The Scale of the Universe.
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: The Scale of the Universe.

  1. #1

    Default The Scale of the Universe.


  2. #2

    Default

    Good stuff Jim!
    Supervike: "There's no purpose to this, besides something to do..."

  3. #3
    Supervike: "There's no purpose to this, besides something to do..."

  4. #4

    Default

    So does all that fill you with hope and wonder, or a sense of futility?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    So does all that fill you with hope and wonder, or a sense of futility?
    Depends whether I'm pissed or sober....but, generally...

    Sheer awe, it fills me with sheer awe and wonder that we live in such a fantastic playground
    Supervike: "There's no purpose to this, besides something to do..."

  6. #6

    Default

    "Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules - and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress."

    Ranson K. Fern
    (Kurt Vonnegut)

  7. #7

    Default

    This sort of thing really fascinates me, but I'm afraid my feeble brain just can't keep up.

    There is a television show, called THROUGH THE WORMHOLE, hosted by Morgan Freeman.

    I like to watch it, but about 4 minutes in, I'm so lost in the concepts I just concentrate on the pictures.

    The scale (either up or down) is really unfathomable to me. I'm just content knowing stuff gets really small or really big.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    So does all that fill you with hope and wonder, or a sense of futility?
    yes.................
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

  9. #9

    Default

    Ah, the Total Perspective Vortex question. I may not respond quite the way Zaphod Beeblebrox did, but I do think the sheer vastness of the cosmos doesn't imply any futility for humankind (or any non-humans who are out there). It just IS, and we can either get on with lives that mean something to us, or shake our fists jealously at the sky because we're really not the centre of a small universe built just for us.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No Such Agency View Post
    Ah, the Total Perspective Vortex question. I may not respond quite the way Zaphod Beeblebrox did, but I do think the sheer vastness of the cosmos doesn't imply any futility for humankind (or any non-humans who are out there). It just IS, and we can either get on with lives that mean something to us, or shake our fists jealously at the sky because we're really not the centre of a small universe built just for us.
    Interesting take. I likey!

  11. #11
    Brushlicker dogfacedboy uk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    1,718
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Great find, I like it.

    dfb


    My Gallery Here

    CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finn17 View Post
    Depends whether I'm pissed or sober....but, generally...

    Sheer awe, it fills me with sheer awe and wonder that we live in such a fantastic playground
    So, could we conclude that generally you are pissed or sober?

  13. #13
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,305
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finn17 View Post
    Depends whether I'm pissed or sober....but, generally...

    Sheer awe, it fills me with sheer awe and wonder that we live in such a fantastic playground
    Quote Originally Posted by Astorderire View Post
    So, could we conclude that generally you are pissed or sober?
    Name:  Sheer Awe.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  54.0 KB......................


    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  14. #14

    Default

    Great!
    I should have thought there was a second layer...
    Many thanks for the much needed cultural update!
    Last edited by Astorderire; 08-18-2011 at 04:42 AM.

  15. #15
    Brushlicker noneedforaname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!
    Posts
    1,332
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Isn't the scale of the universe 1:1? I'm confused now

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noneedforaname View Post
    Isn't the scale of the universe 1:1? I'm confused now
    I thought it was 'Heroic 28mm'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->