DemonQUEST 2012 - Page 16
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 396

Thread: DemonQUEST 2012

  1. #301
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    I really like the use of roots between the two main rock ledges and the mini is awesome. I do agree with the above experts that the sculpey edges of the rock are not at the same level as the rest though. Now, bring on the snow
    Yeah, next time I'll not do rocks like that, I need to find a better way. Anyway, most of the edges of the top stones will be covered in ice and snow, to help hide the craptastic sculpey! I think the Weather report said snow around Tuesday . I have crushed glass for the snow, and my test piece came out great, so I am really looking forward to it. Snow will be done in two goes one without the mini, then when he is done and varnished (brush on, of course), I will attach him to the base and finish the snow.
    Last edited by MightyChad; 07-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.

  2. #302

    Default

    Looking forward to seeing this in person in 3 weeks
    My Rank -

  3. #303
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this in person in 3 weeks
    Thanks, man, I am really starting to look forward to it, not that the finish line is in site. I cannot wait to see what you bring. And several others as well, it's gonna be a big year, with a lot of top talent, I think I'm in over my head!

    Anyway, no photo updates today, I did start the icicles, and will hopefully have a photo tomorrow. We shall see, but I gotta say, the base looks great, even without the ice being finished. I am going to try to get some skulls painted up for the base, and start the snow. But either way, pics tomorrow. I am hoping that this guy will be done this week, hopefully. But I will not try to start a new entry, I may just paint something from another company, just because it has been sitting there, begging for some brush love.

  4. #304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Thanks, man, I am really starting to look forward to it, not that the finish line is in site. I cannot wait to see what you bring. And several others as well, it's gonna be a big year, with a lot of top talent, I think I'm in over my head!

    Anyway, no photo updates today, I did start the icicles, and will hopefully have a photo tomorrow. We shall see, but I gotta say, the base looks great, even without the ice being finished. I am going to try to get some skulls painted up for the base, and start the snow. But either way, pics tomorrow. I am hoping that this guy will be done this week, hopefully. But I will not try to start a new entry, I may just paint something from another company, just because it has been sitting there, begging for some brush love.
    Idk apparently Mathieu fontaine and alex nemes can't make it through customs and Jeff Lybbert has gone off the deep end!
    Who knows Chad, maybe besides Jeff here, you and I can be top dogs this year!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

  5. #305
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    Idk apparently Mathieu fontaine and alex nemes can't make it through customs and Jeff Lybbert has gone off the deep end!
    Who knows Chad, maybe besides Jeff here, you and I can be top dogs this year!
    That would be nice, but I am bringing a great painter with me, and I know that at least 7 or 8 others will be there, maybe more. So I think it will be a good year, with some good talent. Maybe you can be considered in this "talent", I will know in 3 weeks!

  6. #306

    Default

    That's a relief. I constantly find myself looking at last years entries and finding great disappointment in some of the winners, ala 40k single's silver winner.

    I'd love to see gd be like the old days where it truly was the best painters from around the globe!

    And I'd be honoured to be considered in the 'talent" but as things are going I'll be lucky to make a bronze!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

  7. #307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    That's a relief. I constantly find myself looking at last years entries and finding great disappointment in some of the winners, ala 40k single's silver winner.

    I'd love to see gd be like the old days where it truly was the best painters from around the globe!

    And I'd be honoured to be considered in the 'talent" but as things are going I'll be lucky to make a bronze!
    I think part of the problem is that with contests like Crystal Brush popping up, there's a lot less incentive to enter GD. You have to use their stuff exclusively, and at best you get a picture in their horribly overpriced magazine.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

    #1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.



  8. #308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I think part of the problem is that with contests like Crystal Brush popping up, there's a lot less incentive to enter GD. You have to use their stuff exclusively, and at best you get a picture in their horribly overpriced magazine.
    wD is just horrible full stop, but that is another topic.

    I am not a competition or pro painter, but golden deamon seems to be in decline when it comes to quality and truly WOW paintjobs. Part of it I think is the minis themselves and part of it is the really great painters have fallen for other competition and mini companies. The only part of GW that seems to be truly putting out painters minis is FW.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1





  9. #309
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    That's a relief. I constantly find myself looking at last years entries and finding great disappointment in some of the winners, ala 40k single's silver winner.

    I'd love to see gd be like the old days where it truly was the best painters from around the globe!

    And I'd be honoured to be considered in the 'talent" but as things are going I'll be lucky to make a bronze!
    That is how I feel, I am lucky to get a bronze. Sometimes I am lucky to get First Cut.

    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I think part of the problem is that with contests like Crystal Brush popping up, there's a lot less incentive to enter GD. You have to use their stuff exclusively, and at best you get a picture in their horribly overpriced magazine.
    Truth. But I still want some Demons!

    Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    wD is just horrible full stop, but that is another topic.

    I am not a competition or pro painter, but golden deamon seems to be in decline when it comes to quality and truly WOW paintjobs. Part of it I think is the minis themselves and part of it is the really great painters have fallen for other competition and mini companies. The only part of GW that seems to be truly putting out painters minis is FW.
    I think the quality is like anything else, it is ht or miss. Some categories are great, some are not. SOme may have 1 or 2 awesome entries, and 10 above average entries. But I hope it increases over time, but I think that any US/NA GD is always going to be looked down upon in the world, which I think is unfair, but it is what we have to look forward to after the photos show up. It may be true with some categories, or certain entries, but there are some entries across the board that are very high quality. But I agree, I think it is partly the minis, partly the draw of other companies, and just burnout. And yes, FW is the only part of GW that is making minis for painters.

  10. #310

    Default

    I don't think you'll have any problems with first cut with the Khorne prince!

    I'm thinking as long as we all finish our whfb large, we should all make cut!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

  11. #311
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    I don't think you'll have any problems with first cut with the Khorne prince!

    I'm thinking as long as we all finish our whfb large, we should all make cut!
    Ha! We will see what happens. What are you entering into that category?

  12. #312

    Default

    I'll be taking the crypt horror/vargheist combo.
    The base is going to be interesting. I have the colour scheme picked but no base!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

  13. #313
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    I'll be taking the crypt horror/vargheist combo.
    The base is going to be interesting. I have the colour scheme picked but no base!
    I uderstand completely, but lucky for you there are a ton of basing experts in the forums, Skells and WillDorling, and now Kath.

  14. #314

    Default

    True that. I just have to find some more inspiration. I intend to avoid water effects and resin as it can go wrong so quickly and with the deadlines approaching for us all, I can't afford the time of repairing a ruined base.
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

  15. #315
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    True that. I just have to find some more inspiration. I intend to avoid water effects and resin as it can go wrong so quickly and with the deadlines approaching for us all, I can't afford the time of repairing a ruined base.
    Yep, all true. I think my ice is basically done now, so time for snow.

  16. #316

    Default

    Nice! Pics are a must! :P
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

  17. #317
    Cat-herder Extraordinaire Meph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Leuven, Belgium
    Posts
    4,081
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Aye, indeed, show us some snoooo!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

  18. #318
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    Nice! Pics are a must! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Aye, indeed, show us some snoooo!
    I will try to get some pics today*, but they will not have snow, yet. I plan to do the snow tomorrow, and I need to add a bit more ice, and some obligatory skulls, then attach the grass. I have to plan the snow around when my friends kids will not be at my house, as crushed glass isn't good for children. Apparently. I am not sure, I think I lived off crushed grass and lead when I was a kid. And slept on a bed of asbestos.

    *These pics will not be great quality, unle it stops raining and the sun decides to show it face.
    Last edited by MightyChad; 07-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.

  19. #319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I uderstand completely, but lucky for you there are a ton of basing experts in the forums, Skells and WillDorling, and now Kath.
    lol! Thank you very much!

    Quote Originally Posted by William T. View Post
    True that. I just have to find some more inspiration. I intend to avoid water effects and resin as it can go wrong so quickly and with the deadlines approaching for us all, I can't afford the time of repairing a ruined base.
    Water effects need not be as scary as you might think. It's all preparation. If you take the extra steps first it makes things soooo much easier. Second, go watch the Woodland Scenics videos over and over again. They show you exactly how to apply the water so you're not guessing. Third cork is your friend. It's easy to find and work with and if you screw it up, rather than try to save it, it's cheap enough (and faster) to chuck it and start over.

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I will try to get some pics today*, but they will not have snow, yet. I plan to do the snow tomorrow, and I need to add a bit more ice, and some obligatory skulls, then attach the grass. I have to plan the snow around when my friends kids will not be at my house, as crushed glass isn't good for children. Apparently. I am not sure, I think I lived off crushed grass and lead when I was a kid. And slept on a bed of asbestos.

    *These pics will not be great quality, unle it stops raining and the sun decides to show it face.
    heh - you too? It's still raining here and supposed to continue all week. As for the glass, if you are in a room and can keep the kids out long enough to apply then clean up, you should be fine. I save all of my plastic blisters and mix the stuff in one of those. I have the base on a paper plate so clean up is just a matter of tossing the plate - no real mess. I also have a set of old measuring spoons I re-purposed to hobby use so I can mix stuff like this and pigments, etc. without the mess of pouring or dumping stuff out.

    Anyway, can't wait to see pics!!!!

  20. #320
    Brushlicker MightyChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Yep, still raining, so crappy indoor shots from the LGS. I will try to get real photos tomorrow.

    First, I worked on the blade of the axe:

    Just ice right now, some snow later this weekend:




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->