Site redesign feedback - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Site redesign feedback

Keep the bug reports coming, all of them are being worked on and should be addressed in short order.
    I like it firm and fruity!

I've jumped 5000 places in the ranking......now thats one big scary bug!

I appreciate the aisles/columns being put back. Looks nicer, the frontpage, couldn't appreciate it before what with the jarring nature of seeing the washing powder aisle where I was expecting to see biscuits. The relative % spacing looks kinder, prettier and more professional than the old.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalFencer View Post
    My problem on the new site is on the 'New On Coolminiornot' box on the top left, the description box is rapidly 'jumping' up and down when I am using Chrome.
    CF
    I've got the same problem using firefox :S

All in all, a nice redesign.
    (Somehow, everything looks bigger)
    Just a couple of things i'd like to say:

Bring back the black gallery.

Make the gallery thumbs larger, make rows of 5.
    Bigger thumbs, easier to spot an interesting mini, looks a bit cleaner and calmer.
    Plus, I should'nt think this is too hard :P

Make the "new" and "ending" auction pictures larger.
    Same reasons as above.

Also, smileys in the artist's description look a bit huge :P

And I've always thought (and the new design has somehow made this worse) that the relevant information is a bit scattered and boring.
    The galley for example, "8,3(8,2)" to me says: "this is what this mini scored", with the bracketed score being some sort of filtered result.
    The text "score (registered)" above it is surplus.
    For clarities sake, you could have a "mouse-over" pop-up with a one or two second delay or something, explaining what everything is exactly.

The same goes for the new comments below a mini.
    Name, date, vote etc should be closer together.
    I'm more interested in the comment itself, so I want to get the "boring" stuff over with as soon as possible (no offence).

Just my 5 bucks (it's become a bit more than cents :P)

As i said, I like the redesign.
    "The purpose of life is to be remembered, the meaning of life is to remember those that came before you." -Mourner

My personal motto when it comes to painting:
    "Try everything, and find what works for you."

My personal motto when it comes to life:
    "You can do anything you like, as long as you do it right."

Default New format

I can not stand the new "browse gallery" format. Honestly...it's horrible. So bad that I might not be browsing on here as much if it stays the same. I understand the intention of trying to continually improve...but this simply doesn't work for me. Can you add a "classic" view option?
    Stellin23

I have to concur. The old format was easier on the eyes.

Wow, look what I started

Quote Originally Posted by lono View Post
    The site is called Cool Mini or Not, the main draw used to be to look at and vote on if a mini looks cool. I still come here to look at the toy soldiers people put online. But the way to get to them is still a barely noticable tiny button that says 'random image' in the top right.
    I couldn't agree more!

Also, another vote here for making the gallery view a little less crammed. Dozens of images side by side makes it hard to decide which ones to look more closely at. Visual overload

You can access the old site at http://old.coolminiornot.com. What is so awful about being able to show 50, 100 and 200 entries at the same time though? You are being presented with the same amount of information with a much better use of a widescreen monitor format. Is the issue the text below etc?

That might be it. It just seems really cluttered. Or maybe it's just a change to get used to over time. I do notice that with all the info below the thumbnails, my username gets truncated to "No Such". I don't know if this happens to anyone else.

I agree that it's good to be able to see more thumbnails than before, without hitting the "Next" link so many times.

There's nothing wrong with making a greater volume of data available to a user, but the presentation of said data is quite hard to interpret. In the old format, with the pics and ratings and painter names and what-not laid out in a line, it was easy to read 'across'.

In the new format, everything tossed at the user in a big shotgun blast - sort of like the wall of CCTV banks used for surveillance, with a different picture in every cell. It's confusing, and quite cluttered.

If there was a way to use the old format, but still allow the display of greater volumes of pics, I reckon the UI would be friendlier.

I actually really like the new redesign, but I, too am experiencing bugs:

1. Link to My Pictures (http://www.coolminiornot.com/userpics) goes nowhere - I get a blank page
    2. Link to Favorites (http://www.coolminiornot.com/favourites/MamaGeek) takes me to some other random user's favorites list
    Visit me on the web at MamaGeekMinis.com!

Just tried it on my cellphone. It's even worse!
    Stellin23

Don't worry about mobile for now, we'll be doing a mobile version of the site soon. In the mean time, hit up the old site if you want to do small format browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chern Ann View Post
    You can access the old site at http://old.coolminiornot.com. What is so awful about being able to show 50, 100 and 200 entries at the same time though? You are being presented with the same amount of information with a much better use of a widescreen monitor format. Is the issue the text below etc?
    Actually, there is not the same amount of info. One key piece of info for me is: what have I rated this mini in the past? As others have said, I have been a follower here since the beginning, and I use it to look at ... Cool Minis! If the browse gallery, a key indicator of if I have seen something before is showing me what I rated the mini before. If no rating, then I know it something new to go look at. I cannot see that either on the browse page or on the individual picture page.

Other general comments:

1) I'm not a fan of the white background, but I don't really hate it either. Should still allow users to select their own backgrounds. Maybe it's in there bbut I have not looked yet.

2) The "<" and ">" links at the top of the image pages: what do they do? They acted differently in different situations. What I'd like them to do is go back and forth in the ordered list of images I last browsed from the browse page. I've wanted this for ages, and saw the arrows and thought it was there, but I guess not. For example, say I search for all minis from Privateer Press with "warlock" in the title, rating 6-8. It gives me a list. Click on one, then the arrows should send me to the next or previous one in the list, not some random mini based on my recent store searches or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by myke View Post
    Other general comments:

1) I'm not a fan of the white background, but I don't really hate it either. Should still allow users to select their own backgrounds. Maybe it's in there bbut I have not looked yet.

2) The "<" and ">" links at the top of the image pages: what do they do? They acted differently in different situations. What I'd like them to do is go back and forth in the ordered list of images I last browsed from the browse page. I've wanted this for ages, and saw the arrows and thought it was there, but I guess not. For example, say I search for all minis from Privateer Press with "warlock" in the title, rating 6-8. It gives me a list. Click on one, then the arrows should send me to the next or previous one in the list, not some random mini based on my recent store searches or whatever
    That's actually a super good suggestion. Right now the next just brings up another random image, and the back goes back to the previous image you viewed (and the one after that, and after that etc). Anyone else in love with the current implementation? That was added in simply because some folk were complaining they didn't want to vote but wanted to see the next random fig.

Quote Originally Posted by Chern Ann View Post
    That's actually a super good suggestion. Right now the next just brings up another random image, and the back goes back to the previous image you viewed (and the one after that, and after that etc). Anyone else in love with the current implementation? That was added in simply because some folk were complaining they didn't want to vote but wanted to see the next random fig.
    You could even keep the current functionality by having the Browse page have an "Order By" option of "random". That way not specifying any params but random order lets you random-walk through all images. Or, you can random walk through a subset.

"Hmmm, feel like looking at Warjacks tonight..."

I don't know if this is a new thing with the upgrade or something that's with the auction widget and has been going on but it's showing the current bid price on my auction as the BIN price which is not correct. The bid price should be much, much lower.

I like the old website design better.

I just don't like this new look, white background is not good idea for gallery.