protecting miniatures for gaming with varnish etc

Thread: protecting miniatures for gaming with varnish etc

Default protecting miniatures for gaming with varnish etc

hello everybody,

My army is pretty much painted up now. I'dd like to varnish it for protection but I'm not quite sure what product to use.
    I've heard good things about citadel purity seal and testors dullcoat. Has anyone got experience with these products or would you recommend other products?

I always use citadel purity seal. whatever you use remember to shake the tin well and test before spraying over all your lovely minis !
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I assume that your army is going to see some hard use at the gaming table? Suggest you spritz with a gloss varnish (say, GW's Hardcoat), then lightly spritz things again with Testors Dullcote (which will give you a flat matt finish). Remember to always shake the can to death, spray in a dry and warm environment, and test your spray first on a test piece.

I just woke up from a dream where I was arguing with someone on this very topic so I guess I'll reply here. Didn't remember the dream until I read this thread. I was arguing against someone who was upset that I coat my minis with a gloss coat then Dulcote them because they said in 500 years there might be some kind of bad effect that messes up the paintwork underneath. I remember I was actually speechless with no reply to that even in my dream...

I've been coating gaming minis for years with a combo of a Krylon gloss topcoat, then once that's dry (can says 12 hours I wait a day or two if I can afford to) I spray another topcoat or two of Testor's Dulcote. Ive got minis from 10 years ago sealed this way that have seen some serious wear and tear and they're still fine.

If I have a showcase piece that I think will be used for gaming I paint the sealer on by hand with a brush on version of Dulcote then I go back after that's dry and selectively apply different finishes by hand with a brush. Certain leathers, types of skin, paving stones or even armor at times will be hit with a light satin finish, things that are wet or shiny like mouths or gems will be hit with a gloss varnish, that sort of thing. All selectively applied to help protect the paintjob against wear and tear and actually (in my humble opinion) enhance the appearance of the mini since those types of selective topcoats can help to give a mini "life".

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm View Post
    I assume that your army is going to see some hard use at the gaming table? Suggest you spritz with a gloss varnish (say, GW's Hardcoat), then lightly spritz things again with Testors Dullcote (which will give you a flat matt finish). Remember to always shake the can to death, spray in a dry and warm environment, and test your spray first on a test piece.
    THIS! Gohkm beat me to it.

Gloss is typically better protection unless you layer (thin and light) the matte. So spraying the matte after the gloss will take care of the shine. I use Dull Cote and only once had a problem with it. It went white on me but it was me being stupid and not taking note of the high humidity. I sprayed the mini right after a thunderstorm and it was a sauna outside. DOH! I just didn't think of it at the time...until I saw the white. I wanted to beat myself in the head with the can when I realized. lol!

i use halfords clear lacquer and then matte it with dullcote
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thanks for your advice.
    I think I'll go for a can of glosscoat and a can of dullcoat. I do need to spray a whole army, (about 150 miniatures) how many cans would I need to accomplish this?

Does anyone know where I can get testors dullcoat and glosscoat in Belgium? I can't find any company exporting testors to continental europe. Or does anyone know a good alternative for testors that is available to Belgium?

Not sure you can find Testor products easily in continental Europe (at least not in France, so I suspect Belgium might be the same). If you have an airbrush, try Liquitex gloss varnish and matt varnish, which are also quite cheap for the volume you get. If not, I've had good results with Tamiya sprays and decent ones with Vallejo's.