DemonQUEST 2012
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DemonQUEST 2012

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Default DemonQUEST 2012

Well I took a whole 24 hours off from painting and have already started practicing. I noticed that a lot of the winners had more contrast, so I will be working on that. I chose this Skaven Character, who I cannot remember the name of. Anyway, here is the first shots of the armor, still needs more smoothing and shading.

I will also be working on other projects that take precedence like Jesterz Marines, and Khavor's sculpts.

Now for photos!

you should give the tip of that sword some attention mush. At the risk of setting Kath off im surprised to see you getting back on the competition horse so soon, my recommendation a good bender then rest up for a week, don't get stressed out.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    you should give the tip of that sword some attention mush. At the risk of setting Kath off im surprised to see you getting back on the competition horse so soon, my recommendation a good bender then rest up for a week, don't get stressed out.
    Ha! It's not out of a feel of needing to rush, or any stress. Actually it is just inspiration. After seeing all the beautiful work of the Demon Winners, I just have the need to paint. And yeah, I will fix whatever that is, and try to sharpen the sword. I am sure that after a month it will wear off...

...nah...

I'm with Chad. Seeing all that stuff there made me want to run home and get started on next year.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Cool idea man. Great to see GD inspired you. Will be watching this thread.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Horse?! Where??

Oh - it's you guys. lol! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Great to see the thread going Chad. While I agree with Cass, I understand how it is to come home from events and be inspired, so ride the wave while you can and have fun with it.

I have my GW order on the way...whoo hoo! You've got this thread going and I've got my blog started. It will be interesting to see what the upcoming year brings.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Well I took a whole 24 hours off from painting and have already started practicing. I noticed that a lot of the winners had more contrast, so I will be working on that. I chose this Skaven Character, who I cannot remember the name of. Anyway, here is the first shots of the armor, still needs more smoothing and shading.
    On this particular GD, yes. In last Baltimore, for example, not really. It kinda goes back and forth, although you are probably right considering amazing light in Chicago more contrast is better then less. I suggest, though not to use black and white to achieve said contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Ha! It's not out of a feel of needing to rush, or any stress. Actually it is just inspiration. After seeing all the beautiful work of the Demon Winners, I just have the need to paint. And yeah, I will fix whatever that is, and try to sharpen the sword. I am sure that after a month it will wear off...

...nah...
    I hear you....even after painting non-stop for the last couple of days before entering, I thought that I would be burned out. But instead I came back more energized and ready for next year. I've got thoughts in dark places in my head for what I want to do for next year

As for your mini here, looks really good so far. Like Skeeve said, sometimes the contrast isn't always what the judges are looking for. It will help especially with low light conditions, but most of that is thrown out the window since every model is finely inspected under an OTT light anyway. I guess you never know what the judges will be looking for so you might as well just do what feels right for you. But I will most definately be following this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Noddwyr View Post
    Cool idea man. Great to see GD inspired you. Will be watching this thread.
    Cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Horse?! Where??

I have my GW order on the way...whoo hoo! You've got this thread going and I've got my blog started. It will be interesting to see what the upcoming year brings.
    Ha! Good, I will be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeve View Post
    On this particular GD, yes. In last Baltimore, for example, not really. It kinda goes back and forth, although you are probably right considering amazing light in Chicago more contrast is better then less. I suggest, though not to use black and white to achieve said contrast.
    Thanks, Skeeve, I won't be using black or white, but more of a dark blue/green for shadows. And I agree with your comment about the amazing light in Chicago, it hurt my eyes, every time I entered the room!

Quote Originally Posted by war0827 View Post
    As for your mini here, looks really good so far. Like Skeeve said, sometimes the contrast isn't always what the judges are looking for. It will help especially with low light conditions, but most of that is thrown out the window since every model is finely inspected under an OTT light anyway. I guess you never know what the judges will be looking for so you might as well just do what feels right for you. But I will most definately be following this thread
    I have never been big on adding a lot of higher contrast shading/highlighting, but I will be doing it, at least as practice. But I do feel that it wouldn't hurt for my style to have a bit more contrast, especially on my Chaos Armor, as too much darkness seems to hurt me usually. But we will see. As I said, this is just for practice. Thanks for watching, I hope you will throw some help my way!

Ky, U.S., Earth, Milky Way, Known Univers

This is a fantastic idea Chad! I'll be tuning in for sure. You all say that seeing these fantastic minis on display really got you inspired? I'm getting all inspired just reading about what you all saw!!! If I ever get my chaos Dude dine maybe I'll do the same. I'd really like to get to a demon comp wether I compete or not. Just being there would be good enough for me!
    Last edited by armornv; 08-02-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Chad,

Nice start on the rat. I'll be looking here often over the next year too.

Quote Originally Posted by armornv View Post
    This is a fantastic idea Chad! I'll be tuning in for sure. You all say that seeing these fantastic minis on display really got you inspired? I'm getting all inspired just reading about what you all saw!!! If I ever get my chaos Dude dine maybe I'll do the same. I'd really like to get to a demon comp wether I compete or not. Just being there would be good enough for me!
    I just wish I had some photos, some of the entries were incredible, and the quality of the entries were strong in almost every category. I hope you can make it up there next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewsayer View Post
    Chad,

Nice start on the rat. I'll be looking here often over the next year too.
    Thanks, I hope that when I start the Daemon Prince you will keep an eye here as well.

Now for update 2, I worked on the robes. Didn't do anymore to the armor yet. I tried to add some more colored washes onto the robes, and still need to add some lighter highlighting, but I feel it is a decent start.

Yea I like how the robe came out also. Seems like there is a bit of a yellow. What's your recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    I like the brown robes Chad, nicely done!
    Thanks. Still have some work to do but it is getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by war0827 View Post
    Yea I like how the robe came out also. Seems like there is a bit of a yellow. What's your recipe?
    I used P3 Thornwood Green for a base, then shaded with P3 Coal Black, and did my highlighting by adding P3 Menoth White Base(like bleached bone) to the Green. After all that I did some thin washes of dark red into the recesses, then a glaze of the Thornwood. Now I want to start adding more highlights, to bump up the contrast. I hope all that makes sense.

I was gonna say push the contrast but since you are already planning to do that, I will just say that I think the brown looks really cool. I like the colour.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

looking good dude! I came back ready to paint too. keep it up, my only critique has already been addressed.

Looking good Chad. I really like the way those robes are coming out. I'm going to open my thread up once I get some of the stuff I'm working on to the paint stage.

Mate I'll be happy to throw my 2c worth in when you start the hair pulling exercise that is painting that piece of Forge World resin.

Thanks guys. I started the flesh last night, but ended up focusing on the face. I didn't have any flesh tones so I wasn't able to finish the face/snout. I will be working on that tonight. I still need to bump up the contrast, but I like where this is headed. The pic isn't the best in the world, but it is raining now and I can't take better photos.

Last edited by MightyChad; 08-04-2011 at 10:52 AM.