Rip tv

Thread: Rip tv

Default Rip tv

Yes after a long HOT day yesterday, got home and my £600 Samsung 40" TV is dead, dead as a dead thing :-(
    So me and the family are all huddled around a 17" portable with no cash to purchase a new beasty.

Ohhhhhhhhh woe is me!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

How long did you have it mate, I am investing in a nice 3d flatscreen next year come bonus time, still have an old two feet thick one lol.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Just over 3 years :-(
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

not long then, I have had two tvs with triple that lifespan. i wonder if it is common for a flatscreen to die so soon. Guess I better google that before I spend a pile of money on one.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

LCD or plasma?

I know the plasmas run hotter to start with.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

LCD, just wont power up
    "
    . Andyg

Lcd's are questionable in my opinion plasma's the only way to go as long as you white wash em regular they are brill I,ve a 65" Lg great bit o kit highly recommend em.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

think of the positive side, you can get a nice new big one now!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Hate that! Sucks especially if it's just out of warranty.

I'm not sure if it's economical but there's a decent chance it is fixable, since it's likely (90%+) the motherboard or power board that's gone and they're available as spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1
    i wonder if it is common for a flatscreen to die so soon.
    Not especially, but the sudden failure to power up is usually the problem.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Yes after a long HOT day yesterday, got home and my £600 Samsung 40" TV is dead, dead as a dead thing :-(
    So me and the family are all huddled around a 17" portable with no cash to purchase a new beasty.

Ohhhhhhhhh woe is me!
    Did you know under the slaes of goods act, in teh UK you actually have up to 6 years after purchase?

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

Here is a link to the sales of goods act.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...page38311.html

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/word...ty-appliances/

This should help.

Also depending what you want a tv for is depending whether you should get plasma or lcd.

General rules. under 32 inch LCD
    Gaming mostly LCD
    watching films/tv Plasma.

I personally wouldn't get a 3D TV, this will phase out very soon, just as soon as Hollywood realise their 3D films are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    Lcd's are questionable in my opinion plasma's the only way to go as long as you white wash em regular they are brill I,ve a 65" Lg great bit o kit highly recommend em.
    I'm curious, what do you mean by white wash?
    My Rank -

most plasma tvs have a function on the control panel which stops image burn, plasma is hot and say you leave an image paused for any length of time on the screen it will leave an after image the whitewash function runs the screen but totally blank you just leave it for an hour or so and it cleans yer pixels there are i think 3 or 4 ways to clean it just cant name them all off the top of my head hold up ill take a look go to option then factory mode then mine gives me 4 ISM's normal, orbiter, inversion and whitewash. its just a way of cleaning ghost images from the screen and helps stop you burning pixels.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Hate that! Sucks especially if it's just out of warranty.

I'm not sure if it's economical but there's a decent chance it is fixable, since it's likely (90%+) the motherboard or power board that's gone and they're available as spare parts.

Not especially, but the sudden failure to power up is usually the problem.

Einion
    The TV lives! Einion you are correct my friend, looks like it was the power board and will cost £80 to fix. YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
    "
    . Andyg

You might be able to save yourself some cash and fix it yourself, it's actually not that tough especially if you're just replacing the entire board and can find one on ebay etc. The monitor I'm using right now crapped out two years ago because they used cheap caps on the power board...$3 worth of new (and better) caps, and an hour later all was back to normal, hardest part was just getting the damn case open to get at the guts. Replacing the entire board would have been even easier, just one or two connectors, no soldering involved.

It's a common Samsung LCD thing, after roughly three and a half years their condensators burn and they just stand there doing a clicking sound instead of fully powering up. Every repairshop knows about this and on some models Samsung has even extended their guarantee towards exactly this. It happened to me almost a year ago so I talked to a few friends who work at repairshops and they all said the same thing. Luckily it was darn cheap to fix and I had to wait as long as almost a full two hours for it to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

I'm glad I mentioned it! Sure beats the hell out of forking out for an entirely new TV.

Einion