28mm Cthulhu Noir Cultists WIP

Thread: 28mm Cthulhu Noir Cultists WIP

Default 28mm Cthulhu Noir Cultists WIP

So ive started on these 28mm figs as a primer for doing the Malifaux Wyrd minis. Just finished the flesh on them, any and all comments welcome. I will try and get some better photos done.

Im relatively new to painting at this detail level so I hope i can get some good advice from here.

Thanks for looking.
    Brian

Hi Brian.

I think you need more highlights to make the faces really pop out. IMHO, overexaggerating the highlights/contrast helps tremendously at this scale. Especially on the main character there. If you could hit his nose, forehead, and cheek bones with a lighter flesh color, you'd get more contrast.

Also, there are a few mold lines still present on several of them. Those will stick out like a sore thumb when the mini is painted, best take care of them at this stage.

Thanks supervike, so another highlight. So would i be looking at a very paler skin tone, or even a white drybrush?

As for the mold lines i know but in this instance im ignoring them, in the blind hope they will go away . This being more an excersize in painting than anything else. I appreciate the comment though . So would just just take a file and knife to it now and then reprime? or Strip it and then smooth and reprime the entre bit?

IMO, only the very top highlights of flesh should be pure white. Think of those as the shiniest spots from skin grease. Don't overdo it so your grungy cultists look like they have baby skin...

Quote Originally Posted by count zero99uk View Post
    Thanks supervike, so another highlight. So would i be looking at a very paler skin tone, or even a white drybrush?

As for the mold lines i know but in this instance im ignoring them, in the blind hope they will go away . This being more an excersize in painting than anything else. I appreciate the comment though . So would just just take a file and knife to it now and then reprime? or Strip it and then smooth and reprime the entre bit?
    File the mold lines off the primer-only areas, at least. Priming is easy. The stuff on the face can, to some extent, be disguised with "counter-shading" or disguising the shadow the line casts with highlight colour, if you don't want to repaint everything.

Quote Originally Posted by No Such Agency View Post
    File the mold lines off the primer-only areas, at least. Priming is easy. The stuff on the face can, to some extent, be disguised with "counter-shading" or disguising the shadow the line casts with highlight colour, if you don't want to repaint everything.
    i have to second this
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Ill see what i can do . I suppose its best to get into good habbits now

Well ive filed them down and re primed the lines, next is the robes to do

Was thinking Brown with a Dark Brown hood.

My friend wants me to do yellow for the Cult of Hatsur. Ive heard yellow is horrific for painting though.

Tried to get the yellow robes done right on the first of the cultists, i think it looks pretty good, when there is more natural light ill take another shot, id like any comments/advice on how i can improve.

Thanks for looking.
    Brian

Managed to get another cultist done, maybe Hatsur is sending me his will to get these done to help control the world... hmm.

Anyway i think robe looks lot better on this guy and as i didnt wash the entire thing in yellow dosnt seem as shiny.

As allways id appreciate any constructive comments.

Need to also look up on NMM for the chainsaw blade.

Anyway thanks for looking
    Brian.

Yep, you're on the right track with that robe. I'd say using some very thin brown wash, go over the deeper recesses now. Be sure each layer dries before you add the next. That'll give some more depth to your tone.

What figs are these by the way?

Cthulhu Noir Cultists, i got them from Blackcat Bases in the UK.

Thanks for the comments and ill look at doing the receses.

Still need to find a good cheap camera .

Just finished doing the base coats on the other 3 cultists. I think they look really really good for me. Im starting to see the bonus in practice practice practice.

Anyway, this is just the base coats and first bits of highlighting. Ive yet to wash the creases and do the final highlights.

So heres a sneak peak.

Comments as allways welcomed.

Take care
    Brian.

Right done even more now worked on the belts and finished off the robes. Really pleased with the momentum ive got on these.

As allways id appreciate any comments/critisisms as im trying to get my painting better

Thanks for reading
    Brian
    http://brushwars.wordpress.com/

Woo hoo, almost finished. Really pleased with myself even if they do have googley eyes. But hey they are maniaical cultists.

Woo hoo

Thanks for reading
    Brian

Nice job Brian! I think you did really well with these. You use gesso as a primer right? If you get a chance to try some of the other suggestions, I think it will really help make your painting smoother and it will lay down evenly for you.

You did a wonderful time for your first time with NMM. See technically, I've done this a little bit before - so it was YEARS ago but I have done it. So that's like comparing apples and oranges.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the kind words. There all finished now Waiting for the sun so i can take some nice pics.

Whats the usual way of posting pics on the submision bit one for each cultist or one of the lot together?

Anyway ill see if i get the sun tommorow.

Take care all
    Brian.

Brian,

I don't know too much about painting miniatures specifically (yet), but I do know a little about color theory. Assuming the color isn't being thrown off by the lighting (it probably is), it looks like your yellows are very green-ish. This happens when mixing black with yellow, and can be corrected by using brown instead of black to darken your yellows (assuming you don't want the green-ish tint). You may also be getting some primer showing through. My only other comments would be to make sure and use a large range of tints and shades (dark to light), and use a good number of them for transitions (so it is smooth) or use wet blending. Other than that, keep it up and don't stop practicing!

Well there all done now, what a mad journey its been.

Thanks for the help and pointers i hope you like.

Ive also posted them on the gallery

Take care and thanks for reading.
    Brian

Nicely Done, I like the green colour of the robes.