Coding

Thread: Coding

Default Coding

Hi,
    I just got into coding, learning HTML and C programming language.
    I thought it would be dull but rewarding but it's loads of fun!
    Can't wait till I touch type like Boris off Goldeneye

Anyone here into this sort of thing?

VBA - daily; Perl, when VBA fails; Python - for some reason never really got into it, probably can if have to; R - trying to figure out whether I like it enough; Java Script - very rusty; HTML -this is not really programing but rather a format description.

I've fiddled quite a bit with HTML, PHP, Java and CSS but I've lost quite a bit due to two things, for one it was a while ago and second, the standards have changed quite extensively so I'm trying to learn it all again now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Webmunki as a day job, so that's PHP, (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, also do application development (VB.net normally), have done ASP & ASP.net, WMI scripting, VBS, Java, plus a load more that escape me currently. Oh and various SQL databases.

I wish I'd learned something more like C++ years ago to be honest, but it was so different to anything else I'd done that I couldn't grasp it - don't have the time or inclination to now!

pete.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Webmunki as a day job, so that's PHP, (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, also do application development (VB.net normally), have done ASP & ASP.net, WMI scripting, VBS, Java, plus a load more that escape me currently. Oh and various SQL databases.

I wish I'd learned something more like C++ years ago to be honest, but it was so different to anything else I'd done that I couldn't grasp it - don't have the time or inclination to now!

pete.
    So it's you I can pester when I get stuck in the code somewhere? ;D
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    So it's you I can pester when I get stuck in the code somewhere? ;D
    Lol, feel free! Currently trying to debug a load of Javascript :s

I remember learning some basic programming back in HS...but that's when computers ran off of Water mills.

Do you do this for fun or for work? It always sounded interesting.

C++, and Objective C, if that's really any different. Coded up and released two Apple iPhone apps, with the hope that it would pay for the computer, some other gadgets, and maybe a little left over for a nice vacation.

One $20 check later, not going to code much any more. :P
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

I do it mostly for fun, not enough pay for the effort I feel I can invest at the moment.

Years ago I used to do it for fun, now as it's such a core part of my job, the "fun" factor has largely vanished (this ought to make more time for painting, but seems to have resulted in that time being used for mundane things like washing...). Sadly there are lots of hacks in the world who have cheapened the business as "Anyone can build a website". Like most things there is money to be made, but generally it's the idea rather than the technical skills that make the money, that and being able to develop faster than the competition can rip your ideas off

@Supervike - Must mention cool avatar btw Reminds me of Starcraft 2 SCV driver or marine - happy days

Well I've ventured into programming of late as a part of my education. Practically I've mostly used Java so far to solve problems but having looked into other languages I don't really think it's very difficult to learn them either, the syntax is not the difficult thing. To master them is another question...

Ack, I think I dream in Matlab these days...methinks I work too much.

I've fiddled quite a bit with HTML, PHP, Java and CSS but I've lost quite a bit due to two things, for one it was a while ago and second, the standards have changed quite extensively so I'm trying to learn it all again now.
    Geez Chrome, you sound like me. Except for CSS, I stopped building websites and managing boards right when CSS was emerging.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post

pete.
    Oh pete you are so in trouble now - SQL database at work. And like Chrome, I'm trying to get back into the web side of things. So now you're going to have two of us after you.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Geez Chrome, you sound like me. Except for CSS, I stopped building websites and managing boards right when CSS was emerging.

Oh pete you are so in trouble now - SQL database at work. And like Chrome, I'm trying to get back into the web side of things. So now you're going to have two of us after you.
    At this rate, Pete's going to have his own little screaming fan mob.

At this rate, Pete's going to have his own little screaming fan mob.
    Yup - he's never going to admit what he does on a public forum ever again.

Pete, if you start running now, Chrome and I will give you a head start. *whispers to Chrome* The hell with that, if he tries to run, tackle him.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Yup - he's never going to admit what he does on a public forum ever again.

Pete, if you start running now, Chrome and I will give you a head start. *whispers to Chrome* The hell with that, if he tries to run, tackle him.
    Lol, in fairness it's quite nice to have odd breaks from the bits I do here. I get bored far too easily so help requests are a form of light relief! Besides I only run when I'm being chased

hehe! I thought being chased was the definition of a fan mob. You're lucky I've been so busy painting I haven't had time to drive you insane.