Super Glue and Baking Soda = Instant Cement!

Thread: Super Glue and Baking Soda = Instant Cement!

Default Super Glue and Baking Soda = Instant Cement!

I've mentioned this several times in other threads and other folks have tried it and have been surprised. I thought I'd make a little thread on it so it would be (hopefully) a bit more obvious.

In the model horse hobby, we use super glue (CA glue) and baking soda all the time. Baking soda is an accelerant for super glue, you don't have to purchase anything special. Odds are it's in your kitchen or fridge right now.

Got a stubborn piece that won't stay put long enough to get green stuff on it? Or a tiny piece has broken and it's too small to pin. Super glue and baking soda will make sure it stays. Permanently!

When you add baking soda to super glue it hardens instantly so you may want to practice this a couple of times. That way you can see first hand how it's going to react.

Depending on what you're trying to glue, you can do this a couple of different ways. Apply the glue to one end and baking soda to the other piece then put the two together or apply the glue and while making sure you're fingers are well away from the area, sprinkle baking soda on the join. Whichever way you do it, make sure you have it right the first time because you won't be able to change it once you introduce the baking soda.

What happened to this dude? He's a mess! lol! Well, because holding the pieces and juggling the baking soda can be tricky, I usually end up just dumping the baking soda on. lol! First, the cotton ball is there because I have him in my little "third hand" thing to hold him steady. The alligator clips are strong enough to put a dent in the soft metal so I put the cotton ball around his foot to keep it from getting squashed.

The white stuff on his hand his Winsor & Newton Heavy Modeling Paste. I used it to create a flame around the ball he is holding. It cured beautifully but I bumped it and the stupid thing popped off. Baking soda and super glue to the rescue!

I applied glue to the ball in his hand, then put the dried modeling paste back on, then applied the baking soda.

I was also having a heck of a time with his pegasus. The glue wouldn't hold well enough for me to get apoxie on the join of the wings. Any pressure of applying the apoxie popped them off. So I glued and again dumped the baking soda on. Again, I was juggling to hold the pieces but I also splurged and spent $.99 on a box just for gluing. So if I spill it or waste it, it's no big deal.

I let it sit for a few seconds then blow off the excess baking soda.

The glue and the baking soda form a rock hard substance. You can see on the bottom of his hand, it's sloppy and you can't see detail. But a little work with a file and sanding stick and he should be just fine.

Pegasus turned out great too. The white stuff on his back is actually apoxie over the body halves not the super glue/baking soda mix. The wings turned out wonderfully and aren't going anywhere. I have more modeling paste on the base, I'm going to see how it works as water...think ocean surf.

And as an added bonus, the modeling paste works pretty nicely as flame too! (I tweaked the photos so you could better see the detail since it's all white right now.)

So there ya go! Got something that won't stay put? A gap that GS or apoxie isn't working for? Something breaks and you need to resculpt? Try the baking soda and super glue trick!

Good tip, will try this out. I wonder what the baking soda does to make it glue instant?
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Good tip, will try this out. I wonder what the baking soda does to make it glue instant?
    Mostly, it increases the surface area of the glue.

You can do the same thing with micro-balloons. Model airplane guys have been making CA/MB filets for years. MB's have the advantage of being almost weightless. A 5 gallon bucket is about a pound of balloons.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

yup, tis great. it's also great for helping putty stick to things by providing a nice rough area to adhere to
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

And if you have an upset tummy, put a teaspoon of it in a cup of water and drink! Almost instant relief!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post

Baking soda is an accelerant for super glue, you don't have to purchase anything special. Odds are it's in your kitchen or fridge right now.
    Only if the container were the perfect size to prop up something useful! I went out especially and bought baking soda and baking powder. Better than buying the wrong one and having to go back. Checked your article again and gave the baking powder to my local cafe. They apparantly have some use for it...

Great article and thanks again for your explanation in the earlier thread too. Now to have a try. If I appear to be typing slowly in future it's because one hand is stuck to my desk
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    And if you have an upset tummy, put a teaspoon of it in a cup of water and drink! Almost instant relief!
    But leave the super glue out of the mix!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidane View Post
    Only if the container were the perfect size to prop up something useful! I went out especially and bought baking soda and baking powder. Better than buying the wrong one and having to go back. Checked your article again and gave the baking powder to my local cafe. They apparantly have some use for it...

Great article and thanks again for your explanation in the earlier thread too. Now to have a try. If I appear to be typing slowly in future it's because one hand is stuck to my desk
    hahaha! Yeah, I almost glued my fingers to the pegasus last night but that was before I got the baking soda close to it - just regular CA glue is a pain to work with sometimes.

And if all else fails, go make a batch of cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    But leave the super glue out of the mix!
    Superglue helps for the trots.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Superglue helps for the trots.
    Yea, but which way do you apply it? :-)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg