TrystanGST's Golden Demon NA 2012 WIPs - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's Golden Demon NA 2012 WIPs

Just for you Cass.

There's so much hidden detail on this thing. Like all the poor souls trapped in the pipes and hoses.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Wow...you have your work cut out for you! Keep going! We want pics!
    -Aureo

Wow! That's a big un!!! I can't wait to see it painted Trys!

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by khavor View Post
    You do realize the sabotage has already begun don't you. By talking you into the diorama they've successfully distracted you from your other entries...
    It's pronouced sabo-TADGE, not sabo-TAHGE. I have tried to find a clip of it being pronounced, but have failed. But maybe Futurama fans will recognize it. Anyway, that is how our group describes any sort of painting tips from another member. Especially where Golden Demon is concerned.

Anyway, that thing is massive, can't wait to see it or the ZombieTerrorDragoGheist come together.

Haha I lose either way.

The Terrorgeist would be going head to head against my own Necroshpinx that Elly is painting, and rumor has it he's working on a diorama of his own for next year....
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Haha I lose either way.

The Terrorgeist would be going head to head against my own Necroshpinx that Elly is painting, and rumor has it he's working on a diorama of his own for next year....
    But if you beat him you will have 2 awesome centerpiece minis, and gloating rights.

ZOMG Progress!

I'd keep rolling, but I'm going to wait and see what Elly has to say in person before commiting to this.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Trystan, not to be a rainer on your parade, but is the brass scorpion really a good candidate for what you have in mind? My thinking is as follows; weight, are you going to be able to pin it into a cool diving/running/breaking though a wall pose without having pins all over the place? two; how pose able is the model, are you going to have to cut it up to get into the pose? three; size. is it (in the cool pose) going to be inside the max requirements for the diorama catogory. and four; and this is the one im not sure about. is it going to visually overbear the tech marine? I guess I'm saying after all is said and done with the brick flying in the air and beasties busting though walls are you going to really see the bike and rider, hence "reading" the whole story of the piece?
    I wonder if something more the size of a defiler instead wouldn't be the way to go? save the scorpion for the forgeworld best or monster vehicle cats?
    Just my two cents, looking forward to seeing more.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Mud - I'm glad you brought this stuff up, especially now!

As for posable, it's very accomodating in this regard. The legs are on ball joints, so you can pose them however you like. It might need some pinning though.

Size restirctions? I didn't know there were any. I'm going to have to look into that.

As for being visually overwhelming, that's something that I think we will figure out as it starts to get fleshed out. I hope.

Thanks!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Dude, so far that looks great from seeing the pics! I'm impressed
    My Rank -

BTW I found the dimensions... I didn't realize they had them either... 12"x12"x12"

And for Open it looks like 18"x18"x18"
    Last edited by Elly3438; 08-19-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    BTW I found the dimensions... I didn't realize they had them either... 12"x12"x12"

And for Open it looks like 18"x18"x18"
    Wow! I just had to dig like mad through the 2011 PDF Rules...talk about buried!

Good job Mud! I think you just saved Trystan a lot of heartache. It would have been terrible to get down to the wire and all of a sudden - WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S TOO BIG???

12" is pushing it. 18" is definitely doable. Hmm. This will take some further study.

+1 Internets to Mud.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That bone is looking good Trys. Hope you can still make the dio work.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

I'll wait for a minute for you to stop snickering.

O.K. Are we all calm now? The diorama base is going to be a teardrop shape, with the rider at the narrow end and the scorpion at the fat end. This should help keep the rider from getting overwhelmed by the scenery. The scorpion will be barging into the entrance (exit?) of the cave, causing untold mayhem as the jetbike shoots out over the open water. I'm thinking of adding a back "wall" to the cave to help with the sense of enclosure.

One other idea I have is that the techmarine has something - be it a chalice, tome, artefact of some type - that he is scarpering off with. That would help explain why the scorpion is after him, although it would have to be a focal point, and therefore painted brightly or in such a way as to draw attention.

I have also started thinking about paint. I am thinking the scorpion in black and bone, with some kind of runes or other detail over the armor. The techmarine would be White Scars. My only thought right now is whether or not Rogue Trader era techmarines were all red or not. I'll check when I get home.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Or you could go with ancient ruins instead. If it looks too man-made, you have to explain it, visually. Why is there a wall and a cave? Reference your first pic when you got the idea, you had a castle barbican I believe. Make it an arch and ancient crumbly ruins and WHAM! Instead headache for ole scorp. Our technmarine could be swiping an old ancient tome. You can make it large with gold and jewels so people spot it easily but still small enough to carry.

As a writer, it's the story that comes to my mind first, write the story for your techmarine and why he's there. Why is the scorp there? A guardian placed by the powers of....what? What is he protecting? Why does techmarine want to risk life and limb to get it? Will it save the universe or bring him a hefty profit or both? Anyway, flesh out the story around the diorama first and it becomes easier to tell it visually.

Good points Kath. Perhaps my explanation was lacking.

I am leaning towards a cave, simply because a wall like I originally posted, standing by itself, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
    Whereas having the rider flying out of the entrance to a cave (with suitably evil glyphs around the entrance or something) tells more of a story without needing a whole city wall.
    A cave like this:

Then you can have the scorpion just inside, breaking out. By wall I meant cave wall, to help give the feeling of indoors vs outdoors.

Of course you can do the evil temple gate route too, similar to the first picture.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Ah, okay I got ya. Yeah, my definition of ruins was like the Indiana Jones movie with Sean Connery. Petra was what came to mind for me - basically ancient ruins in a cave. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Ah, okay I got ya. Yeah, my definition of ruins was like the Indiana Jones movie with Sean Connery. Petra was what came to mind for me - basically ancient ruins in a cave. lol!
    I had completely forgotten about that!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I had completely forgotten about that!
    Well, see, I'm good for something! Reminding you about old movies and locations. lol!

But now you've got me in diorama mode but it's not for GD but Hasslefree. I don't think my column base will fit in Single and if I go diorama, I'd better have a little kick to it.

Would anyone hate me if I derailed the white lion chariot and used it for bitz? I stumbled over a pic on the net. I'll save it for my thread.
    Last edited by kathrynloch; 08-20-2011 at 12:37 AM.