DemonQUEST 2012 - Page 4
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: DemonQUEST 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I doubt I will get to update for a while. School started and this program is gonna kill my hobby time. I am gonna focus on getting stuff done for everyone else, then myself. But I doubt that I will be able to get much done for 2012. Which is sad, because I have some ideas! Anyway, stay tuned, and I will update as often as possible. It sucks, too, because I feel like I am really heading to the next level with my painting skill.
    I know school comes first but you really want to keep riding that painting wave if at all possible. Even if you can only paint for 20 minutes a day - keep trying to do so. Even a short time will keep you moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    I know school comes first but you really want to keep riding that painting wave if at all possible. Even if you can only paint for 20 minutes a day - keep trying to do so. Even a short time will keep you moving forward.
    This is something I need to keep in mind as well... 20 or 30 minutes can add up over time. It's easy to get lost in other things and then 6 months goes by and you haven't done anything for yourself - which happens to me every year! ><
    My Rank -

The skin is much better, she is looking great. The eyes are getting close, her right eye looks like it has a mite bit of palsy though. However, they are such a huge improvement over what they were I feel like it might be better to just leave it rather than screw it up. I also like the hair, the temptation is always to bump up the contrast there but I feel like the way it is now will look great on the finished model.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Well, I am still alive, for now. School is crushing me, but look, I finished the Elf, well as much as I can.

I am also starting this guy for eBay:

I will try to update more, if school allows.

Yay Chad! Looking good! Sorry school is such a killer. Hope you get to paint more.

Awww, now the rest of my elfs will look like crap with her in the middle of it...

Looks great Chad, can't wait to pick this up !

Yay Chad! Looking good! Sorry school is such a killer. Hope you get to paint more.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIRA View Post
    Awww, now the rest of my elfs will look like crap with her in the middle of it...

Looks great Chad, can't wait to pick this up !
    The rest of your Elves are just going to look unpainted, and that is with or without her. And BTW, I know a guy who would paint them for money. Or to work of a debt.

Good to see you return to CMON. He was going to let me paint his corsairs but it hasn't happened yet...... Which is good because I'm doing a commission of some Khador stuff for Dustin.

Quote Originally Posted by sm51498 View Post
    Good to see you return to CMON. He was going to let me paint his corsairs but it hasn't happened yet...... Which is good because I'm doing a commission of some Khador stuff for Dustin.
    Nice, you making any money off that deal?

The rest of your Elves are just going to look unpainted, and that is with or without her. And BTW, I know a guy who would paint them for money. Or to work of a debt.
    Haha, now that I started my Chaos Marine army (still trying to decide between a Blog or WIP on here) but I do still want my Dark Elfes I may take you up on that offer... We can talk about it Thursday if you are still going to come to town.

/thread jacking
    Last edited by TheIRA; 09-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Good to see you got some work in Chad! I feel your pain... school is killing me right now as well ><
    My Rank -

making a little, I'm not charging much though. I want to get my work out there to maybe drum up some more interest.

Blog Entries

This is sound advice, every time I have sent messages to sculpting industry pros who are working for the likes of Marvel, Hasbro etc all say the same thing - practice EVERY day. When I was in my 20's I visited a local artist who was extremely skilled - both in sculpture and painting (predominantly oils), looking around his studio I was pretty amazed. When I asked him for some advice and tips on improving, his advice was, wait for it...practice everyday lol.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Quote Originally Posted by TheIRA View Post
    Haha, now that I started my Chaos Marine army (still trying to decide between a Blog or WIP on here) but I do still want my Dark Elfes I may take you up on that offer... We can talk about it Thursday if you are still going to come to town.

/thread jacking
    I will be there. Do a WIP, you will get more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Good to see you got some work in Chad! I feel your pain... school is killing me right now as well ><
    Ha, we should start a club, I will be trying to paint more, even if it is only a few minutes here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by sm51498 View Post
    making a little, I'm not charging much though. I want to get my work out there to maybe drum up some more interest.
    I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    This is sound advice, every time I have sent messages to sculpting industry pros who are working for the likes of Marvel, Hasbro etc all say the same thing - practice EVERY day. When I was in my 20's I visited a local artist who was extremely skilled - both in sculpture and painting (predominantly oils), looking around his studio I was pretty amazed. When I asked him for some advice and tips on improving, his advice was, wait for it...practice everyday lol.

dfb
    Well, that is my plan, like I said if I only have 10 minutes, I will do what I can.
    Like today, after prepping the mini, and spraying, I have put in about 5 minutes of work. Here is the progress on the face. Not as smooth as I would have liked, but I can get it there. Still, not bad for 5 minutes, most of that was spent trying to paint the iris in the eyes, which I never got right. So here is a huge photo so you can see all the flaws!
    Last edited by MightyChad; 09-27-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Chad, you've seen the size of the photos in my thread, that was purely accidental, I normally take them close to actual size for a realistic view, but now I see the large photos - as ugly as they sometimes may be - as a useful tool so you know where to tidy up and you can see the stray paint marks and other mistakes. I'll save the smaller photos for the final gallery shots now I think! The hunter is a nice model - enjoy and I look forward to more photos...

dfb

My Gallery Here

Chad, you've seen the size of the photos in my thread, that was purely accidental, I normally take them close to actual size for a realistic view, but now I see the large photos - as ugly as they sometimes may be - as a useful tool so you know where to tidy up and you can see the stray paint marks and other mistakes. I'll save the smaller photos for the final gallery shots now I think! The hunter is a nice model - enjoy and I look forward to more photos...

dfb
    It helps me to see where I have lost smoothness, or just plain screwed up. One thing you can say about me is that I am not afraid to post a huge photo that will make my work look atrocious! That way when I post the pics that are actual size it will look like I knew what I was doing!

Hear, hear! I did the same for my Stormraven conversion. huge pics so it became very clear where some more greenstuff and sanding was needed.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

stevey293

Over on miniwargaming when i do the deathmatches i have a habit of huge pictures totally screws me over. But i agree really usefull tool for seeing where could be better. Its also why i post on here.

Blog Entries

It helps me to see where I have lost smoothness, or just plain screwed up. One thing you can say about me is that I am not afraid to post a huge photo that will make my work look atrocious! That way when I post the pics that are actual size it will look like I knew what I was doing!
    Yep, kudos to everyone who is not afraid to put up giant photos for sure. As I said it is a great tool for looking for mistakes, so those who are worried about how it looks to everyone else should review that approach a little. The human eye is no match for these kind of close up photos,I spotted loads of areas that needed tidying up on my stuff. I may not have noticed these things had I posted 450/500 pixel wide photos!!

I remember Alexi Z (Natalya Melnik) posting some close up shots of something and all the strokes were pretty much perfect and it still looked brilliant. Another goal for me to aim for I suppose lol.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Hear, hear! I did the same for my Stormraven conversion. huge pics so it became very clear where some more greenstuff and sanding was needed.
    You mean that Landraider that you ruined?

Quote Originally Posted by stevey293 View Post
    Over on miniwargaming when i do the deathmatches i have a habit of huge pictures totally screws me over. But i agree really usefull tool for seeing where could be better. Its also why i post on here.
    Justs lets me know where I stand!

Yep, kudos to everyone who is not afraid to put up giant photos for sure. As I said it is a great tool for looking for mistakes, so those who are worried about how it looks to everyone else should review that approach a little. The human eye is no match for these kind of close up photos,I spotted loads of areas that needed tidying up on my stuff. I may not have noticed these things had I posted 450/500 pixel wide photos!!

I remember Alexi Z (Natalya Melnik) posting some close up shots of something and all the strokes were pretty much perfect and it still looked brilliant. Another goal for me to aim for I suppose lol.

dfb
    Well that is just one of the huge list of differences between me and Alexi Z.

I have a lot of paperwork to do tonight, for clinicals at the hospital tomorrow. If I get it done, I may try to do a bit more work on the Ogre, if not I will do it tomorrow. But I doubt I will post an update tonight, either way.

Resized Photo:
    Last edited by MightyChad; 09-28-2011 at 06:36 PM.