My first 40k style mini WIP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first 40k style mini WIP

Default My first 40k style mini WIP

I decided to go ahead and start a different thread for this one because it has nothing to do with horses or even WFB.

(I think I just heard someone fall over in shock.)

This is my first 40k style mini. From Scribor it's the Archangel.

I know it's hideous - not the mini - the mini is a gorgeous sculpt - my attempt to paint him is hideous.

I absolutely knew not to attempt to paint him using NMM but I kept thinking how can I get any better if I don't even try to do this?

I have no idea what possessed me to try this - should have stuck with metallics.

I'm not only completely out of my element with the NMM, it's not a horse.

I know nothing about 40k. My experience extends to playing the old video game Space Hulk and laughing uproariously over the way they did the voiceovers, "Lucien!" (with great urgency) "Behind you," (said with the utmost calm.) That was so funny!

I would say at least it has wings, I've been on a wing kick lately I guess, but I'm not even planning to use pigments on him - at all. Plus they're bloody huge! How in the world am I going to paint them? Aside from white?

Right now, I kinda feel like that demon's head he's holding...I've lost it...it's done rolled off my shoulders and I think someone else picked it up.

Yup - definitely went off the deep end over here. lol!

Well it's a good thing you started with such a simple model then!

Despite his holding the head of a daemon he is not neccesarily a good guy himself so the door is open to a 'fallen angel' type of chap which means you can go whichever way you like with the wings and overall tone of the model. Ermm so I should mention that "Fallen Angels" is a proper noun within the game - it is the mythylogical notion I am meaning.

I was about to say you could always sneak horses in to the backgrounds of WIP shots but I see you are a step ahead of me there hehe

I don't konw where you are going ot take the armour from here so I don't really want to comment. Much . Unless you are taking the armour really high, I'm keen to see how dark you go with darklining/shading the filigree work and edges. Kinda dark or chock full of darkerness hmmm
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

So you eventually deciced to try out a W40K model? I ilke it so far, curious to see how you're gonna do the armor in NMM style. The red is somewhat shiny, did you use a semi-gloss paint?

Ok i like the blood red armor. I would go for a badass angel look, black wings. As for the golden bits on the armor, maybe a very dark bronze og a dark steel would look good, then give him a very pale skin color...at least thats what i would do

And welcome to the 40k goodness...check out the Krieg cavalry from forgeworld..40k on horseback

Hey - watching with interest - good start

I wouldn't be too down on yourself. NMM takes a lot of practice. From what I can see from the pics, is that the NMM has no contrast so it looks kinda flat with no definition. To me, it looks like too much midtone everywhere and not enough darks to make the lighter areas pop. Also, just try and think where it would be shiniest, like the top of the thigh, and use white sparingly for "shine points." Hope that makes some sense
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidane View Post
    Well it's a good thing you started with such a simple model then!

Despite his holding the head of a daemon he is not neccesarily a good guy himself so the door is open to a 'fallen angel' type of chap which means you can go whichever way you like with the wings and overall tone of the model. Ermm so I should mention that "Fallen Angels" is a proper noun within the game - it is the mythylogical notion I am meaning.

I was about to say you could always sneak horses in to the backgrounds of WIP shots but I see you are a step ahead of me there hehe

I don't konw where you are going ot take the armour from here so I don't really want to comment. Much . Unless you are taking the armour really high, I'm keen to see how dark you go with darklining/shading the filigree work and edges. Kinda dark or chock full of darkerness hmmm
    Thank you Kalidane! Yes, nothing like starting off with something simple huh? lol! The hardest part of the NMM is the shading for me. I know how I want the filagree to look - it's just how I do I do it that's the problem. I like the fallen angel idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
    So you eventually deciced to try out a W40K model? I ilke it so far, curious to see how you're gonna do the armor in NMM style. The red is somewhat shiny, did you use a semi-gloss paint?
    No, regular Vallejo Game color - I just used inks to get it to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Ok i like the blood red armor. I would go for a badass angel look, black wings. As for the golden bits on the armor, maybe a very dark bronze og a dark steel would look good, then give him a very pale skin color...at least thats what i would do

And welcome to the 40k goodness...check out the Krieg cavalry from forgeworld..40k on horseback
    Ooooh! Krieg cavalry? Definitely have to check that out! I want to try for the dark gold with the NMM but I just don't know if I can do it. I like the black wings idea tho.

Quote Originally Posted by TomasP View Post
    Hey - watching with interest - good start
    Hi Tomas! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    I wouldn't be too down on yourself. NMM takes a lot of practice. From what I can see from the pics, is that the NMM has no contrast so it looks kinda flat with no definition. To me, it looks like too much midtone everywhere and not enough darks to make the lighter areas pop. Also, just try and think where it would be shiniest, like the top of the thigh, and use white sparingly for "shine points." Hope that makes some sense
    HI Elly! Thank you very much! The biggest issue I have with NMM and a lot of my painting in general is over-highlighting. I actually add too much in the highlighting area and end up flattening it out. I did that with the Roaming Knight Rock base and here I am doing it again! There are a couple of spots - very tiny - where I actually got it to work properly. But maybe if I go back over it with the my darkest brown color and try giving it more contrast again. The filigree confuses the issue as well. What if I just worry about the base metal first, get the contrast right on that, then worry about getting the filligree right? Maybe?

Thanks again everyone!

BTW - that horse in the background is actually helping me. The wings are so huge the mini is top heavy and tips over. I need to get another base for it. So until I do, horsie is holding him up. lol!

sit down Kath put your head between yer legs and take a couple of deep breaths.....i am....there all better just a bit of minor shock. having gotten over my innitial surprise i have to say bra...voe looks great at the moment..hmmm just had a thought must go check see if skell's alright another fantasist convertin to the space marines...bound to have knocked him bandy Lol.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

%&¤#436#

spejs majine overload

lol
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

hmmm...just did a search on the forgeworld site and lol! The horsies have respirators. hahaha! Okay, if I go that direction, I see some serious CM'ing in my future. Time to invent some new horse breathing gear.

Cass - I think you're right - Skel did get knocked bandy.

Ky, U.S., Earth, Milky Way, Known Univers

I normally don't have a WHOLE lot of interest in 40K-ish stuff but I'd sure like to try that one after seeing yours! Looks like a right nice effort so far!

Quote Originally Posted by armornv View Post
    I normally don't have a WHOLE lot of interest in 40K-ish stuff but I'd sure like to try that one after seeing yours! Looks like a right nice effort so far!
    Thanks armor! Yeah, if it's a sculpt I like, I don't care what it is, I'm going to get it. Like I got that Anubis mini by Kabuki models. I don't know what game it's for or what it does, but it's a cool figure so I got it. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    Thanks armor! Yeah, if it's a sculpt I like, I don't care what it is, I'm going to get it. Like I got that Anubis mini by Kabuki models. I don't know what game it's for or what it does, but it's a cool figure so I got it. lol!
    Haha I love that guy too. It's on my wishlist LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Haha I love that guy too. It's on my wishlist LOL
    Well, the sculpt is fantastic the tiny details are not. He's almost flown through the window a couple of times. It's one of the most difficult miniatures I've painted yet which is why I haven't posted pics of him. Some of the smaller detail points aren't as defined on the sculpt which makes them extremely difficult to pick out and paint unless I have it at the perfect angle. That makes it rough on me because substantial angle changes mean I can't brace my arms. And when my arms are unsupported, the hand tremors take over and that brush starts moving like the needle on a Richter Scale during a 9.0.

I don't its hideous. red is one of the hard colors to paint.
    also I think I have to buy that mini now. Ohh and Yaa your working on a 40K mini

I cant wait to see how you finish it!

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

I have to ask...what is the reason for doing the golden armor nmm if you aren't very experienced in it? Why not get some simpler minis to train on first.

But i think you are being to hard on yourself, i like it so far

meh

A hard thing is hard until you've done it. Baby steps are for babies. Nailing this mini will be a frustrating job but very rewarding when done and lots will be learned along the way.

Pretty sure that Maker's Mark diluted with ginger ale and fresh lime is prescribed for tremours. If it doesn't work you probably still had a good evening...
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

meh

A hard thing is hard until you've done it. Baby steps are for babies. Nailing this mini will be a frustrating job but very rewarding when done and lots will be learned along the way.

Pretty sure that Maker's Mark diluted with ginger ale and fresh lime is prescribed for tremours. If it doesn't work you probably still had a good evening...
    that reminds me..Rugby starts soon..ENNNgaLaaaaaNND!
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

lol cassar!

tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Quote Originally Posted by Tee999 View Post
    I don't its hideous. red is one of the hard colors to paint.
    also I think I have to buy that mini now. Ohh and Yaa your working on a 40K mini

I cant wait to see how you finish it!

Tee
    Thanks Tee! I hope you do get it. You know the saying, misery loves company. lol! Seriously, it would be fun - a team paint kinda.

I have to ask...what is the reason for doing the golden armor nmm if you aren't very experienced in it? Why not get some simpler minis to train on first.

But i think you are being to hard on yourself, i like it so far
    Well, I'm just a glutton for punishment. I have to have a sculpt that I really, really like to push myself through the stuff I really, really hate. If I'm just so-so on a sculpt and it starts giving me problems, odds are good that I'll put it down and not finish it. But if it's a sculpt I love, I'll push through the tough issues. As Kalidane says, it can be frustrating but also very rewarding.

meh

You hit the nail on the head Kalidane! I'm the type of person that the more challenging it is, the more I'm game for it. Otherwise I get bored until something else grabs my attention. A little ADHD yes - Oh look a chicken! Name:  de_blue_hen_chicken.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  26.4 KB

Uh...where was I? Sorry about that. Maker's Mark eh? Usually a glass of wine for me but I may give the Maker's Mark a try...if I can find it. Although while drinking, I only have a short window of effective painting time between the hand tremors easing up and buzzed painting.

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    that reminds me..Rugby starts soon..ENNNgaLaaaaaNND!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee999 View Post
    lol cassar!

tee
    hahaha! Okay, I'll root for England just for you Cass. \

PS - I almost forgot. I have been working on him. One thing I noticed. I start rushing from time to time but especially when I've been working one color and I'm getting close to the end with that particular color. I caught myself just sorta swiping it. Instead of allowing myself to do that, the minute I realize I'm doing it, I put the mini down and work on something else. Hopefully I can break myself of that habit.
    Last edited by kathrynloch; 08-26-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: geez I can't type worth a darn and I haven't even started drinking yet!