Vote Sniping...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote Sniping...

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Vote Sniping...

Anyone feel like there work is being sniped by unregistered voters attempting to bring down their score....or is it just me? Ive seen absolute quality paintjobs from half a dozen painters who achieve upper 9 scores for them to drop to higher 8s in a flurry of non registered votes.

Maybe voting should be restricted to registered members only? because this is seriously denting my confidence towards posting if Im just gonna get slated by annonymous voters with no explanation as to why.

If its just me then thats fine, I just thought I would put that out there.

I agree, although i have recently joined the site, i have uploaded two models, and i think they would make at least a 6 but apparently not? It may just be the paintjobs, but it is still confidence-harming without comments to go with the scores.

Totally, Its not much to ask for a bit of constructive criticism is it. If its just a popularity contest then the site might as well take voting off all together.

Good luck with the painting waffleman, keep painting and you will improve.

Some people want to earn a living with this hobby and if the voting is to mean anything, it should reflect a true opinion of its quality and not sabotage peoples ability to earn a living.

And judging by past discussions (for which I wasnt a member at the time) to say certain painters fall out of favour is an extremely poor excuse to slight someones work. Might as well change the name of the site to WhoIsTheMostPopularPainter.com

and that still doesnt excuse the ability of annon. voters to bring down peoples scores like they do.

D

p.s. the "its coolminiornot.com not coolpaintjobornot" argument is very condescending.
    Last edited by DannyVasquez; 09-03-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    Hahaha!!!!

No offense to the op, I hear ya, but this discussion has been discussed soooo much it's just something you gotta deal with. Vote Sniping, Vote padding, etc etc - if you are looking to make a living, I wouldn't worry about the score. If you see an 8.0 that should be a 9+, others or potential clients will see the same thing as well. Let the paintjob speak for itself
    My Rank -

To be fair, ive not been around that long. So I didnt know.

I see what your saying, I just wonder what the point in voting is then.

I dont think its too much to ask to change the voting system or at least give a reason why not wether it be technical or otherwise.

But hey, its been said. So ill leave it at that.

I've noticed this as well also sometimes I've noticed that a mini gets a certain number of views however they fall way below the number of votes per mini.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyVasquez View Post
    I dont think its too much to ask to change the voting system or at least give a reason why not wether it be technical or otherwise.
    Danny simple answer: use the search facility to look up previous threads on the subject of Sniping and changing the voting system.
    In one of them Chern Ann has stated that to change the voting system would mean dismantling the site and starting from scratch and he wasn't about to go down that road.

Sniping is a pain in the rear, but the value of the images on here is not really in what some anonymous 13 year old does out of spite, but what you a think of the mini.

@Waffleman, if you are looking for more constructive criticism use the forums, you will get more response and more feedback.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

Use the forums for a more detailed way to get feedback and criticism and ignore the voting system. It's just a stat. I use it as a rough guage of current progress, it most certainly is not a perfect guage. Also bear in mind that there is an algorithm which ditches dodgy scores eventually and re-balances the real score. If everyone is voting 8 and someone votes 1, that vote of 1 will be removed I think? Clarification from the mods on that one, or read through the old threads I guess.

Please don't let if phase you or put you off posting stuff. There seems to be alot more new people posting work lately and this is really great. Plus what a bunch of dickhead snipers think about your work shouldn't matter at the end of the day. We are all here to see cool minis WITH cool paint jobs or just hang out and share projects/advice. It's not about the voting.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Anyone feel like there work is being sniped by unregistered voters attempting to bring down their score....or is it just me? Ive seen absolute quality paintjobs from half a dozen painters who achieve upper 9 scores for them to drop to higher 8s in a flurry of non registered votes.

Maybe voting should be restricted to registered members only? because this is seriously denting my confidence towards posting if Im just gonna get slated by annonymous voters with no explanation as to why.

If its just me then thats fine, I just thought I would put that out there.
    tell me about it. i see shoddy ass work score high 6 low 7.

then i see really great clean well photographed work also score... high 6 to low 7.

then i see pretty decent work, but nothing special get like high 8????? how does that work??? someone must be bidding 10 on it over and over again.

the rating system is crap. it's more of a piss off than anything else.
    Last edited by MrPickles; 09-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    Use the forums for a more detailed way to get feedback and criticism and ignore the voting system. It's just a stat. I use it as a rough guage of current progress, it most certainly is not a perfect guage. Also bear in mind that there is an algorithm which ditches dodgy scores eventually and re-balances the real score. If everyone is voting 8 and someone votes 1, that vote of 1 will be removed I think? Clarification from the mods on that one, or read through the old threads I guess.

Please don't let if phase you or put you off posting stuff. There seems to be alot more new people posting work lately and this is really great. Plus what a bunch of dickhead snipers think about your work shouldn't matter at the end of the day. We are all here to see cool minis WITH cool paint jobs or just hang out and share projects/advice. It's not about the voting.

dfb
    Thanks DFB, I appreciate your comments. I just found it hard to understand why a site like this would have a voting system if it didnt really serve a purpose.

I have no doubt there's kids sad enough to just go on a down voting spree for the hell of it.

ok i know my post wasn't that helpful and it must be annoying if you are doing this to earn money but there is a new voting thread every couple of months or so! couple with me finding that pic this morning, i HAD to use it..

as for why there is a voting system if it's flawed. it worked ok in the beginning. but the dynamic of the site have changed, the whole voting thing has become much more important as it can effect ebay auctions. plus the politics of it has changed, gw seem to get better votes etc. anyway, as mentioned, if you want to get better posting on the forums will give you better advice
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

Well I think the voting system is a fun thing, I do personally love the voting system, I vote sensibly, as most people here probably do. Unfortunately there are always a few people who spoil it for the rest. Thats a pretty universally applicable fact right there. As I say, use it for fun, but I wouldn't attach great importance to it. The serious painters and players here certainly know a good model when they see it and won't think any less of it because of a low score.

dfb

ps - waffleman - I left a couple of comments on your pics.

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Thanks DFB, I appreciate your comments. I just found it hard to understand why a site like this would have a voting system if it didnt really serve a purpose.
    you need fan boys/girls. Thats always a way to up your score. Got a facebook account, myspace, google something or other, Etc... Post a link of your mini fro your friends to vote. Instant happiness for you, maybe. Or go for GW mini. people seem to love those. They tend to get a higher score even it the paint job is crappy. But just remember, if you stress out to much on it, you wont be happy. And no one want to do something that makes them unhappy.

+1 for a GW mini
    +2 for a space marine
    +1 for cool backdrop
    +1 for good photography
    -1 for a game system mini that's not GW
    0 change for non game mini such as smart max (studio mcvay use to enjoy this status but will no longer due to sedition wars)
    -2 for warmachine
    -2 if you have fewer then 200 posts
    -1 if you ask for feed back
    -2 for small photos
    -2 for bad lighting
    -3 for bad camera focus
    Please follow the standard format. Deviating from this grading system will result in being ground into a resin compound to be used in making GW fine cast

These threads are a bunch of shite really aren't they? If you don't want your figures to be judged and voted on, don't post them. If you want better scores, paint better figures and make sure you post quality photos.

Everyone who posts is in the same boat and yet some people still manage to score over 9. How could this possibly be with all those nasty snipers?!!!
    Last edited by Spacemunkie; 09-04-2011 at 02:29 AM.

The following is 100% my big fat opinion, and should not be taken to be gospel or any other kind of Ultimate Truth.

The voting system on the site is flawed, and I think most people agree on that, from newbies to old crusties. It's open to sniping, and equally, it's open to vote rigging. However, as stated above, it would be far too much hassle to fix it. This site is not intended as a marketing tool for those who wish to sell their wares on ebay. It's fundamentally a forum for people who share an interest to post their work and hear the opinions of their peers. As such, the votes for any given mini you post are best used as an approximate guideline for how you personally are progressing as a painter. The word "approximate" is key here, as votes can fluctuate for reasons unconnected to the mini or paintjob. Comparing your work to others' is a good way to get demotivated in any field, and painting minis is no exception, so you're best off just keeping tabs on your own stuff and using other people's posts as inspiration. The majority of voters on the site seem to vote sensibly, and as long as we don't attach too much importance to our scores, the snipers' little pot-shots will have no effect on how people see our work.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    ok i know my post wasn't that helpful and it must be annoying if you are doing this to earn money but there is a new voting thread every couple of months or so! couple with me finding that pic this morning, i HAD to use it..

as for why there is a voting system if it's flawed. it worked ok in the beginning. but the dynamic of the site have changed, the whole voting thing has become much more important as it can effect ebay auctions. plus the politics of it has changed, gw seem to get better votes etc. anyway, as mentioned, if you want to get better posting on the forums will give you better advice
    I liked it, it made me laugh. I only realised it was a well covered topic after the fact. I just wish Id found them before starting this stupid thread because I seemed to have caused offence. I would have deleted the tread several posts ago..if I could. But its done now and ive "reaped the whirlwind" as it were.

To all who felt offended by my words, I apologies.

could we leave it at that? I think the less said the better yes?