New GW sorcerers

Thread: New GW sorcerers

Default New GW sorcerers

Hey folks. I've been painting up the new GW sorcerer models over the last few days, and I'm enjoying it a great deal. They are quality little minis, with a ton of elegance and refined lines and slender details. Plastic single minis are the way forwards perhaps? Certainly a lot better than I expected and I had reasonably high expectations.

I'm quite pleased with these but would value any feedback.

Cheers,
    James

Warriors of Chaos Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord

Warriors of Chaos Sorcerer Lord

I like your paintjob and the sculpts are pretty nice too.
    Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

good work there
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I like tho i would use a different background colour for your pics because its too similar to the minis colours. and larger clearer pics.
    Ace work!

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Wicked looking things, aren't they!

I agree 100%. I just picked up the plastic necromancer and it was by far the cleanest GW mini I have ever put together. Minimal mould lines and perfect fits.

Yeah, they could probably do with a different coloured background. This was one I printed off at work, and I just wasn't able to get another colour done, but I think a few variations are required.

Here's a no frills big blown up shot of the Chaos Sorcerer for your evil eyed scrutiny! (seems the forums resize it to make it fit the screen better, so right click it and view image to see it really big)

Not doing much painting right now because I've really pulled a muscle in my back, but I'm desperate to get back to the necro and dark elf. Perhaps I'll chance it and have a go tomorrow.

Cheers,
    James

Wow, they're great. Good job!

Cheers,
    Sword

Quote Originally Posted by lono View Post
    . Plastic single minis are the way forwards perhaps?
    Not for me.
    While I appreciate the quality of your paintwork on these figures I consider £8.00 for a single plastic figure an insult.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

That seems like a really strange way of thinking to me. The models are easier to construct, they are great sculpts, they have minimal flash and all that sort of annoying stuff, they are more robust once constructed because there's no chance of shattering if dropped, they are more elegant than metal, less chance of miscasts and bubbles than resin. If a material produces a model that's pretty much superior in every way, why would £8 be an insult? It's a bloody bargain in my mind. I'm curious why you would think it, is it purely down to you factoring in the material cost and expecting the mini to be cheaper because of it?

I much prefer plastic for the reasons you said. But I agree with Dragonsreach that £8 is just not reasonable. No matter how good the mini, in the back of my mind Im always thinking; i've been ripped off here big time"!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

My first thought when I saw them was they were sculpted to be cast in plastic. The WoC Sorceror Lord actually 'feels' plastic to the eye. I collect Chaos but won't be touching these. £8 puts you in the ball park of Avatars of War, Banelords, Enigma, Gamezone, Studio McVey, insert-whomever. These are all resin or metal. Perhaps it is merely a question of taste but I prefer all of these to those GW offerings.

The bottom line is that for a similar price there are what I consider superior sculpts with greater (non-trivial) detail. You've painted them very nicely but I know I'd never come close to finishing them.
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by lono View Post
    That seems like a really strange way of thinking to me.
    Quite possibly it is down to my own psychology and response to plastic figures in that with theseI'm not seeing anything which "fires my imagination".

It could also have to do with the fact that for less cost (including postage)I have just some ordered Metal figures from Australia, with to me far more appeal. (1)

Also please realise that this is by no means a "Pop" at your taste, thankfully we all have different things which galvinize us in respect to models otherwise it's be a pretty boring hobby.

(1: I'm not intending to get into a bash GW situation here, but for me I think its fair to say that the "Bloom is definitely off the Rose" from that company.)
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 07-25-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

Meh, they charge less for the wizards than for a resin Cold One. I think these new minis are a fair deal. Making them in plastic but not making them multi-part plastic seems a bit random to me (at least give us 2 heads to choose from!), but it didn't stop me from buying a pair of them. I would've bought the other two but I'm moving soon and there's no way I'll be spending any time with the rest of these figs in the next few weeks anyway.

The Chaos wizards to me are no better or worse than metal ones, they're just a bit different. I'm gonna be converting mine, but then again I convert just about everything I paint (even a 4pt Skeleton of which I'm going to be building ~100 in the long run). The Dark Elf Sorceress to me is actually a lot nicer than the metal ones, which kinda look like balls. Floating on a goofy looking cloud with faces in it and wearing thorny vines as a shirt doesn't quite do it for me, but the new plastic one offers some nice detail (especially the abs, very subtle and realistic). Really reminds me of the Warhammer Online Dark Elf concept art, which is a good thing.

To each his own. Nobody should waste their time (which is sadly a limited non-renewable resource) on something they don't enjoy.
    Please feel free to check out my hobby blog, IMMATERIUM PRESS. Rumors, hobby articles, community building and tournament organization. Many thanks

nice Pjs, but ive got to agree with kalidine - they look plastic and, for the money, there are a lot more characterful pieces out there. last week i bought the complete boxed set of dirz sentinels on ebay for the same price as one sorcerer, $13 (including shipping!). actually, thats 25¢ cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Quite possibly it is down to my own psychology and response to plastic figures in that with theseI'm not seeing anything which "fires my imagination".

It could also have to do with the fact that for less cost (including postage)I have just some ordered Metal figures from Australia, with to me far more appeal. (1)

Also please realise that this is by no means a "Pop" at your taste, thankfully we all have different things which galvinize us in respect to models otherwise it's be a pretty boring hobby.

(1: I'm not intending to get into a bash GW situation here, but for me I think its fair to say that the "Bloom is definitely off the Rose" from that company.)
    Don't worry, I'm not the sort to take offence at a diference of opinion! It wasn't really a question of the appeal of the models, more the fact that you seemed to indicate that plastic miniatures aren't worth the money (any plastic miniatures, not just these particular ones) in your opinion.

I just guess I find it fairly strange that the material can impact the 'value' an individual applies to a model. If you saw some plastic models that you thought looked just as good as any other models you've seen, would you feel the same - that the price is an insult? That was the bit that didn't make sense to me.

In all though, the important thing is I like 'em and I enjoyed painting them. It seems like these are a bit Marmitey. Some really like them, some are more in the hate camp.

I fall between the two I don't mind plastic minis but the trade offs in terms of detail need to be reflected in the price. I haven't painted a plastic mini in the last couple of years that hasn't felt compromised by the production process and that in retrospect I wouldn't have rather bought an equivalent in metal. If these single plastic minis (that don't even have an alternate head option) were £1.99 each, 3 for a fiver, I'd buy. I really quite like the look of that spindly guy (and your paint makes it look lovely Iono) but I cannot justify the price, given my income. I was quite tempted by the Jokero (space Orang-Utan) earlier this year but couldn't justify the cost for a little blob of metal, plastic makes that "no buy" choice even simpler for me

I consider it quite a boon. I've vassilated of late between nostalgia & nerd-rage with regards to GW. Now none of that matters, I can't justify the cost so it doesn't matter whether I love or hate.

Nice to see that you're enthused by them though Iono, keep up the good work

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

i do think that these are a step in the right direction, though, quality wise. the fact that you can even put such a fine paint job on them seems testament to this. plastics 10 years ago would never have been painted to this quality, because they were clearly inferior by virtually every standard. they're definitely making headway. for me its definitely the price that deters me (i like to convert stuff and plastics are great for that). were they comparable in price to figs produced by very small mini companies, it might be a different story.
    Last edited by funnymouth; 07-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.