War0827 WIP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: War0827 WIP

Default War0827 WIP

So I had started a thread on the painting & conversions tab a couple of days ago and have got some good feedback and opinions on making my model better. I just decided that I might as well throw it up on here as well to get some feedback from others who might not venture into the painting & conversion tab of the forum. And since I'm getting feedback on improving the model, I might as well throw it up as a WIP for all to see and a bit of motivation for me to continue to improve.

Anyways, here are some WIP shots of the Bloodcrusher that I'm currently painting.

Name:  2011-07-17 11-21-16.670.jpg
Views: 4177
Size:  384.4 KB
    Name:  DSC00223.JPG
Views: 942
Size:  98.5 KB

I will be doing some lining around the brass work where it meets the red, but other than that what do you think? Is there enough contrast on the model for judging or do I need more? Sorry about pics....

Hi War,

Its looking like a good start. The front leg looks like it could do with a little more contrast. I'd say deepen the shading at the bottom and add a little up close to the brass work at the top. Also maybe lighten the corners a little heading toward what you have going on at the top of the shin and the hind leg. Esp. that little bit that kicks out on the back side of the leg. More so on the back side of that leg than the front side.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

So is this for GD, or just a project for your army? I want to know before I critique.

Broke n English

The red seems well done, I'm sure there's more contrast in real life as opposed to the pics, looks perfect if you're going for the muted (not too overdone) kind of red

@ MightyChad: This is for GD. It was like a last minute decision to paint it since there was hardly any time left. I started it after I was finished with painting up the 'Heroes of Armageddon' project for Games Day this year. Don't know if you heard about that or not. So I haven't had much time to critique it myself....just painting along and looking for advice to help on the way to finishing and trying to win something this year.

Quote Originally Posted by war0827 View Post
    @ MightyChad: This is for GD. It was like a last minute decision to paint it since there was hardly any time left. I started it after I was finished with painting up the 'Heroes of Armageddon' project for Games Day this year. Don't know if you heard about that or not. So I haven't had much time to critique it myself....just painting along and looking for advice to help on the way to finishing and trying to win something this year.
    I haven't heard anything about this 'Heroes of Armageddon', is that a TEAM NA project, like the Primarchs?

Okay, I think you may need to do work on the scrathes, right now, and this may be my monitor, but right now the highlights under the scratches look white. They need some highlights of brighter reds. Do some lining in the recesses, using black. Add some more color washes on the silver, maybe some purple/green, very thinned down. It may be there, just not showing up. And maybe, and this is personal preference, but add some chips and scrathes that are painted on, basically battle damage. This is a machine/daemon of Khorne.

What sort of basing scheme are you going for? Are these for unit( I see some in background), or 40K, Fantasy Large? I don't want to steer you astray, and that might happen if I don't know what will be riding on it, or what the base will look like. But it is looking great!

Sorry for the blurry pic, but how's the contrast between the gold and red look now...better than before? I've also added some black between the red and the gold around the symbol as well. Should I put some black in the middle of the symbol towards the bottom where there is red? (middle where there are 4 strips of gold going vertical)

Name:  DSC00224.JPG
Views: 796
Size:  91.6 KB

@ MightyChad: I was going to do a squad for 40K, but the amount of work needed will be almost impossible to finish, esp. with my work schedule of working 6 days a week So I might just enter it in 40K large monster category.

I will be highlight the scratches with some red, kind of thinking glazing the white that's there with watered down red to make it into a lighter red/white hue. Some washes have been applied to the metal, but haven't finished it yet as I want to get all the red done and out of the way first.

As for the base, I started to work on it a bit today, but have to go get some more cork from Michael's or something, My plan was to build up the cork into like a mountain side or something where the bloodcrusher is running up right after it was unleashed or something. Maybe some chains or stuff on the ground as if it were snapped off (hint: broken chain under the jaw of the machine). Will get some pics once I start really working on that part.

I know how that is, with work. But fortunately, I have just switched jobs, and can now paint at work, so I have been able to get ahead of schedule.

But it sounds to me like you have got a great plan for this mini, and everything looks awesome. I would suggest changing the face of the Jugger to bone or some color other than red, to help draw some attention.
    Last edited by MightyChad; 07-18-2011 at 03:16 PM.

The 'Heroes of Armageddon' project was spearheaded by John Dickerman and Mike from Santa Cruz Warhammer (blogger) and a bunch of painters collaberating together to build and paint four armies to be given away as a raffle at this years GD. Donations are going to support a foundation called 'Doctors without Borders'. More info can be found here: http://heroesofarmageddon.blogspot.com/

I was thinking of doing some OSL for the eyes to really draw attention to it....you think that'll be enough?

Here are some more pictures. I threw on some watered down hawk turquoise and warlock purple on the metal areas. Then I blended back with boltgun and mithril. Hopefully the pictures show the colors and the transitions. I also black lined (only one side so far) and threw on a mix of blood red + white (about 60-40 ratio) on the edges of the cuts, then i did a fine white line on it to finish it up. I'm thinking the main body and metal areas are almost done unless anybody has something to say about improving it.

Again sorry about the sloppy pics. I'll take much better pics once most of the model is done. Don't really feel like taking out the booth to take pics. If anybody needs any close ups on anything for better critiques, please let me know and I will post it up. Thx.
    Name:  DSC00226.JPG
Views: 754
Size:  93.2 KBName:  DSC00227.JPG
Views: 756
Size:  96.9 KB

I'm a happy camper, that looks nice, both the red and the bronze. Perhaps some slight metallic highlighting on the cuts of the armour?
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Looks great, the only thing I would do now is to highlight the silvers again, and try to get a SENMM effect for them as well, as you have done a great job already on the gold.

As for OSL, I guess that could work, but I would have to see it to be sure.

Looks great. My one thing is that the hawk tourqoise on the metal is a bit bright and really sticks out. I would mix it with black and the reapply it to the shaded areas and then do like Chad says and highlight again as in some places it still looks a bit flat to me. Other than that its really starting look look good.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Has anyone tried using liquitex inks? I bought a couple of the reds because I felt like I needed more contrast since blending blood red + white was turning pink. I tried blending in a mix of blood red + blazing orange + golden yellow, but it was coming out so that the transition from black to red was aweful. So i kind of went back and re-did the red into black and tried my hand at using watered down pyrole red, followed by vivid red orange from liquitex inks.....omg, the transitions make it amazing. I went in and did the black with carbon black to deepen it even more. I'm starting a mix of the vivid red orange with yellow orange azo to bring it up a notch and I think i will be done with it. Pics to come very shortly.....like in 30 minutes or so. You be the judge and tell me if it's better or worse than before.

Here are the pics...FYI the lighting is pretty much the same. I use 2 Ott-lites for painting and pics for WIP so you can clearly see a big difference in color 'pop'.

Let me know what you think. I still have to doing micro highlighting on the edges and finish up the gold areas and also the head. Onto the rider and base from here on out!

Name:  DSC00228.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  102.7 KBName:  DSC00229.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  99.1 KB

What is causing that odd white dust looking stuff on the bottom of some of the plates on the left side of the Jugger? It is right behind the shoulder in the first pic.

It might be the angle that I took the pic at, but I think you're referring to the boltgun and mithril silver highlights on the plates. If you look at the previous pics that I posted you might get a better angle of the metal plates. I haven't touched those since I've painted it and everyone said it looked good so far.

It may just be an artifact of the light/reflection, but just to be sure here is a pic with some bright green arrows to show what I meant.

I think that was just a lighting issue. I ended up using some Liquitex inks to bring out the red a bit and to darken the black. The only problem is that it dries somewhat glossy so when I took the photo it just happened to be a bad angle. It looks totally different in person as I can only get so much in a photo. I will matte varnish it later to dull the gloss down.