DemonQUEST 2012 - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: DemonQUEST 2012

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

I will keep that in mind next time, Mar.

I actually like the banner, it's not out of the realms of possibility that a creature of Chaos wouldn't have a banner holder like that! For me its not just about the painting and modelling but if I can see a story in the model, and I can definately see this guy crashing round some barren wastes causing terror to the children of the indigenous population as the elders tell stories of the horror on the ice!

One thing that I think the banner needs though, and thats some chains tethering it to a part of the model, perhaps just below the shoulders. That would maybe make a bit more sense than having it anchored to one part of the model so it looks like it was more "attached?"

Great job though, I really like it!

Hi,

I've been out of the loop so long I missed most of this. Just been catching up.

Firstly Good luck at GD Chad.

He's a solid piece for sure. But the banner attachment does look odd and the way you have it placed (Slightly off the vertical to our right) makes the view from the front look just a little wrong, I think straight up in line with the back spikes or slightly to our left aligned with the center line of the head would make more sense to my eye.

There also seems to be a little difference in the depth of the paintwork on the banner and on the figure. I get a definite sense of global light and shade from the figure that seems to be missing from the banner. Don't get me wrong the freehand as usual is really well painted but it all seems to be one light level top to bottom. It could do with a bit of a gradient in the colours overall especially where it curves around and points more toward the ground.

You made a real effort on the base. Kudos for that. As others have said the super sculpey rocks don't look very natural, its hidden to a degree in the pics by the rest of the cool work you've done but they still don't quite look right. Also some of the icicles throw my eye. There are two or three that bend in defiance of gravity that break the effect to my eye.

Onto the good stuff. The Axe looks A plus as does the bone, the skin and the horns. I really like the way you have painted in the play of light across the figure. I'd give him an 8 without the banner for sure. With it a 7.5 I think as it just doesn't quite fit to my eye as it is. A different attachment method and a little more work on tying the banner lighting in with the figure lighting though and its an 8+.

Edit: I have been painting. I'll get some pics of the progress on the Blood Thirster up as soon as I can borrow my mates good camera again.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 07-25-2012 at 10:46 PM.

I haven't been able to get good photos yet, but this thread paid off. I got Bronze, anda lot of folks seemed to like the mini. And to all the pople who spoke to me saturday with words of encouragement, Thank You. And to those of you on this forum that have helped me for the past year, Thanks. Now I am going to take a break for a couple of days, finish some exams, then start back on DemonQUEST 2013.

Well you did it mate, bloody well done. Silver next year, then Gold.........
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Well you did it mate, bloody well done. Silver next year, then Gold.........
    We shall see, 10 Ball. Thanks. Here's hoping!

Ive always liked bronze - gold is so 'tacky' imo
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Haha I wonder if Chad has copyrighted Demonquest yet...
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Think I should/could? Hmmm....

10 balls Demon Quest
    10 balls Demon Quests
    10 balls Quest for a Demon
    10 balls Demons Quest
    10 balls Quests for Demons
    10 balls quest for a gold demon
    "
    . Andyg

congratulations on the demon nice to see the two together.......just to make sure you werent bullshipping you know lol
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

It was a good piece and looked great in person. Just remember the only real difference between Gold and Bronze is judges personal tastes, maybe next year I will actually get another demon too .
    Visit my Hobby webstore at http://battleroadhobbies.com/ . Also I am available for commission just shoot me a pm.

Congrats and well deserved on the win. I am bummed i did not see him in the case when i went through the "high speed" line ;(

Congrats buddy!!
    Now I have to convince all of you to enter at crystal brush next year!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    congratulations on the demon nice to see the two together.......just to make sure you werent bullshipping you know lol
    I smell Photoshop! Chad you got some skills~~

Hehe for real though, good job and congratz on the trophy!
    My Rank -

I must say, I have watched this since it's inception and even I feel a sense of accomplishment having seen this go full circle! Awesomely painted miniature, an award well deserved sir!

Gratz bud, glad to see all your hard work pay off.

Congrats! I had seen this thread and was hoping to check it out in person at Games Day....never made it through the line to check out what was in the cases. I missed seeing the awards for your category; I won my first (silver) Demon in WFB Regiment and was getting congratulated in the crowd. Look forward to seeing what you work on for next year, and maybe I'll get to see it!

Congratz Chad, Great payoff for all the effort you put in mate.

Congratulations on the Demon, very well deserved. Seeing this in person is a million times more inspiring than on the web.
    Surely your best work. I thought the whole piece (including the banner) worked rather well and had a great flow to it.

On a side note, does anybody know if they announced where GD 2013 will be? Never too early to start.