Golden Demon/Games Day North America (Chicago 2011) aftermath - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84

Thread: Golden Demon/Games Day North America (Chicago 2011) aftermath

  1. #41

    Default

    Oh yes I mean to say, Mr. Wappel, what an INSANE army you had on display. That is without a doubt the most invested and detailed hard work I have ever seen gathered under the same army. That much work with such impressive results is nothing short of dedicated genius. My hat to you good sir!

  2. #42

    Default

    Hey...great lizardmen army....i remember seeing those pics on some other site.

    Could you answer my question above on your grey knights wings?

    Sanjay

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silphid View Post
    .. the fact that the warboss had no way to brake the bike as the only functionning brake is on the powerklaw's side, ...
    On a motorcycle, typically the clutch would be on that side. The front brake is usually on the right-hand lever, and the rear brake is under the right foot. You can also slow down by engine braking. awesome entry. I think the sword went to the right person. Actually I am really surprised that it came down to your model and that nurgle lord. Sure, the nurgle lord had a ton of details... but overall it's pretty uninspiring. It looks like every other nurgle lord that came before except some parts of it stand out as poorly made. For example, that banner looks very flat and thick - neither cloth-like nor aesthetically pleasing. Also, the pattern on the back suggests that the painter didn't know what to paint there, so he just painted a random pattern for the sake of adding freehand.

    The chaos terminator that won silver is also a bad figure IMO. Why is the chaos terminator carrying an ultramarine on his back like that? Why is there an octopus coming out of the chaos marine's butt? It's a bad conversion... just look at the invisible bolter that the ultramarine has in his right hand. Why the judges gave this a silver over that meticulously painted sanguinior is beyond me.
    Last edited by rabblerouser; 08-02-2011 at 10:26 PM.

  4. #44

  5. #45

    Default

    the bronze winner in youngbloods ryan holmes is one of my painting students i taught how to paint. thats my second one whos won a golden demon youngblood in 4 years. so proud of the guy. he just start painting last january. you oughtta see his army. all LED lit.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

    Here is my ranking:

  6. #46

    Default

    It is interesting to watch progress of Collin Engelhardt and Will Kyle, who took gold and silver in the youngblood category, this year. A year ago they took gold and silver in Baltimore in the same category, now, see the difference.
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...e=true&start=6
    Last edited by skeeve; 08-03-2011 at 12:17 AM.

  7. #47

    Default

    WOW what a great time. Congratulations to all the winners as I think there was a lot of really impressive stuff. Congrats again to Vincent! I held his Ork Bike in my hand and didn't even notice some of the hidden detail

    The Demon Lounge also seemed to be a success, but with the common complaint that there was not enough room. Unfortunately those were all the tables that were available to me when we set the lounge up.

    Here is a quick pic of my Nurgle marine. I will be working to get the rest up on www.crookedeye.net very soon.
    Name:  DSC01369a.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  245.4 KB

  8. #48
    Slowest painter ever Beamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I'm glad you posted that pic, Todd. I think with the smaller models, yours especially, the GW photos didn't pick up on how truly ornate the piece is. Really nicely done... Though I think I'm still partial to your lictor model.

  9. #49

    Default

    Congrats to all the CMON Golden Demon winners! Since I am building my new Tomb Kings army now for Adepticon, I guess I am already getting started on Games Day 2012! Speaking of Adepticon, is anyone planning on going?

  10. #50

    Default

    Much congrats to you my master, Vincent! Your third sword!! Also everyone who entered, from what I can see of the pictures on this thread and in the GW coverage, I give you all a big congratulations for a fantastic showing of high quality miniatures.

    I really need to head back into the GD scene..>_<!

    V

  11. #51

    Default

    Congrats to everyone and thanks to everyone who posted photos. Some really nice stuff there.
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    the bronze winner in youngbloods ryan holmes is one of my painting students i taught how to paint. thats my second one whos won a golden demon youngblood in 4 years. so proud of the guy. he just start painting last january. you oughtta see his army. all LED lit.
    Damn I need a teacher. :P
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

  12. #52
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Vincent, that OrK is awesome, I wish I had actually gotten to see it, but that cabinet was blocked all day. Now I see why. And Todd that Marine is crazy good, I am astonished at how great you can make Nurgle look. I used to hate Nurgle, but now I am a fan!

  13. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
    On a motorcycle, typically the clutch would be on that side. The front brake is usually on the right-hand lever, and the rear brake is under the right foot. You can also slow down by engine braking. awesome entry. I think the sword went to the right person. Actually I am really surprised that it came down to your model and that nurgle lord. Sure, the nurgle lord had a ton of details... but overall it's pretty uninspiring. It looks like every other nurgle lord that came before except some parts of it stand out as poorly made. For example, that banner looks very flat and thick - neither cloth-like nor aesthetically pleasing. Also, the pattern on the back suggests that the painter didn't know what to paint there, so he just painted a random pattern for the sake of adding freehand.

    The chaos terminator that won silver is also a bad figure IMO. Why is the chaos terminator carrying an ultramarine on his back like that? Why is there an octopus coming out of the chaos marine's butt? It's a bad conversion... just look at the invisible bolter that the ultramarine has in his right hand. Why the judges gave this a silver over that meticulously painted sanguinior is beyond me.


    Sorry you didn't like the figure, although I too was surprised that the sanguinor didn't take silver. Often the figures have lots of stuff on their trophy racks so I figured why not have a marine impaled on the trophy rack? At the very least it's another layer of armor. Besides, chaos doesn't always seem to be about what makes sense. Actually any back banner in 40k doesn't make sense, it pretty much says "shoot me" and every chainsword in the 40k world has the center support wider than the teeth(look at a real chainsaw, the teeth need to be the widest part). But as a painter I am more interested in looks of rather than practicality. I like Todd's banner and I like chainswords. The tentacles were actually supposed to be coming out of the cape(they are emerging from the center of a chaos symbol) as if the cape itself were alive, and I think I failed in adequately conveying that. My diorama also has the invisible bolter(he he) just a cheap way to save a little time.

    Anyway, nice work everyone. It was nice to talke to everyone I got to talk to .

  14. #54

    Default

    Jim, I'll definitely be at Adepticon 2012 toting some new Lizardmen I'll be using for the fantasy team tournament. Hopefully some of those will be up to quality enough to submit for the crystal brushes.

    Like everyone before has said, GD was a great experience this year and it was great to meet so many of you that I only knew by vague internet avatars or beautiful miniature photographs. I look forward to seeing you all again next year!

  15. #55
    Slowest painter ever Beamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    Jim, I'll definitely be at Adepticon 2012 toting some new Lizardmen I'll be using for the fantasy team tournament. Hopefully some of those will be up to quality enough to submit for the crystal brushes.

    Like everyone before has said, GD was a great experience this year and it was great to meet so many of you that I only knew by vague internet avatars or beautiful miniature photographs. I look forward to seeing you all again next year!
    I'm sorry you and I didn't actually get to meet. I hung around the Daemon Lounge some, but I don't think I was there when you were on your shift. Anyway, I really liked that Dreadknight of yours. Awesome job. Hopefully I'll see you next year.

  16. #56

    Default

    I thought that nurgle marine was amazing. The free hand on the banner was just sick.

    Again, congrats to all the winners and even all the participants who joined or even won a demon. It takes alot to even enter the competition. All I can say is that I'm excited about next year.....Drescher, I'm coming for you next year

    Anyways, here's my one and only entry for this year....
    Name:  GD 2011 mini.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  421.2 KB

  17. #57

    Default

    Very cool! We may be seing each other in the team tourney! We have a very interesting project cooked up for that. I believe there is a planning session for that happening this very weekend. :-)

  18. #58

    Default

    Here are the rest of the pictures I took of my entry. I hope to see other people post thier pictures as well. The GW coverage is good but the resolution is poor if you want to zoom in.Name:  DSC01358.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  157.2 KBName:  DSC01366.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  155.3 KB Name:  DSC01363.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  142.4 KBName:  DSC01374.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  133.5 KBName:  DSC01377.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  137.0 KB
    Last edited by Todd Swanson; 08-03-2011 at 11:48 PM.

  19. #59

    Default

    @Beamo,

    Sorry we didn't get to meet as well. There's always next GD! I was stuck for a good part of the morning in the tarpit-like morass that was the ForgeWorld line, followed shortly by escorting Jeff and Matt around while searching for food of the non-convention type.

    I did seem to melt into the shadows a bit though. Just follow the bellowing Arnold voice and you'll run into either me, Jeff, Matt, or Chad (depending on the amount of practice he gets in).

  20. #60
    Slowest painter ever Beamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    @Beamo,

    Sorry we didn't get to meet as well. There's always next GD! I was stuck for a good part of the morning in the tarpit-like morass that was the ForgeWorld line, followed shortly by escorting Jeff and Matt around while searching for food of the non-convention type.

    I did seem to melt into the shadows a bit though. Just follow the bellowing Arnold voice and you'll run into either me, Jeff, Matt, or Chad (depending on the amount of practice he gets in).
    I hear you, that line was AWFUL.

    Who knows, depending on how many volunteer next year, I might just sit back there with you guys. I used to have a pretty mean Arnold.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->