if they ask me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if they ask me

the_kid

Default if they ask me

when people ask me how i can love to paint minis. i say that when i paint minis i enter a different world. a world with creatures i cant explain, with inspiration flowing through my brain. when i paint i enter a world of ideas. a world that no one can enter unless they truly love the art of mini painting.
    does any1 else feel this way when they paint?

Noooo, not exactly, but then people don\'t really ask how I can love painting minis, but then again, I don\'t tell them.

I see it as sort of a legacy thing. Through my own effort I\'ve left something beautiful or interesting (hopefully) behind. And when I\'m gone - this paint job will still exist. It\'s not Cistine Chapel or anything but somewhere someone will go, \"he did that? Whoah!\"

It\'s quite rewarding to create something and to leave it behind.

I feel similarly ... painting minis is my release from the real world. When I\'m painting it\'s for a gaming world or a diorama ... in each case I\'m trying to create the elements of a story and am thinking about that story the entire time I\'m working on the project.

That world is a very fun place to be ... much more so than my \"day job.\" ;)

jim

I completely understand what you mean about \"entering a different world\', that is exactly why I do paint.

I am very passionate about my little world, and I find it theraputic and rewarding all at the same time.

Yeah, I think I kind of feel a little like this. I mean, sometimes I can sorta\' \"get lost\" when I sit and look at some of my minis. But not so much when I actually paint them. When I paint I often find myself thinking about nothing, which I like. It\'s a very immediate focus--kinda\' meditative--and I find that being immediately focused and in the present without distraction feels \"healthy\" for my head.

Jarrett Lee

I don\'t enter a different world......it\'s simply a superb outlet for my need to be creative and to create.

Jarrett

Yeah, I don\'t have the \'different reality\' experience either. Like Jarrett said, when the fingers itch it\'s time to sit down and be creative.

Creativity, concentration, perfection, fantasy, relaxation,...

These are some of the keywords I can use to explain why I love to paint.

I mostly just paint minis.
    (Slightly adapted from the \"Adventurers!\" comic ;))

Really, you guys are.... interesting. Other world? Outlet for creativity? Inspiration flowing through your brain? Either you\'re all a big bunch o\' Hippies or I just paint the wrong way :D

I like painting minis too, don\'t get me wrong. But.... I just sit down and paint. No other world or something, just... uh... switch off the rest. You know, just concentrate on the mini.

I know I will not leave a legacy behind. After I die, people will forget me wuite soon and they will probably not look at my minis either. But what do I care, I\'m dead, I have other problems! :P

Sex Drugs and Violence is what I\'m thinking about when painting mini\'s!lol

U4-Welcome

Message original : AlexDaKid
    Sex Drugs and Violence is what I\'m thinking about when painting mini\'s!lol
    Sex Drugs and Violence is what you\'re always thinking about :rolleyes:lollollol.

You\'ve got my number U4lollollol

I agree with the \"other world\" group. When I paint, anything but especially minis, it is an escape into another world. For a time, I exist in the world of whatever I\'m painting. I also feel this way when I\'m reading a good book, a feeling I don\'t get from movies.
    I also like Corvus\' reply. In particular, the combination of two words: concentration & relaxation. When things are flowing just right, that\'s exactly how I feel. I\'m concentrating to the maximum, yet totally relaxed. I think that\'s part of what puts me in the \"other world\" zone.

It is just that taking a lump of oddly shaped pewter and bring it to life is such a rush...

I\'m a perfectionist. This might be why so many of my minis get started then the paint stripped over and over again, which might be the reason I have nothing posted on here yet, but I know so much about painting minis.

Back on topic, I think painting minis appeals to my being a perfectionist because 1) they\'re so much smaller and it makes me concentrate and 2) it gives me yet another creative out since, unlike the rest of my family, I can\'t play a musical instrument.

Originally posted by dauber22I also like Corvus\' reply. In particular, the combination of two words: concentration & relaxation. When things are flowing just right, that\'s exactly how I feel. I\'m concentrating to the maximum, yet totally relaxed. I think that\'s part of what puts me in the \"other world\" zone.
    Yeah, I know the feeling. Concentrating on a difficult paintjob, with some nice music in the background, can create a bit of an out-of-this-world feeling :)

Default Why do i sculpt, modify and paint miniatures?

this one\'s easy...

because life isn\'t nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion.

I\'m one of the people to whom mini painting is like meditation - painting clears my mind like a good hike or a ride on the beach, which makes it an ideal thing to do on the cold, rainy days, at the same time it gives me a way of expressing myself creatively.

Aryanun:
    unlike the rest of my family, I can\'t play a musical instrument.
    There is of course the finest instrument the human voice!

Back on thread; I used to paint because it was cheaper than a therapist, but I\'m not so sure now! :D
    I find that the ability to both concentrate and relax at the same time allows me to break the stress and hassle of the work environment. I can use what little skill I have in painting to create something and feel a sense of accomplishment.

Unlike work where no-one is ever satisfied no matter how hard you try to meet their needs. (Bloody IT users!) :mad::P