Site redesign feedback
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Site redesign feedback

Default Site redesign feedback

I just thought I'd start a thread about the new site design. What do you all like? Dislike?

The new commenting mechanism for minis is great. No extra window popping up, just type it in and pick a score! Overall the new "look" is no worse, it's appealing but I didn't mind it before either. A big step up from my memories of the site in 2002 at any rate

I'm less keen about the front "portal" page. It seems like you have to scroll pretty far down to see anything that isn't shop-related. I know this site has to make money, but many of us do pay to be here. Granted, we don't pay much, but still.

Also, I've just noticed the title of each mini gets a bit lost in the clutter. Rather than having it shown three times on the page in normal type, perhaps it could stand out more, either through a larger typeface or some other means?
    Last edited by No Such Agency; 08-17-2011 at 07:47 AM.

i REALLY dont like the white background. nor the set up for the way to view minis. it was much easier to just click on a persons page before and see the list of minis in the thumbnails. another thing to consider. a white background ends up detracting the eye from the photograph. so one must take photos to fit into that motif. idk i mean the front page isnt an issue. but the way to look at minis is giving me a very bad feeling. it just seems too jumbled to look at. :/
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

I've found some bugs :
    - when I display all my pictures, it also shows the minis from painters names begining with 'Juan'
    - on the top artists page, when you click the next page button, it doesn't displays the next page but the next artist (page 1 shows artists ranked from 1 to 50, page 2 shows 2 to 51)
    - the scripts http://www.coolminiornot.com/rank.php?name=XXXX and http://www.coolminiornot.com/score.php?id=XXX don't work
    - I think the ranking displayed on the 'My pictures' page is wrong

Swapping the columns on the front page, I don't get it. Where before all the mini/shop updates where on the left, and all the auctions were in the middle. I don't see an advantage in swapping them. Unless it's like a supermarket redesign, where unsuspecting punters find themselves wandering down aisle3 for the baked beans they expect only to find it's now the snacks aisle and succumb to impulse buying.

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    i REALLY dont like the white background. nor the set up for the way to view minis. it was much easier to just click on a persons page before and see the list of minis in the thumbnails. another thing to consider. a white background ends up detracting the eye from the photograph. so one must take photos to fit into that motif. idk i mean the front page isnt an issue. but the way to look at minis is giving me a very bad feeling. it just seems too jumbled to look at. :/
    I'll second this. It's hard for me to make a judgement on the rest of the site I'm so distracted by the white background.

Zach
    www.crookedeye.net

I agree with the white as well - it gives the site an "unfinished" look to it and it's hard to pick out stuff. Also as stated above, the commenting on minis is much better now!
    My Rank -

i do agree on that one elly. keep the commenting the way it is now. its actually quite nice. the rest just seems like an odd fit.

Here is my ranking:

Lost in the desert ChemicalFencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedEye View Post
    I'll second this. It's hard for me to make a judgement on the rest of the site I'm so distracted by the white background.

Zach
    www.crookedeye.net
    White background? I have a black background in both Chrome and IE 9.

My problem on the new site is on the 'New On Coolminiornot' box on the top left, the description box is rapidly 'jumping' up and down when I am using Chrome.

CF

Um, it just doesn't really make sense to me. The site's homepage had evolved with loads of extras over time, and they had made it utterly bloated and pretty ugly.

What's been changed... It's as though no consideration has been given to actually prioritising and streamlining that content (eg, make it so that just a headline and snippet is shown for the latest few news stories, and you have to click through to a news section to get more).

The homepage should be a portal - a route of entry that has a few clean feature links to get to various types of extra content. That content should be one level down, but nope, it's still a mass of content, in your face, too much, no refinement, and much as I hate to say it, seemingly no thought beyond "let's make this look a little different and make sure there's a shit load of money making taking prominence"

It looks cleaner from a style sheet point of view, but the way the content's handled. It's not good and it's most certainly not well thought out.

AAAAAND

The site is called Cool Mini or Not, the main draw used to be to look at and vote on if a mini looks cool. I still come here to look at the toy soldiers people put online. But the way to get to them is still a barely noticable tiny button that says 'random image' in the top right. It's just so mixed up in what it's trying to achieve...

Well, it's not actually. I know they want to make money, and I understand it, but perhaps they could be a little smarter in how they go about it and get more balance across the site.

I like a lot of the changes, mostly the functionality has been inproved a lot, but I seriously can´t stand the White Background to view Miniatures... Horrible, really... Not a good way to see Minis... Should stay Black... Otherwise, WELL DONE, Cmon team... Keep up the Great work (but please reconsider the White Background...)...
    "I think we will see a lot of such diorams in the future because Pandora box is oped, interest is huge and forum butthurt is just great." --- Decoy

Simply Wonderful......

---
    Visit us at http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ ...

I've found a minor bug in minis description - new system ignores new line symbols and each description looks like a long string of words.

Had to get used to new background color and home site redesign, I think those are minor changes, neither in + nor -

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cexwish View Post
    I like a lot of the changes, mostly the functionality has been inproved a lot, but I seriously can´t stand the White Background to view Miniatures... Horrible, really... Not a good way to see Minis... Should stay Black... Otherwise, WELL DONE, Cmon team... Keep up the Great work (but please reconsider the White Background...)...
    +1

The new look and feel is a huge improvement. Sure there are some minor bugs, but I am sure the CMON team will fix it in no time ... and hopefully provide a dark background at least for the box showing the miniatures instead of the light grey

Blog Entries

I like the gallery thumbnail display much better than the old one, commenting is great, I dont find the background thing an issue personally, but then I'm old and blind anyway lol. As to the homepage, yes it looks cluttered, but I dont mind that. I want to see the latest minis available in the shop, the featured auction and some news as the first thing when I hit the cmon shortcut I have and thats what's being displayed so I am happy. Its easy enough to jump to all the other sections from the links at the top so I am happy there, in fact I'm still happy with the whole site. I am sure changes will be made as peoples thoughts are taken into consideration, so long as those are positive CMON will only ever get better - good job Chern and co. I think the gallery section was looking a little dated, glad to see the new version!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

As a man of advancing age, I have to say I fear all change.

Blog Entries

Looks like the code for the ranking in the signature is broken as well! I just went to my account to have a look and retried it but it didn't work. Also it says I am rank 300 and something which I wasn't yesterday, it was 500 and something ? I haven't uploaded anything new for a while, (although look out in a few weeks time lol) so thats a mistake somewhere.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    As a man of advancing age, I have to say I fear all change.
    and with advancing age comes saggier boobs. deny change!!!! embrace silicone!

Here is my ranking:

It takes a lot longer to load pages and therfore it is worse, sometimes I have even timedout from the page....
    Hopefully you can find why it takes more time now and fix thoose issues. I really like the commenting part to pictures.

Blog Entries

Just found another issue. I went to view the Top Artists section, and aside from the ranking system not being displayed, there is a bug with the page scroll. If you click on page 2 all it will do is add one more artist to the bottom of the page instead of displaying a completely new page. All the artists on page one will still display with the addition of 1 more artist if you click on page 2 for example!!!!

dfb

My Gallery Here

I'd like to add my voice to the "change the background for the mini photos to black", or a darker colour, at least. I think the blocks of grey on the main page/minis pages look a bit scrappy. I do think that the comments for the minis pics are much improved, and that generally changing the site around a bit is a good thing.

Also, if I click on the icon for "search images" (just above the random image button) and enter a search string, when I click the search button or hit enter, I get a screen that says "In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist." Not sure what that means, but it smells of not-done-that-bit-yet.

Anyway, teething troubles and grey background issues aside, the new look is okey dokey

Default New site

First thoughts are if it ain't broke don't fix it. It looks like this is change for changes sake. Also not working as well - clicking through to a mini doesn't now open a new tab and when you try to go back a page I get a page has expired note. On an aesthetic point I hate the light background and the grid display is aweful compared to the previous list. My advice would be don't change it for the sake of it and if you are going to change it don't make it worse! I'll be using the 'nostalgic / better' site until it's taken down.