Is nothing sacred - Another part of my childhood destroyed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is nothing sacred - Another part of my childhood destroyed

Default Is nothing sacred - Another part of my childhood destroyed

Ok,

George Lucas's Prequels - Killed Starwars
    Michael Bay - Killed Transformers

And now Thundercats has been transformed into utter Shite with a new Manga style Cartoon series where they all look like freaks:

and the trailer

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/06/15/...objectid=76335

Why?!?!?!?!?!

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Because it will sell toys, that's why. That's the only reason anyone does anything, anymore. Need I point out that the G.I. JOE movie killed G.I. JOE? Or that the X-Men movies sucked? Or that George Lucas killed/raped Indiana Jones, too? And even with all the killing and raping, toys were made, and toys were sold.

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

If you want sodomy of childhood look on youtube for teesside tin tin episode eleven. WARNING IT'S MASSIVELY UNSUITABLE FOR WORK, NEAR CHILDREN OR LIVING CREATURES.

I'm off to re-live my childhood by watching the first series of ThunderCats on DvD

Well, now, I'm not a big fan of the 'prequels', but nothing has ever hurt the original Star Wars movies. They are still great flicks, with awesome characters.

However, Transformers? This was a TV show based off of a Toy line. Not the other way around. I wouldn't expect much from that property anyhow. I could never quite grasp why superduper powerful intelligent robots needed to morph into something mundane.

I can't comment on Thundercats. I've never seen an episode of that. However, Anime anything usually turns me off.

O man thundercats!

Awesome show. I dont mind them re-doing as my s on will watch it and i will buy the toys for "him"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Gah. This is why I try to pay as little attention as possible to what the so-called entertainment industry is up to these days. 9_9

Thundercats was a reason to a major childhood trauma. I saw every episode on the summer but the last one was when school had started. So I set the video to record it... unfortunately there was a delay in the screening and the episode started 15 minutes late... never got to see the final battle!

Absolutely one of my favourite series as a child!

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Thundercats WAS my favorite show as a kid. I can't bring myself to get the dvds, because I worry it will kill my fond memories. I had a friend who loved Transformers cartoons as a kid, got and watched the dvds a couple of years ago and was disgusted that he was such a fan as a kid! Maybe somethings are left to memory.

What experiences have people had re-watching old shows from childhood, after they have become adults?

Hang on a minute.

The original series was one of the most anime inspired cartoons around. Japanese director, loads of Japanese animators and artists (many of whom went on to work for Studio Ghibli) and it was actually produced in Japan by PAC. The visual style was decidedly Japanese - which is why it was better than most of the crap that was around at the time. Plus it had great title music

The redesigns might not to be to everyone's tastes, but it's not because they're 'Manga', it's just because they're not very good!

Edit: I actually thought it looked quite good after watching the trailer
    Last edited by Spacemunkie; 06-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Pantero looks pretty cool in the concept...
    Lion-o looks like a Tween..

@MightyChad: going back and watching the old stuff is usually pretty heartbreaking...
    watching old GIJoe cartoons makes me cringe, and that was one of my favorites as a kid...

the biggest disappointment i had was when i showed my girlfriend the movie Beastmaster last year...
    i kept telling her how awesome it was, and how it made me wish i had a black panther and some trained ferrets, a dream i still entertain to this day...
    i went on and on about how wicked the black panther was...
    the second he showed up on the screen, my girlfriend turns to me and goes, "why is the tiger painted black?"
    i was gutted...
    as a kid i never noticed it was a painted tiger, now i can't even watch the movie thanks to that damn painted tiger...

i usually appreciate a modern version of an old movie, thanks to the advances in graphics, but new versions of cartoons don't really improve on the old ones, not even with CG...
    though i do like original stuff in CG that we didn't have as kids, like the Starship Troopers Roughnecks stuff...

maybe a new version of Robotech in CG would be pretty awesome...
    maybe that's blasphemy...

cheers
    jah

no high tech tech? on the same planet that they started on? humm.. what the heck are on Chetara's <sp> wrists and ankles? I'm not to sure I like the look of Liono and Tiger guy (his name escapes me atm), but I think I'm liking Snarf and the twins.
    Should be interesting to see. And hopefully they do it right and not go uber kid/family friendly, now that would be a real kick in the balls......
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Robotech was EPIC

I bought the transformers DVDS and still love them.

lol painted tiger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLgekyOZA0

face palm

Blog Entries

I actually like the graphical style. At least it allows you to keep the classic series firmly seperated from the new one. My concern would be keeping the music intact to be honest and keeping the characters the same. Lets wait and see what the finished product is like before giving it too much stick.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

I can not type through the tears
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Just imagine how much better Robotech would have been if we didn't have to listen to MinMay singing the same two songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... *pant pant pant* and over and over again.

*** Edit: Just watched the Thundercats trailer and forgot to pause my music at the same time. Dave Matthews 'Crash' goes very well with the trailer.
    Last edited by BarstoolProphet; 06-21-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Talion, sorry dude, nothing is sacred. If they can make a buck off it, they'll try - ergo the SpiderMan reboot, the Robocop reboot, The Thing reboot, the Escape From New York reboot etc. etc. etc. - nearly 100 franchises have been or are scheduled to be restarted!

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    George Lucas's Prequels - Killed Starwars
    Michael Bay - Killed Transformers
    In no way can the prequels be said to have killed Star Wars, the franchise is stronger than it has ever been in the past. Eps. 1, 2 and 3 may not be to the taste of many fans - not all - of the first movies but a lot of that is just that we're no longer the right age; whether we like it or not we're not the target market. Frankly if you go back and really watch the first three there's plenty to pick at in the same way we slag off Jar-Jar for example, I mean come on, the Ewoks FFS?!

And I happen to think that the first Transformers film was the best thing the franchise has ever had to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Or that the X-Men movies sucked?
    Hold on a second there chief...

Einion

Agreed Einion. I thought the X-Men flicks were surprisingly good....and part of the reason Super Hero movies are no longer 'straight to dvd' quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    In no way can the prequels be said to have killed Star Wars, the franchise is stronger than it has ever been in the past.
    I didn't mean it killed it out right, but it left a severe dent (making many feel that starwars would be remembered by the young as 2 films that sucked. I quite liked "Revenge of the Sith".......I think the Clone Wars Series has brought the life back into it

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    And I happen to think that the first Transformers film was the best thing the franchise has ever had to offer.
    Have to disagree with these......the franchise had so much potential, and we ended up with crap movies. Crap Transformation sequences....(expect the blackhawk at the beginning of the first film), hopeless acting, and crap looking Transformers. Second film being the worst.

I like the X-men films, second being the best of the three.

I don't like the look of the new Thundercats - Liono and Cheetarah, both look like teenagers......obviouls just to appeal to the kiddies. Panthro looks like a monkey. Tigra looks decent. Also don't like the change of plot to always being on 3rd earth instead of crashing there, and all the super tech stuff owned by the mutants.

A couple of years ago the re-did He-man, franchise....and pulled it off really well staying faithful to the original characters and including the villans from She-ra it was all done in a well thought out, respectful manner. I'll take a look never know it might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    ....the franchise had so much potential, and we ended up with crap movies.
    Michael Bay should be shot. And then burned just to make sure he's dead. Awful, awful, terrible director of utterly vacuous shite. Probably why he got the gig in the first place

I'd rather watch that Citroen advert. At least it's got a cool Les Rythmes Digitales soundtrack.