and this site is full of work from Golden Demon winners, and \'proper\' professional painters.To score a 7 therefore is high praise indeed.

People\'s minis get rated highly on other sites, but the total number of votes is often quite small. In some cases I can think of, if you took away votes from friends and family and eliminated \'multiple voting\' the total number of votes can be insignificant.

Tough? No.

Premier League? Yes.

Default Nothing to forgive

Indigo, welcome back but there was nothing you needed to ask forgiveness for. Having an opinion here is one thing you are guaranteed, if you speak from the heart and are true to yourself, who cares if people agree with you or not. I am glad that you are here to improve your skills and for your own personal enjoyment. I know that this is a large site, over 35,000 images and growing, but I share your opinion as well that this is a tough site, fair generally, but tough. Yes NMM is one way to improve your score as well as painting strickly Rackham minis, taking perfect photos, and as blending like a god too. My advice is to use all the tools here for inspiration and paint for one reason above all, your own personal satisfaction. As long as you are happy, it is nice to share your work, but don\'t get caught up in everyone\'s opinion, your own should be the only one that truly matter.

\"Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong...\" -Dennis Miller

Default So tough in fact...

That this:

Currently stands at 8.5. You will notice a distinct lack of NMM and nothing Godlike to speak of. Granted, it does have a display base, but most importantly....it is original, it has a spark of humour.

If people post Space Marines, common Reaper minis and the usual GW output, then BY GOD, they have to be good to stand out from the crowd.

There is nothing strange, mystical or \'tough\' about that simple fact...

Keep in mind that the scores are relative too - the numbers themselves are meaningless outside the context of the body of work here. I was a little surprised at the lower scores I get now compared to when I previously posted here, but in looking at other works with comparable scores, my scores are right on. If nothing else, it is inspiration to improve!

Oh, and I see that Finn still disagrees with everyone :D (just kidding around there my 3000 post friend!)

My best-scoring mini (a whopping 7.4) is not even close to my best work. In fact my \"best work\" is almost a whole half-point below it. But people seem to like it for other reasons (though it\'s not half as creative as the above example ;))

Adventure? Excitement? 8\'s? A Jedi craves not these things.

Default Rubbish!

Originally posted by Primeval
    Oh, and I see that Finn still disagrees with everyone :D (just kidding around there my 3000 post friend!)
    ...Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half-hour???

LOL - at least you let me get past the abuse department and right to the argument department!

Default I\'ve never abused you!

You are my favourite barbarian:flip:

Glad to hear it, I think if you would have gone into the abuse department bit from Monty Python and called me a malodorous git I would have been really hurt (barbarians have feelings too!)